Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Doha airport Q's - please help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Hi all -

I'm in transit in Doha next week for 9 hours from midnight to morning, and have some questions. I've tried contacting Qatar (who I'm flying with) and the airport themselves, along with several lounges but the service has been really poor; their contact forms are often broke, email address are hard to find and when I can find them no one replies, and phone lines aren't answered and when I do get through to one they can't help me.

My questions are:

1) Are there any baggage storage facilities in the airport? I'm planning on going into the city to kill a few hours. I read online there were some in the ORYX lounge, but have emailed them and they said there isn't, and can't help me with what else is available elsewhere.

2) If I did go into Doha, am I right in saying I won't need a visa? I have read if you have an Australian passport you're good; I have both British and Australian passports.

3) If I did go in, and I know this depends hugely on how busy the airport is, but are things quite smooth at that airport. For example would I just be going through a quick immigration check, or are things streamlined for city visits, as I know they run regularly in the daytime. I want to see the city but I don't want to make things stressful.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by dilby
Hi all -

I'm in transit in Doha next week for 9 hours from midnight to morning, and have some questions. I've tried contacting Qatar (who I'm flying with) and the airport themselves, along with several lounges but the service has been really poor; their contact forms are often broke, email address are hard to find and when I can find them no one replies, and phone lines aren't answered and when I do get through to one they can't help me.

My questions are:

1) Are there any baggage storage facilities in the airport? I'm planning on going into the city to kill a few hours. I read online there were some in the ORYX lounge, but have emailed them and they said there isn't, and can't help me with what else is available elsewhere.

2) If I did go into Doha, am I right in saying I won't need a visa? I have read if you have an Australian passport you're good; I have both British and Australian passports.

3) If I did go in, and I know this depends hugely on how busy the airport is, but are things quite smooth at that airport. For example would I just be going through a quick immigration check, or are things streamlined for city visits, as I know they run regularly in the daytime. I want to see the city but I don't want to make things stressful.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help!
You are fine without a visa.

If you are travelling in business-class or have QR status the immigration process is streamlined. Otherwise it can be quite a wait - but only because of the volume of passengers and the (usually low) number of positions open. But after that it's simply put your hand bags through an x-ray machine, the go through customs and you're there. You easily get an taxi or an Uber (much cheaper); or even a bus. The folk on the information desk in the arrivals area are helpful.

I'm sure there must be somewhere to leave bags: though I've never had to do so, so can't confirm any options. There's a Qatar Airways forum: you might want to enquire there.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Thank you for this. When you say QR status, do you mean simply signing up to the free tier of their frequent flyer club? (Effectively the same as a BA blue exec member)?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by dilby
Thank you for this. When you say QR status, do you mean simply signing up to the free tier of their frequent flyer club? (Effectively the same as a BA blue exec member)?
Sadly, not that simple. Emerald in other OneWorld programmes (Gold in BAEC speak) won't work either. But it could be a quiet time, the immigration desks open could be many and the agents manning them could be working efficiently: in which case you'll be through in no time.....

....or you could buy the al Maha welcome service at around £60 (QAR300) which gets you special processing through the arrival lounge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.