FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Middle East (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east-481/)
-   -   Prescription and controlled medicines in Qatar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east/1891354-prescription-controlled-medicines-qatar.html)

flatlander Jan 30, 2018 2:33 pm

Prescription and controlled medicines in Qatar

I'm looking for information about controlled medicines in Qatar, specifically if they ban drugs that are commonly available elsewhere. UAE is a well-documented pit of insanity in this respect, but Qatar is poorly documented.

Obviously the widely illegal drugs are illegal, but that's not my question.

The best I could find for medicines is the list in this Quora post. I can't find an official list (dead links or only the legal framework, not the appendix list of medicines); anyone know where I can find them online?

Reading between the lines of the list in the Quora post, it seems that the things commonly available over the counter in Western countries that are banned in Qatar include:
  • Codeine (even in combination painkillers)
  • Dextromethorphan (cough remedies)
Things which are heavily controlled that are often prescribed in the West (and probably in Qatar for that matter):
  • All the popular antidepressants
  • Tranquilisers of various sorts
  • Anti-psychotics, etc
  • Various amphetamine-like stimulats (Ritalin and friends)
Unclear on:
  • Pseudoephedrine (as forbidden in Japan, decongestant)
  • Sodium Naproxen (anti-inflammatory painkiller)
Anyone got more info on the unclear ones, or the actual proscribed list?

garykung Jan 30, 2018 3:31 pm

I will follow Qatar's customs, as that will be your first obvious obstacle:

http://www.customs.gov.qa/eng/traveller.php

And allow me to paraphrase the website and tell you the bad news:

"No drugs of all types and classes are allowed."

flatlander Jan 30, 2018 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 29359380)
I will follow Qatar's customs, as that will be your first obvious obstacle:

:: General Authority of Customs :: State of Qatar ::

And allow me to paraphrase the website and tell you the bad news:

"No drugs of all types and classes are allowed."

That doesn't define "drugs". It's not useful. Got anything else?

garykung Jan 30, 2018 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 29359533)
That doesn't define "drugs". It's not useful. Got anything else?

Seriously? What parts of "all types and classes" you don't understand?

Let me make this simple for you - if whatever you are trying to bring can cure or relief sickness, simply don't bring them.

Of course it will be a long list and many stuffs are not necessarily banned. However, you want to risk jail or what?

Beside they may be available in Qatar as well.

geerat Jan 30, 2018 9:21 pm

Pseudoephedrine was illegal in Japan, but now I can buy it at any drug store without asking any staff, which is a lot more relaxed than the UK. I regularly take it on flights with me through Qatar (i've been out of the airport on layovers aswell) to take before landing. I've also bought Sudafed with pseudoephedrine from behind the counter at the drug store in Dubai and Qatar airports. I don't think you'll have any problems if you're just carrying one box of something if it's clearly for personal use. I can't comment on any of the others unfortunately, but you should always take a prescription for anything you're carrying just in case.

securesmaskfirst Jan 30, 2018 9:22 pm

Yes, it is super easy. No need to worry. You may have trouble filling a prescription, but event that is just a maybe.

mcgahat Jan 31, 2018 5:01 am

I am not exactly sure what specific concern the OP has but I will give my recent experience. I found entering Qatar no different than any other country. I have a mini medicine cabinet with me with a few over the counter items, xanax and a muscle relaxer. All prescribed by doctor in bottles with my name on it. I dont normally think about it much but after going through immigration there was a security check and that reminded me what part of the world I was in and that this check is typically for prohibited items. Lets see how this goes. :) As I picked up my bag off the belt I looked at the security agent and he was looking at his phone the entire time and not even checking the screen. Not saying that you shouldnt be concerned depending on what you are transporting etc and why but didnt get the vibe they take things to the extreme that Dubai does.

Trickytraveler Jan 31, 2018 7:28 am

Their Young Customs Officers Can't Read English....

I brought in a doctor's note on a long layover in Qatar that said what I was bringing in and the indication. Was stopped for a search by customs, and sternly shouted at him "Here is the note!" He couldn't read English, so the Adderall fr ADHD (definitely probably not allowed) he tried to challenge/inspect. I didn't say what it was for, so I just referred him to the note repeatedly (like 3 times). He then worriedly kept asking, "This for headache? This for headache?" I said yes, and he let me pass.

mcgahat Jan 31, 2018 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Trickytraveler (Post 29361779)
I brought in a doctor's note on a long layover in Qatar that said what I was bringing in and the indication. Was stopped for a search by customs, and sternly shouted at him "Here is the note!" He couldn't read English, so the Adderall fr ADHD (definitely probably not allowed) he tried to challenge/inspect. I didn't say what it was for, so I just referred him to the note repeatedly (like 3 times). He then worriedly kept asking, "This for headache? This for headache?" I said yes, and he let me pass.

Out of curiosity, did they search your bag and find the items or did you volunteer the note?

MAGA Jan 31, 2018 9:35 am

I’ve been all over - many times to Qatar & UAE - and due to degenerative disks and other back issues sitting on a plane for 10-15 hours inflames my condition and causes lots of pain I always travel with oxycodone and dialaud (maybe 5-10 of each) and in a little pill case with other medicines (no prescription bottle) and have never had a problem anywhere.

Only time I EVER had a medication taken away was one time landing in Haneda and they said my Vick’s inhaler (OTC in US) was illegal in Japan. They gave me a little handout in English about it and sent me on my way.

flatlander Jan 31, 2018 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 29359940)
Seriously? What parts of "all types and classes" you don't understand?

Let me make this simple for you - if whatever you are trying to bring can cure or relief sickness, simply don't bring them.

Of course it will be a long list and many stuffs are not necessarily banned. However, you want to risk jail or what?

Beside they may be available in Qatar as well.

The Qataris have, apparently, published a long list of prohibited drugs, so they are rather more specific than the blanket statement you quoted.

So, at least their official documents aren't consistent. I'm looking for a more authoritative source from them than the headline blurb on the website.

A link the official list that goes with Law 9 of 1987 would be great.