Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

KWI: Air side transit with separate tix; don't qualify for visa on arrival

Old Aug 20, 18, 4:40 am
Original Poster

I want to fly Jazeera to KWI and Turkish to JFK. I don't qualify for a Kuwait visa on arrival but I thought of the following:
  • Take a Jazeera flight to Dubai (qualify for visa on arrival)
  • During the transit stopover in KWI, go the transfer desk, get Turkish airlines boarding pass and fly to JFK
A few questions regarding this (admittedly hare-brained) plan:
  • I know this is risky in case the Turkish flight gets delayed etc., but assuming that my flight to JFK is on time, is there something else which could potentially go wrong?
  • Can the transfer desk at KWI give passes for Turkish airlines?
  • Is there any issue with transport between different terminals etc.?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Old Aug 21, 18, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by wariobahn View Post
I want to fly Jazeera to KWI and Turkish to JFK. I don't qualify for a Kuwait visa on arrival but I thought of the following:
  • Take a Jazeera flight to Dubai (qualify for visa on arrival)
  • During the transit stopover in KWI, go the transfer desk, get Turkish airlines boarding pass and fly to JFK
A few questions regarding this (admittedly hare-brained) plan:
  • I know this is risky in case the Turkish flight gets delayed etc., but assuming that my flight to JFK is on time, is there something else which could potentially go wrong?
  • Can the transfer desk at KWI give passes for Turkish airlines?
  • Is there any issue with transport between different terminals etc.?
Thanks a lot in advance!
There are places I wouldn't want to get flagged for an decidedly odd-ball travel pattern. Kuwait might be one, but JFK would certainly be another.
Old Aug 22, 18, 1:18 am
Original Poster

I don't think the travel pattern is so odd. As far as they are concerned at JFK, I flew from KWI after taking a one-way flight. This forum is full of people doing such 'airside' connections. Any other potential problems you can see?
Old Aug 22, 18, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think the travel pattern is so odd. As far as they are concerned at JFK, I flew from KWI after taking a one-way flight. This forum is full of people doing such 'airside' connections.
A passenger from the middle-east, transiting Istanbul, no clue about the origin of your itinerary in the system. Sure, you'll be fine
Old Aug 22, 18, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
A passenger from the middle-east, transiting Istanbul, no clue about the origin of your itinerary in the system. Sure, you'll be fine
Nearly all MEA/West Asia traffic flying to the US transit from Dubai, Doha or Istanbul so it's not really anything out of ordinary.

As I see it the most that could happen is that the immigration dudes might ask where I came to Kuwait from...? At that point I could brandish my Jazeera boarding pass.

I wasn't aware this was such a big issue to be honest. I've been to the US many times and never had an issue.

Last edited by wariobahn; Aug 22, 18 at 11:05 am
Old Aug 22, 18, 11:01 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Checked luggage?
Old Aug 22, 18, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
Checked luggage?
Nope no checked luggage just a hand carry.
Old Aug 23, 18, 8:27 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Nearly all MEA/West Asia traffic flying to the US transit from Dubai, Doha or Istanbul so it's not really anything out of ordinary.
It's out of the ordinary to make 3 stops on 2 different one-way tickets to the US.

People flying to the US via the UAE, Qatar or Turkey, are usually from "first world" countries, or are citizens of the the country where they start their flight, and have a return ticket.

What passport do you hold that prevents you from transiting Kuwait? Do you hold a US visa and what sort of status do you have in the US?

Have a read of this thread: Homeland Security interview (after CAI-LHR before allowing LHR-JFK)

I think you may be denied boarding in Dubai and possibly in Istanbul if you make it there.
Old Aug 23, 18, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wasn't aware this was such a big issue to be honest. I've been to the US many times and never had an issue.
I was stopped at EWR getting off a Dublin flight, and taken for an "interview". Turned out my sin was starting the journey from Ireland on a UK passport. Whatever software or eyeball the US border security people used had flagged me for attention. I'd made similar trips to the US starting at non-UK airports before, and I've made them since, no more problems entering the US but I'm occasionally questioned closely at the check-in security.

So I'd have thought middle-east origin, (what will appear as) evasion of normal check-in procedures, transfer at Istanbul: stands a very good chance of close scrutiny. Perhaps whatever is driving the odd itinerary counters the risk, but only you know the answer to that.
Old Aug 23, 18, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
It's out of the ordinary to make 3 stops on 2 different one-way tickets to the US.

People flying to the US via the UAE, Qatar or Turkey, are usually from "first world" countries, or are citizens of the the country where they start their flight, and have a return ticket.

What passport do you hold that prevents you from transiting Kuwait? Do you hold a US visa and what sort of status do you have in the US?

Have a read of this thread: Homeland Security interview (after CAI-LHR before allowing LHR-JFK)

I think you may be denied boarding in Dubai and possibly in Istanbul if you make it there.
Well, that thread was quite something to read. Needless to say, it put an end to these ideas in my head. I'm a South Asian, so I can expect it to be a lot worse than caucasian Londoners lol. I suppose I'll just take an Air China flight to LAX (with stopover in Beijing) and hopefully, it will go smoothly.

P.S. South Asian with an F (student visa). Have been to the US before via Etihad/Abu Dhabi.
Old Sep 25, 18, 3:56 pm

Programs: SQ PPS
Flew on Jazeera DXB-KWI once. Liked the product.

A couple of issues:
1. Flew SQ SIN-DXB and wanted to get the BP airside at transit check in at DXB - the handling agent claimed I did not qualify for VOA in Kuwait (so had to enter UAE and go to the check-in desk - no issue there or in Kuwait...)
2. No interline for bags on Jazeera (or at least that was the case 2-3 years ago) - SQ tagged my bag to Jazeera, which resulted in confusion at the gate (the bag flew DXB-KWI on Jazeera the following day)

Technically I can't see an issue with the plan - plenty of passengers connect at KWI.

Then again, I wouldn't be 100% keen on the plan on separate tickets if I was unable to enter Kuwait if needed.

Search this Thread