Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

New Muscat International Airport terminal to start operations 20th March

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:36 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC

Finally the news MCT has been waiting for. . 20th March is the opening day.
​​​​​​
Opening date of new Muscat International Airport announced - Times Of Oman
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
I thought I was in the comedy thread for a while...

Will believe it when it happens!
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:50 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Though i think it will. They should have done enough testing by then!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
The new airport is suppose to contain an airside hotel. If it does, why isn't it taking bookings?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I was there for the last time couple of days ago. There is still a lot of work going on at the new terminal. I highly doubt that they will finish by March 20.
Seems like every time I fly Oman Air my bag is missing. I'm yet to receive apology email from them...
I will not fly Oman Air again.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Does anyone know about the lounge situation in the new airport?

In particular, will there be a lounge for QR 1st class passengers and will there be a Priority Pass lounge?

If so, are they likely to be open by the end of April?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
If anyone will be at the new terminal next week, could they check out whether the new airport hotel is open...Thx.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:57 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Passengers travelling out of Muscat from March 20 have been urged to report three ours before the scheduled departure of the their flight from the new airport. Those who need to cancel their visas need to report four hours before the time of departure, according to a notice issued by Board of Airline Representatives to all travel agents.

The new Muscat International Airport will commence operations with first departure at 6:50pm and arrival at 5:30pm local time, on March 20, 2018.
3 hours prior check-in at new airport - Oman Observer
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:42 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Apparently "Visa on Arrival facility will be always there" but the website URL in the article is wrong (furthermore the website is also down for "maintenance" right now). And if most people get e-visas the queues won't be long any more... or just shifted to immigration

What would really "have a positive impact on the tourism sector" is to abolish visas for the majority of visitors. If really necessary then have a hotel tax (which is coming anyway in the form of VAT).

e-Visa gate at airport for smooth entry - Oman Observer
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:07 am
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
The road signs are pointing to the new airport now rather than the old. As a result, I had an unplanned diversion through the new airport before eventually getting to the old airport. It did allow me to see at very close quarters, unchallenged at the security barriers, the work still going on. The ground floor is far from complete. I would think one or two months more work yet. The roadways up to the passenger level were still being worked on so those might just be passable for traffic. The flags were all flying though.
mk1dk likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by :D!
What would really "have a positive impact on the tourism sector" is to abolish visas for the majority of visitors. If really necessary then have a hotel tax (which is coming anyway in the form of VAT).
VAT is VAT and tourism tax is, well, tourism tax

But I believe Oman has joined Qatar in breaking ranks with the GCC push to impose VAT. At least until next year ..

But still, Oman's hotel rates are boosted by over 17% in taxes and charge

But that's better than Dubai, where your hotel stay has a ++++ close to 30% with VAT plus municipality tax and a tourism levy all on top of the service charge

I think Qatar is the only state within the GCC where the rate quoted by the hotel is the rate you pay.
:D! likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:16 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Looking forward to feedback on the new airport arrivals & transit experiences.

Also, any comments on them possibly maintaining any "Visa On Arrival “ facilities...
Old Mar 21, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
So... Anyone been through the new terminal yet?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
We went through last night arriving from AUH. The new terminal is beautiful and seems quite well thought out. I can’t comment on visa on arrival process as we already had evisas. We were through immigration and were curbside 15 minutes after arrival at 11pm. There were a number of airport ambassadors around to assist, but it was quite crowded with groups trying to navigate the new space. Signage was adequate for arrivals in my opinion. We’ll see about departure on Sunday.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by md25
We went through last night arriving from AUH. The new terminal is beautiful and seems quite well thought out. I can’t comment on visa on arrival process as we already had evisas. We were through immigration and were curbside 15 minutes after arrival at 11pm. There were a number of airport ambassadors around to assist, but it was quite crowded with groups trying to navigate the new space. Signage was adequate for arrivals in my opinion. We’ll see about departure on Sunday.
Im not complaining about the new terminal - but it's just that, another new international terminal: even down to non-functioning travelators/walkways.

There was a touch of nostalgia and a "welcome back" feeling from the old place - and bus transfers meant that there were not kilometres of corridors to walk on arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.