Wiki Posts
Search

TLV, Israel - Car Rental

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

TLV, Israel - Car Rental

Hi,

Is there a cheaper way to purchase the mandatory coverage/insurance when renting a car in Israel: Collision Damage Waiver (I can use CSR), Theft Protection, and Supplemental Liability Insurance?
I'm looking for an alternative of purchasing directly from the rental company, which more often than not is way more than the actual rental daily rate? I also have an Israeli Passport but I don't reside in Israel.

Thanks
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Try doing a search "Israel car insurance" and this, among many other threads, shows up Israel car rental insurance
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by justsawaufo
Hi,

Is there a cheaper way to purchase the mandatory coverage/insurance when renting a car in Israel: Collision Damage Waiver (I can use CSR), Theft Protection, and Supplemental Liability Insurance?
I'm looking for an alternative of purchasing directly from the rental company, which more often than not is way more than the actual rental daily rate? I also have an Israeli Passport but I don't reside in Israel.
Thanks
In a nutshell, NOPE at least I havent found a way and I rent a few times a year over the past decades, fwiw Israel is no different then Costa Rica and Im sure there are other places as well
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:24 am

The only way to save a few bucks is to have a credit card that covers Israel ( make sure to bring a letter from the CC company saying they cover Israel!) You will STILL be liable for the liability portion. THAT is mandated by the government. Also, do not fall for any third party site which claims to sell you insurance. The Israeli companies will not accept it.

Also, I hope you realize that you are going to have to pay the 17% VAT--since you indicate you are Israeli. Your country of residence is irrelevant. The companies look for the tourist entry paper and you will not have one. THAT is the only way to avoid VAT.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for rellying, is it possible that LDW is $30 a day with enterprise? That is crazy
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Thanks for rellying, is it possible that LDW is $30 a day with enterprise? That is crazy

The price of LDW depends on the type of car you rent, $30 is possible if youre renting a BMW or other expensive car.

Try this link for a quote: I use them 3x a yr for many a yr for many yrs: Noach-Car Israel Car Rental Reservation havent found anyone who beats them yet. Its either Budget or Hertz and the cars arent new and are high mileage, if its with Budget make sure you take pics of all sides of the car since the damage paper you get is usually wrong, Eldan is usually the same

Last edited by craz; Jun 16, 2018 at 10:56 pm
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
The price of LDW depends on the type of car you rent, $30 is possible if youre renting a BMW or other expensive car.

Try this link for a quote: I use them 3x a yr for many a yr for many yrs: Noach-Car Israel Car Rental Reservation havent found anyone who beats them yet. Its either Budget or Hertz and the cars arent new and are high mileage, if its with Budget make sure you take pics of all sides of the car since the damage paper you get is usually wrong, Eldan is usually the same
The above quote was for the cheapest automatic car.
Thanks for the recommendation, I asked them for a quote, let's see what they will come up with. I'm OK with high mileage, but when you say aren't new, what are you referring to? 2016-17 or older?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:00 am

I doubt they have any 'old' cars, but even for a 2017 model it won't be unusual to get the car with 50-60-70,000KM.
That being said, renting directly from Hertz (and perhaps being a member of Gold Plus helps) I can't recall the last time I got anything with over 10,000KM.
I usually pay around 30-35$ per day, including the basic LDW/CDW/TP, but I've never rented during peak times (summer/local holidays) with such a short notice.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ditto
I doubt they have any 'old' cars, but even for a 2017 model it won't be unusual to get the car with 50-60-70,000KM.
That being said, renting directly from Hertz (and perhaps being a member of Gold Plus helps) I can't recall the last time I got anything with over 10,000KM.
I usually pay around 30-35$ per day, including the basic LDW/CDW/TP, but I've never rented during peak times (summer/local holidays) with such a short notice.
for the likes of a Hyndai Accent (i25) I usually pay per day$25-27 during Peak Holiday times (automatic). The closer you arrive to the start of the Hag(Holiday) the better the chance of getting allow mileage car since those who got there before got stuck with the very high mileage cars. I dont care Id rather pay less $$ and get a car that has seen its better days, its 100% in working condition and if theres a problem a call to the 24/7 line gets it fixed, eg 1 time the car wouldnt start in the morning, battery was dead, < 1 hr a crew puled up and replaced the a battery that was with Hertz. Ive gotten cars in the 70-80-90k, then again what I drive at home is just < 150k and runs as if it was just driven for the 1st time.
True about renting straight with HZ and getting a newer car but it comes at a steep price that Im not willing to pay, besides the more dings on the car the less chance they will say I did it
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:28 am
Suspended

