Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Israel for PRIDE, I have to ask the safety question.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Traveling to Israel the 3rd-11th of June. I will be in Jerusalem the first 2 nights then Tel Aviv for the rest. I feel obnoxious and annoying asking but due to the upcoming U.S. Embassy move etc just wanted to get some feedback from local individuals. Would anyone reconsider plans for PRIDE?
Old May 13, 2018, 3:53 pm

You are not obnoxious or annoying, it's perfectly OK to be concerned and cautious. The move will take place today (it's already Monday here). I have just looked up this year's Tel Aviv Pride and I see it's on June 8th. That's 25 days between the events (or 20 days till you arrival date). I don't think you will encounter any problem. While I don't know much about the Pride event or any specifically LGBT-related topic, I'll be happy to assist with other aspects of your visit if you have any questions. I am sure you will enjoy your trip.
Old May 13, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I have been really looking forward to the trip I think media and friends have just been triggering my random anxiety lol. I’m celebrating my 33rd birthday and can’t wait to enjoy the beach and events.
ijkh and FlyerTLV like this.
Old May 13, 2018, 4:10 pm

Ah, the media... I will not go there... Looks like you'll have a huge beach party for your birthday, I hope you have a great time!
Dustin Carter likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dustin Carter
Thanks, I have been really looking forward to the trip I think media and friends have just been triggering my random anxiety lol. I’m celebrating my 33rd birthday and can’t wait to enjoy the beach and events.
If it helps you at all. Im heading over on Tues for a week, booked it back in Nov, was hoping to do a hike or 2 in The Golan, not sure it will be open to non-Golan residents. I was routing via BRU but they will be on strike on Weds, so when I called to get rebooked both the agency(Flex Pts tkt) and UA, said I can get a full refund due to the strike if I dont want to go over due to the situation.. I said heck , if anyone needs to be worried its those in Syria or Gaza, and connecting now in ZRH
FlyerTLV and Dustin Carter like this.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by FlyerTLV
You are not obnoxious or annoying, it's perfectly OK to be concerned and cautious. The move will take place today (it's already Monday here). I have just looked up this year's Tel Aviv Pride and I see it's on June 8th. That's 25 days between the events (or 20 days till you arrival date). I don't think you will encounter any problem. While I don't know much about the Pride event or any specifically LGBT-related topic, I'll be happy to assist with other aspects of your visit if you have any questions. I am sure you will enjoy your trip.
Staying on the caution side of things, if the OP requires any form of consular assistance I'm guessing the large consular facility will remain in Tel Aviv, with the Jerusalem embassy pretty much bare-bones.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Staying on the caution side of things, if the OP requires any form of consular assistance I'm guessing the large consular facility will remain in Tel Aviv, with the Jerusalem embassy pretty much bare-bones.
Partially

The new set-up is as follows

Embassy (responsible for the national relationship)
  • Main office (but tiny): Jerusalem
  • Branch Office (but larger): Tel Aviv
  • Ambassador: Shuttling between both
Consulate (for citizen services and the like)
  • Jerusalem: 14 David Flusser
  • Tel Aviv: 71 Hayarkon
  • Haifa: 26 Ben Gurion (Consular agency provides emergency ACS, not a full consulate) https://il.usembassy.gov/embassy-con...gent-in-haifa/
  • For residents of Palestinian Areas A & B, the Consulate-General in Jerusalem provides off-site assistance
OP, note that you will be in Jerusalem during Ramadan. Nothing to do with the embassy move, but tensions do sometimes heighten during Ramadan. Not about avoiding the area but being aware of your surroundings, especially in the Old City (mostly the Muslim Quarter as well as the overlap with the Christian Quarter, and definitely the Temple Mount).
Old May 15, 2018, 9:39 am

Hi
I would not change the plans because of the embassy's move to Jerusalem. From my experience, this is no different from any other ordinary day, and the security there is certainly good. I've been to Israel many times and the pride parade is an experience I would never give it up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.