Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Sanity check of my planned activities in Palestine/Israel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sanity check of my planned activities in Palestine/Israel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by RedChili
For most visitors, Israeli security is not a problem at all. I've visited Israel 40 times, and while it is true that a couple of times I spent around one hour in airport security, first being questioned and then being thoroughly searched, it's ususally not more than 5-10 minutes. And in some ways, Israeli security is much easier than security in Europe, e.g. that they don't confiscated water bottles and tooth paste. It may seem like a minor nuisance, but it makes Israel one of the safest destinations in the world.
There's plenty of reports on the Internet including this forum that the Israelis use a code system to classify travellers. It's also obvious from many reports that non-jewish male travellers are suspicious.

Do I understand you correctly that those are just personal anecdotes and not in any way representative for the typical traveller with my profile(someone with passport stamps from tourist destinations in Muslim countries)?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:29 pm

I've had passport stamps from a few Muslim countries. I've come to realize what will likely trigger heightened security on my own trips, but you never know for sure. Anyway, we're only talking about when you're leaving the country, so it's a one-time event.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
You probably never experienced those checks then.

Asking someone about his EXACT travels like 8 years ago, with whom you travelled with (about 50 people.. and yes, they wanted names.. it got quite annoying when they wouldn't stop after like 20!), why you did this side trip or that one when based in SIN (they literally wouldn't or couldn't understand that SIN is quite boring.. and you'll do many side trips from there on a weekly/bi-weekly base), is MASSIVELY annoying.

Especially when it's actually repeated with each and every country, and they basically don't stop asking THE VERY SAME QUESTIONS. I've stayed extremely friendly during the whole process, but it was quite clear to them that what they did (which the staff, obviously, was forced to do. They're not doing their job voluntarily, as much I'm aware, it's conscripted people..) was silly beyond believe, too.

So, would you want to give answers to the same question 50x, about travel you did many years ago, when you're in average taking 80-100 flights a year? How does this make travelling any more "safe"?

You quite clearly want to defend Israel from criticism, I've noticed that. But I think a forum where people exchange their experience about actual travel experience is quite the wrong place to do so!
Reached the illegal wall about 4.15pm, through in seconds. Another 15min, and I was at the hotel (Bethlehem hotel) from 1 of your above posts. seems to me you are extremely biased against Israel and were more the happy to go thru what you did upon departure so youd have another reason to bash Israel You admit to asking silly questions back you basically asked (begged) them to give you the full service and then have the nerve to complain about it

Ive had my share of playing with security around the world, but never complained when I helped it on.

Seems to me you got Karma paid back to you just as you were hoping for
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:25 pm

which the staff, obviously, was forced to do. They're not doing their job voluntarily, as much I'm aware, it's conscripted people..
Wrong again! The security people are paid employees. Most of them are students working part-time or youngsters after the army saving money for their trip to South America or the Far East. They are highly motivated and do not need to be "forced" to ensure that everyone has a safe flight.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Interesting how those posters here defending Israel seem to exclusively post about Israel and travel to there, and always try to colour it in the most bright colours, attacking anyone who doesn't agree with their views.

I've simply stated my experience as a seasoned traveller going there.

And if a country makes you going through EXTREMELY silly questions over and over again, it's my right and duty as a flyertalk member to actually warn other frequent flyers about such treatment (and possibly simply getting a new, blank passport, to have to avoid such questions)

Build peace, not walls..
Old Feb 25, 2018, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Interesting how those posters here defending Israel seem to exclusively post about Israel and travel to there, and always try to colour it in the most bright colours, attacking anyone who doesn't agree with their views.

And if a country makes you going through EXTREMELY silly questions over and over again, it's my right and duty as a flyertalk member to actually warn other frequent flyers about such treatment (and possibly simply getting a new, blank passport, to have to avoid such questions)

Build peace, not walls..
The point is that you should feel free to debate a wall as legal or illegal in OMNI/PR. There's no shortage of debates on a wide variety of topics, especially regarding the Middle East.

But this part is an informational travel forum. Whether you feel a wall is legal or illegal is wholly irrelevant to travel reporting. The fact that such a wall exists, necessitating checkpoints to enter/exit is obviously important information to consider when discussing travel tips. But anything else is unnecessary political opinions that have no place on this board.

BTW, regarding your experience with multiple Muslim country stamps and excessive questioning, this has been debated many times and has been shown to clearly be case-by-case without consistent rulings. There are people with Israeli passports and stamps in countries like UAE, Qatar, Morocco, etc. who are questioned extensively right next to others with the same passport/stamps and relatively few questions.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 12:51 am

Build peace, not walls..
If you were a 'seasoned traveller' who had properly researched their visit to Israel, you would have seen many posts on the various travel forums that repeatedly explain that:
  • many visitors entering/leaving Israel are asked pointless and silly questions
  • the object of this questioning is to observe the reaction and body language of the visitor; they don't care about the answers
  • therefore the advice is always to answer these questions calmly and politely
However you chose to play games with with the security person, then complain when the questioning dragged out beyond what it probably would have been. You then added nonsense about 'conscripted' personnel 'forced' to ask silly questions, then post baseless personal attacks against those who point out your blatant condescending and naive stupidity. How terrible - you were asked a few questions about your visits to hostile countries, then you were allowed to proceed. How dare they do that to a superior being like you !!!