The above quote was for the cheapest automatic car.
Thanks for the recommendation, I asked them for a quote, let's see what they will come up with. I'm OK with high mileage, but when you say aren't new, what are you referring to? 2016-17 or older?
with my people LDW on an automatic Hyndai Accent is apx $14 a day a Mazda 3 1 cat above is the same or at worst $1 more, when I rent almost everytime the LDW is more then the cost of the car per day. Maybe they do it to save on their taxes, at the end of the day all I care about is what is the total cost per day I dont care about the make up

The only problem one can run into is during Peak times that the cars are already spoken for so rates will be higher just as anywhere here in the US. Would appreciate a follow up on how Noachs rates stacked up
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

with my people LDW on an automatic Hyndai Accent is apx $14 a day a Mazda 3 1 cat above is the same or at worst $1 more, when I rent almost everytime the LDW is more then the cost of the car per day. Maybe they do it to save on their taxes, at the end of the day all I care about is what is the total cost per day I dont care about the make up

The only problem one can run into is during Peak times that the cars are already spoken for so rates will be higher just as anywhere here in the US. Would appreciate a follow up on how Noachs rates stacked up
Yeah, I got a good quote from NoachCar:

Kia Picanto/Hyundai i10 automatic class is $22 per day
Nissan Micra /Hyundai i20 automatic class is $23 per day
Mazda2 /Ford Fiesta automatic class is $24 per day
Hyundai Accent i25 automatic class is $26 per day
Mazda3/Toyota Corolla 1.6 automatic class is $28 per day
Ford Focus Tourer/ Kia Ceed Station Wagon 1.6 automatic class is $30 per day

Below please find the costs for a 4-5 day rental:

Kia Picanto/Hyundai i10 automatic class is $23 per day
Nissan Micra /Hyundai i20 automatic class is $24 per day
Mazda2 /Ford Fiesta automatic class is $25 per day
Hyundai Accent i25 automatic class is $28 per day
Mazda3/Toyota Corolla 1.6 automatic class is $30 per day
Ford Focus Tourer/ Kia Ceed Station Wagon 1.6 automatic class is $32 per day

Rates are total and include the Liability 3rd party insurance that is a must, unlimited km and 2nd driver free.
This is with your credit card covering the collision insurance (like Chase Sapphire card etc).

Airport service fee is $39.5-$42 one time per rental on top of the above.
Rates do not include the 17% VAT that tourists are not charged.

Payment is at pickup time
You can cancel any time

In Israel there is the basic rental cost and then the insurance part. the CDW-Collision, TP-Theft and LI-Liability 3rd party, these 3 are a must (mandatory).
Some credit cards cover CDW &TP for car rental also in Israel, Often the rental company requires a written proof at pickup time from the credit company that the card actually covers CDW in Israel. However you still need to have the LI insurance part, as no card covers it. Please note that the LI-Liability 3rd party is already included in our offer.
Do you know if Chase Sapphire Reserve covers CDW and TP or just CDW?
From Chase:

Coverage Amount/Period

• Up to $75,000
  • Vehicle rental periods that do not exceed nor intend to exceed 31 consecutive days

What's Covered

• Physical damage and/or theft of covered rental vehicle - is that TP?
  • Reasonable and customary towing charges related to a covered loss to take the vehicle to the nearest qualified repair facility
  • Valid loss-of-use charges incurred by the rental car agency
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Yeah, I got a good quote from NoachCar:

Do you know if Chase Sapphire Reserve covers CDW and TP or just CDW?
From Chase:

Coverage Amount/Period

• Up to $75,000
  • Vehicle rental periods that do not exceed nor intend to exceed 31 consecutive days

