FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Middle East (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east-481/)
-   -   New Muscat International Airport terminal to start operations 20th March (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east/1891770-new-muscat-international-airport-terminal-start-operations-20th-march.html)

gilbertaue Feb 1, 2018 5:36 pm

New Muscat International Airport terminal to start operations 20th March

Finally the news MCT has been waiting for. . 20th March is the opening day.
​​​​​​
Opening date of new Muscat International Airport announced - Times Of Oman

Reds2011 Feb 3, 2018 3:40 am

I thought I was in the comedy thread for a while... :D

Will believe it when it happens!

gilbertaue Feb 3, 2018 4:50 am

:D

Though i think it will. They should have done enough testing by then!

LukeO9 Feb 21, 2018 4:07 pm

The new airport is suppose to contain an airside hotel. If it does, why isn't it taking bookings?

bwiadca Feb 22, 2018 3:43 am

I was there for the last time couple of days ago. There is still a lot of work going on at the new terminal. I highly doubt that they will finish by March 20.
Seems like every time I fly Oman Air my bag is missing. I'm yet to receive apology email from them...
I will not fly Oman Air again.

mickeyjaw Mar 6, 2018 12:26 pm

Does anyone know about the lounge situation in the new airport?

In particular, will there be a lounge for QR 1st class passengers and will there be a Priority Pass lounge?

If so, are they likely to be open by the end of April?

LukeO9 Mar 14, 2018 11:31 pm

If anyone will be at the new terminal next week, could they check out whether the new airport hotel is open...Thx.

gilbertaue Mar 15, 2018 1:57 am

Passengers travelling out of Muscat from March 20 have been urged to report three ours before the scheduled departure of the their flight from the new airport. Those who need to cancel their visas need to report four hours before the time of departure, according to a notice issued by Board of Airline Representatives to all travel agents.

The new Muscat International Airport will commence operations with first departure at 6:50pm and arrival at 5:30pm local time, on March 20, 2018.

3 hours prior check-in at new airport - Oman Observer

:D! Mar 18, 2018 7:42 am

Apparently "Visa on Arrival facility will be always there" but the website URL in the article is wrong (furthermore the website is also down for "maintenance" right now). And if most people get e-visas the queues won't be long any more... or just shifted to immigration

What would really "have a positive impact on the tourism sector" is to abolish visas for the majority of visitors. If really necessary then have a hotel tax (which is coming anyway in the form of VAT).

e-Visa gate at airport for smooth entry - Oman Observer

LPQ Mar 18, 2018 8:07 am

The road signs are pointing to the new airport now rather than the old. As a result, I had an unplanned diversion through the new airport before eventually getting to the old airport. It did allow me to see at very close quarters, unchallenged at the security barriers, the work still going on. The ground floor is far from complete. I would think one or two months more work yet. The roadways up to the passenger level were still being worked on so those might just be passable for traffic. The flags were all flying though.

IAN-UK Mar 18, 2018 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 29538654)
What would really "have a positive impact on the tourism sector" is to abolish visas for the majority of visitors. If really necessary then have a hotel tax (which is coming anyway in the form of VAT).

VAT is VAT and tourism tax is, well, tourism tax :)

But I believe Oman has joined Qatar in breaking ranks with the GCC push to impose VAT. At least until next year ..

But still, Oman's hotel rates are boosted by over 17% in taxes and charge

But that's better than Dubai, where your hotel stay has a ++++ close to 30% with VAT plus municipality tax and a tourism levy all on top of the service charge

I think Qatar is the only state within the GCC where the rate quoted by the hotel is the rate you pay.

NoY Mar 20, 2018 4:16 am

Looking forward to feedback on the new airport arrivals & transit experiences.

Also, any comments on them possibly maintaining any "Visa On Arrival “ facilities...

mickeyjaw Mar 21, 2018 5:02 am

So... Anyone been through the new terminal yet?

md25 Mar 23, 2018 12:10 pm

We went through last night arriving from AUH. The new terminal is beautiful and seems quite well thought out. I can’t comment on visa on arrival process as we already had evisas. We were through immigration and were curbside 15 minutes after arrival at 11pm. There were a number of airport ambassadors around to assist, but it was quite crowded with groups trying to navigate the new space. Signage was adequate for arrivals in my opinion. We’ll see about departure on Sunday.

IAN-UK Jul 21, 2018 1:10 am

Originally Posted by md25 (Post 29558925)
We went through last night arriving from AUH. The new terminal is beautiful and seems quite well thought out. I can’t comment on visa on arrival process as we already had evisas. We were through immigration and were curbside 15 minutes after arrival at 11pm. There were a number of airport ambassadors around to assist, but it was quite crowded with groups trying to navigate the new space. Signage was adequate for arrivals in my opinion. We’ll see about departure on Sunday.

Im not complaining about the new terminal - but it's just that, another new international terminal: even down to non-functioning travelators/walkways.

There was a touch of nostalgia and a "welcome back" feeling from the old place - and bus transfers meant that there were not kilometres of corridors to walk on arrival.