Last edited by mbgg; Feb 26, 2018 at 12:12 am
Old Feb 25, 2018, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbgg
If you were a 'seasoned traveller' who had properly researched their visit to Israel, you would have seen many posts on the various travel forums that repeatedly explain that:
  • many visitors entering/leaving Israel are asked pointless and silly questions
  • the object of this questioning is to observe the reaction and body language of the visitor; they don't care about the answers
  • therefore the advice is always to answer these questions calmly and politely
However you chose to play games with with the security person, then complain when the questioning dragged out beyond what it probably would have been. You then add nonsense about 'conscripted' personnel 'forced' to ask silly questions, then post baseless personal attacks against those who point out your blatant condescending and naive stupidity. How terrible - you were asked a few questions about your visits to hostile countries, then you were allowed to proceed. How dare they do that to a superior being like you !!!
Wow, you're really doing your job properly. Anything that could be interpreted (if you wanted so) as critism to Israel - and be it a live-report of travelling on a traveller forum - must be shut down, eh?

If you consider Egypt a hostile country to Israel, I think that says it enough. Morocco as well is recognizing Israel. So apparently suggesting to travel there when you were asked about your very holidays there is an insult, eh?

I liked my time in Israel and Palestine, and I knew about the exit immigration, and that it could be annoying. I merely stated those facts, and that staying calm and friendly and cooperative during the interview - which I did - is the best way to be proceeded quickly.

The only person(s) making me NOT to go back so far were those internet posters here that defend Israel like a furry, when something actually can't be defended. You can't tell others to change facts or stuff they've experienced themselves, just because it doesn't suit you.

You weren't there, so I politely suggest you refrain from any further personal attacks - something that so far was exclusively something you've used, despite your attempt to actually change sides above. But anyway, a neutral person reading this thread will come to their own conclusions

Just reading your last few sentences probably says it all..
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Wow, you're really doing your job properly. Anything that could be interpreted (if you wanted so) as critism to Israel - and be it a live-report of travelling on a traveller forum - must be shut down, eh?

If you consider Egypt a hostile country to Israel, I think that says it enough. Morocco as well is recognizing Israel. So apparently suggesting to travel there when you were asked about your very holidays there is an insult, eh?

I liked my time in Israel and Palestine, and I knew about the exit immigration, and that it could be annoying. I merely stated those facts, and that staying calm and friendly and cooperative during the interview - which I did - is the best way to be proceeded quickly.

The only person(s) making me NOT to go back so far were those internet posters here that defend Israel like a furry, when something actually can't be defended. You can't tell others to change facts or stuff they've experienced themselves, just because it doesn't suit you.

You weren't there, so I politely suggest you refrain from any further personal attacks - something that so far was exclusively something you've used, despite your attempt to actually change sides above. But anyway, a neutral person reading this thread will come to their own conclusions

Just reading your last few sentences probably says it all..
everyone is entitled to their own thoughts even if they are based on falsehoods, you mentioned a neutral person is entitled to draw their own conclusions , thats true but if they basing it on falsehoods then not so much. Then left always protects the left and the right always protects the right. In my statistics class I took decades ago in college we had to read a small (thin) book called "How To Lie with Statistics" in a nut shell it showed how theres more then 1 way to arrive at an avg for anything and how anyone could pick whichever way worked out to rove their point

You arent neutral, thats OK but if you really wanted a neutral person (if any actually exist) to draw their own conclusions you would have posted a disclaimer to your politcal feelings and thoughts

You dont like Israeli security thats your right but when you egg them on more less asking that they continue down the path you detest dont blame them in the end they do so

the last time I drove into Canada from Buffalo,NY the CBP guy kept asking me the same question a hundred ways. So I finally answered his question of 'What I am bringing into Canada that I dont plan on taking out?" I pointed to all the trash on the passenger floor in the front and said most likely I will end up throwing all that away before driving back, That earned me a slip of paper and instruction sto drive over to the building on the left side, which in the end he wrote a code that they should dismantle my car (rental) down to the last screw. 1st thing they did was run my name thru Interpol to make sure I wasnt wanted anywhere in the World, then told to take a seat in the next room. That room like a whos who of the 3rd World, and I was the only white person in there An older man behind the counter called me over and asked for the paper I was given, he looked at the paper and looked at me and said a wise guy hey. He asked what happened I told him and he said to go over to the officer by the door. She looked at the paper and said the samething. Long story short she said open my trunk I did and asked me why I said what I did and I said he asked me 100 ways that same question and I answered every time 'nothing' he wasnt satisfied and when I saw the trash I answered honestly. She stamped the paper and sent me on my way after close to 90 mins. My point is when you PLAY GAMES be prepared for the outcome

Like it or not there are many people and Countrys that would love Israel to be wiped off the face of the earth. Some send money , others support others do the actual deeds. Till that stops (it never will) Israel like any other Country (btw palestine is not a Country) will have to do what it deems necessary to remain intact and protect its citizens

Had you or I simply shut up and not played games we both would have saved ourselves alot of time and grief, but we both chose otherwise so man up to it just as I have and if you meant your TR to help others you never would have ventured into your political beliefs, and if really wanted to help/warn others you would have posted dont be a fool like I was and play games with your answers to the security folks , unless you have tons of time to waste and can afford to miss your flight, which is exactly what I tell people who ask me about driving to/from Canada. the next time I drove across and was asked the same question I answered I have 1 bottle of scotch Im bringing as a gift even thou I had nothing, simply to avoid the 100 questions asking the samething
mbgg, safari ari and jgor like this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA MM

Build peace, not walls..
A single male traveler is going to get extra scrutiny, especially one who has visited many Muslim countries. If you don't play games with the security folks, it all works out in the end. Keep in mind, they may have known you visited Area A as a single male traveler which could have been another factor in their questioning.

My wife and I have been to Israel three times. Our exit "interviews" were nothing more than a couple simple questions each time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.