What's Covered

• Physical damage and/or theft of covered rental vehicle - is that TP?
  • Reasonable and customary towing charges related to a covered loss to take the vehicle to the nearest qualified repair facility
  • Valid loss-of-use charges incurred by the rental car agency
Happy they came thru once again, as I said as long as they have access to cars Ive never found anyone who beats them rate wise

As for CC I dont have a SAP I used to use my ThankYou but no longer since as of 7/1 they wont cover, loss from not being able to rent , administration fees and a couple of others I think Theft. I will use my Ink which covers all of that.. when I rent there I never ever take any ins from any company I rent from (besides the mandatory LDW) and I had my share of damages to cars. Nor did I ever have to pay even $1 out of my own pocket. What you should do is call Chase and ask them to email or mail you a letter stating that you have CDW coverage in Israel. Otherwise they will make you call up the US so that a rep can tell them you hav ethe CDW
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Happy they came thru once again, as I said as long as they have access to cars Ive never found anyone who beats them rate wise

As for CC I dont have a SAP I used to use my ThankYou but no longer since as of 7/1 they wont cover, loss from not being able to rent , administration fees and a couple of others I think Theft. I will use my Ink which covers all of that.. when I rent there I never ever take any ins from any company I rent from (besides the mandatory LDW) and I had my share of damages to cars. Nor did I ever have to pay even $1 out of my own pocket. What you should do is call Chase and ask them to email or mail you a letter stating that you have CDW coverage in Israel. Otherwise they will make you call up the US so that a rep can tell them you hav ethe CDW
Thanks Craz.

I have Ink Business Preferred, which looks to provide similar protection as Chase Reserve. I will get Chase to send me a letter stating I have CDW coverage, but I'm afraid it will not speak specficially about Theft Protection and I will get forced to buy it. Thoughts?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Thanks Craz.

I have Ink Business Preferred, which looks to provide similar protection as Chase Reserve. I will get Chase to send me a letter stating I have CDW coverage, but I'm afraid it will not speak specficially about Theft Protection and I will get forced to buy it. Thoughts?
No worries, my letter always says CDW and I was Never charged or forced to take TP. The problem will be for those after 7/1 using Citis TY, where TP wont be covered any longer and if the rental company doesnt know and you drive off and the car is stolen then it will be out of that persons own pocket. As long as Chase covers it you are covered. So as long as you can say you were on Biz then Ink is OK, eg hard for a postal employee to say well I was in _____ on work related Biz, if you put down your occupation and you can come up with a reason (if need be) why you are there on Biz then it shouldnt be aproblem.But if CR has the same coverage why risk it?

Of cause since you will be using an Ink your trip is a Biz trip ;-) otherwise use Chase reserve, Im always on Biz so Ink will cover me, Im always looking for new investments around the world , after all part of the name of my company has 'Intl' as part of the name. would hate to have a problem with a rental and Chase decline coverage if I wasnt traveling on Biz, bear in mind that all usage with an Ink CC is suppose to be Biz related only
justsawaufo likes this.

Last edited by craz; Jun 18, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

No worries, my letter always says CDW and I was Never charged or forced to take TP. The problem will be for those after 7/1 using Citis TY, where TP wont be covered any longer and if the rental company doesnt know and you drive off and the car is stolen then it will be out of that persons own pocket. As long as Chase covers it you are covered. So as long as you can say you were on Biz then Ink is OK, eg hard for a postal employee to say well I was in _____ on work related Biz, if you put down your occupation and you can come up with a reason (if need be) why you are there on Biz then it shouldnt be aproblem.But if CR has the same coverage why risk it?

Of cause since you will be using an Ink your trip is a Biz trip ;-) otherwise use Chase reserve, Im always on Biz so Ink will cover me, Im always looking for new investments around the world , after all part of the name of my company has 'Intl' as part of the name. would hate to have a problem with a rental and Chase decline coverage if I wasnt traveling on Biz, bear in mind that all usage with an Ink CC is suppose to be Biz related only
Thanks - I appreciate your help
I used Ink many times before for Biz (flights,hotel,cars), it will be just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.