Touring Egypt During Ramadan

Old Jun 1, 18, 11:14 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Question Touring Egypt During Ramadan

Long time reader, first time poster here. I'm hoping to visit Egypt in mid-May 2019 which falls in the middle of Ramadan. I searched through old posts here and on TripAdvisor and there doesn't seem to be a consensus on how much Ramadan affects the hours/operations of the historical sites and tours. Egypt's been on my radar for a while now and this is the first time I have the schedule to pull it off. That being said, I wouldn't want to commit and then find out things aren't open. Any advice and experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 18, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA DL HH
Ramadan doesn't effect museums and sites in Egypt. Only the greatest Kingdom of SA is closed for 6 weeks.
All the restaurants and stores around tourists attractions were open (was there last week). Some restaurants in the city would open after 4pm. So if you want to eat kusheri you have to wait until 4pm. Other than that, business as usual.
Old Jun 2, 18, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by SomebodyMidnight View Post
Long time reader, first time poster here. I'm hoping to visit Egypt in mid-May 2019 which falls in the middle of Ramadan. I searched through old posts here and on TripAdvisor and there doesn't seem to be a consensus on how much Ramadan affects the hours/operations of the historical sites and tours. Egypt's been on my radar for a while now and this is the first time I have the schedule to pull it off. That being said, I wouldn't want to commit and then find out things aren't open. Any advice and experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Tourist Egypt functions reasonably normally over Ramadan: hours may be curtailed but you shouldn't be inconvenienced, and you will be able to eat and drink. It's worth remembering that christians probably make up somewhere around a fifth of the Egyptian population, so not everyone will be fasting - though those not doing so will be discreet about taking daytime refreshment.
Old Jun 6, 18, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I toured Egypt during Ramadan. Of course I didn't know anything different but we didn't notice anything different about our trip or it didn't appear that we couldn't do things. Our guide and driver took us to restaurants and sat with us as we ate. The restaurants were still busy and it didn't look like it was only tourists eating there.

Search this Thread