Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Visiting Petra from Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem?

Old Apr 28, 18, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold

Hello FTers,

I am spending 10 days in Israel in late June for work, and the wife is joining me afterwards for a week of tourism.

We were thinking about visiting Petra, either from Tel-Aviv or from Jerusalem. While flying TLV-AMM seems to be an option, most websites and tourist guides suggest either booking a tour from Israel or going solo from Eilat/Aqaba. Do any of you have any suggestions/experiences regarding this? Any tour operators you could recommend?

Also, it seems Argentine passports can get a visa on arrival for Jordan. Is this only available for people flying to Jordan, or can you also get a VoA when crossing by land?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Marambio
Old Apr 29, 18, 12:00 am

Whichever way you go to Petra it will take two or three days of your vacation Your options are:
- fly to Amman from TLV and proceed overland to Petra
- fly to Eilat from either TLV or SDV (Sde Dov airport in north Tel-Aviv) and go to Petra on a tour or on your own.
- Take a bus from either Jerusalem or Tel-Aviv to Eilat (about 5 hrs) and continue.
Tour companies that get many recommendations on the forums are "Desert Eco" (tours from Eilat) and "Abraham Tours" (two-day tours from Jerusalem or Tel-Aviv, but you only spend half a day at Petra).

HOWEVER ...... with only 7 day in total and so much to see in Israel, you should not spend two (or three) of the days traveling to and from Petra. Either extend your trip or postpone Petra to your next visit.

In Israel, you should plan AT LEAST two days in Jerusalem, a day at the Dead Sea (Massada, Ein Gedi and a short swim), a day in Tel-Aviv and the remainder in the Galilee (rent a car for a few days)..
Old Apr 29, 18, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Marambio View Post
While flying TLV-AMM seems to be an option, most websites and tourist guides suggest either booking a tour from Israel or going solo from Eilat/Aqaba.
Flights TLV-AMM tend to be insanely expensive. If you decide to fly, check the option of using miles (e.g., only 9000 BA avios per person per one-way).

I agree that one week is not enough for even the highlights of Israel. Adding Petra will add a lot of stress.

Shuly
Old Apr 29, 18, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Thanks everyone for your kind suggestions.

We are still working on the itinerary. I have already been to Israel (first time for Madame), and I agree that 1 week is quite tight even for Israel alone. At the same time, Jordan is not a place one visits very often (especially from Argentina!), and it seems like a good opportunity to visit Petra, which would be a childhood dream since we are both big Indiana Jones fans.

Again, thanks a lot.
Old Apr 29, 18, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT/f
Originally Posted by mbgg View Post
... with only 7 day in total and so much to see in Israel, you should not spend two (or three) of the days traveling to and from Petra.
I agree. We spent 9 days in Israel in January and really wanted to do a similar side trip to Petra. But decided that it would just be too difficult and time consuming.
But in February on my way to Cairo... I discovered that one can do Petra in a single long day... on the way to Cairo (or Tel Aviv).

We arrived AMM from DXB at 9:30a via Emirates where our pre-arranged guide/driver met us for the three hour drive to Petra. We spent 3 hours touring and then were back at AMM by 7pm well before my 10:30pm RJ flight to Cairo. There is a similar 11pm RJ flight to TLV. So if you don't mind a long, long day, you can see Petra in one day and arrive TLV that night without the double land border crossing hassle.

Here is my report on that day.

Last edited by SFO777; Apr 29, 18 at 11:11 pm
Old May 15, 18, 9:43 am

Hi
Agree with the friends who answered above. I would go with the recommendations of the tour guides, you may have a problem with flying from Jordan to Israel, and should do so in the usual ways, especially following the heavy security at the border crossing, and the rivalry between the two countries.

Search this Thread