FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Middle East (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east-481/)
-   -   Getting into Oryx airport Hotel if stopover is longer than 24 hours (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east/1911172-getting-into-oryx-airport-hotel-if-stopover-longer-than-24-hours.html)

Pgiglia May 25, 2018 5:09 pm

Getting into Oryx airport Hotel if stopover is longer than 24 hours

Hi all, I’m new here, please be kind if I’m posting in the wrong place. So I want to book a flight for my non English speaking elderly mum, but the layover in Doha is very short (1h 40min) and because the two flights are so long I think she’d benefit from taking a break at the Oryx hotel. Problem is there aren’t any flights with a longer layover so I thought I’d book a flight with a stopover. That would give her a little bit over 26 hours to rest before her next flight. My question is: will she then need to pick up her bags? If so, will she have to go through immigration? I read on the hotel website that they are a transit only hotel and do not recommend going through immigration, but I guess she’d have no other option if the stopover is longer than 24 hours. Has anyone done that before or got any tips? Thank you!

IAN-UK May 29, 2018 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Pgiglia (Post 29794727)
Hi all, I’m new here, please be kind if I’m posting in the wrong place. So I want to book a flight for my non English speaking elderly mum, but the layover in Doha is very short (1h 40min) and because the two flights are so long I think she’d benefit from taking a break at the Oryx hotel. Problem is there aren’t any flights with a longer layover so I thought I’d book a flight with a stopover. That would give her a little bit over 26 hours to rest before her next flight. My question is: will she then need to pick up her bags? If so, will she have to go through immigration? I read on the hotel website that they are a transit only hotel and do not recommend going through immigration, but I guess she’d have no other option if the stopover is longer than 24 hours. Has anyone done that before or got any tips? Thank you!

Presumably this is a Qatar Airways issue, so I asked a Mod to shift the post over to the QR forum. I'm sure you'll get plenty response there!

ORDPLATAA Jun 1, 2018 1:22 pm

The Oryx Hotel at the Hamad International Airport is indeed located inside the main terminal before passport control & customs. The hotel can be booked online and the rooms are available for a maximum of 24 hours. The hotel is pricey (random dates had a rate of 950 QAR) and can be booked online. Your mom would not need to pass through immigration or customs but would need pass through the transfer security area of the airport. I am not sure if QR (assuming that is the carrier she will be on) will check a bag all the way through with a 26 hour stopover - you may need to check with QR on that. Note that, if they do check it through to the final destination, she would not have access to it during the layover. Also, note that when reserving a room at the transit hotel, the person checking in needs to present the physical credit card used when booking the reservation.

If you go to Home - Oryx Airport Hotel you will see more information. They also have a link where you can email specific questions to the hotel. I did that recently and they were swift in their responses.