Aqaba to Eilat cash needs?

Old Oct 13, 17, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, WN A-List, Southwest happy companion pass designee
Aqaba to Eilat cash needs?

Newbie question... Two of us. USA passports. Wondering how much Jordanian and Israeli cash I'll need to get through and cab to car rental place in Eilat?

1- Taxi from Intercontinental Aqaba to border
2- Exit Jordan fees
3- Enter Israel (no fees even at land crossing?)
4- Taxi to Eilat proper

Any recommendations for how much cash needed for 1+2 and 3+4?

And any recommendation on best spot in Aqaba to get some Israeli currency? We'll have spent a week in Jordan, so just need to know how much currency to hang on to for the crossing. Thanks.
Old Oct 13, 17, 3:18 pm

1. Should be 11JD
2. Should be 10JD
3. No fee entering Israel
4. Around 40-45 shekels to the airport where some of the rental agencies are, make sure they use the meter

My info is about 2yrs old, so I guess prices may have went up a bit.
abaheti likes this.
Old Oct 13, 17, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, WN A-List, Southwest happy companion pass designee
Thanks, this helps a lot. I can round up significantly to be safe, just don't want to get stuck without needed money and also don't want to get more than I need at bad rates.
Old Oct 13, 17, 11:31 pm

You can exchange money on the Israeli side of the border and in my opinion you will get a better rate there than in Aqaba:
http://www.iaa.gov.il/en-US/borders/...s/default.aspx
In general in Israel, you can exchange cash at the many licensed change stores or at the Post Office. None of them charge commission. For comparison, you can always check the Israel Post Office website to see what they are offering for cash :
https://tinyurl.com/y7rf6hep
The change stores usually offer a slightly better rate, and have shorter lines and longer hours.
However many people claim that you get the best rate by withdrawing Shekels from an ATM (and you can bring less cash). Ask your bank/credit card company what their fees are.
Old Oct 14, 17, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbgg View Post
You can exchange money on the Israeli side of the border and in my opinion you will get a better rate there than in Aqaba:
Thanks. So, there's a money exchange actually at the Israeli border crossing itself? I read there is no ATM and was concerned. If that's true then I don't need to worry about it.

My concern was that since we start in Jordan, then cross to Israel, I won't have any Israeli currency to pay the taxi to my Eilat rental car facility, so I'm trying to figure out the minimum cash needed (which I thought I had to get in Jordan). On the Jordanian side, just want to plan to end with the right amount so I don't carry home a bunch of Jordanian money.

Last edited by abaheti; Oct 14, 17 at 10:47 pm
Old Oct 14, 17, 9:37 pm

The website clearly says:

​"Milgam" franchisee.
Operation Hours: in accordance with the terminal's operating hours.

Services: Banking and currency exchange services.

​​​​The taxi ride is very short and costs about 30 NIS.
Old Oct 14, 17, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbgg View Post
The website clearly says:

​"Milgam" franchisee.
Operation Hours: in accordance with the terminal's operating hours.

Services: Banking and currency exchange services.

​​​​The taxi ride is very short and costs about 30 NIS.
Yup, thanks -- as I said, that means I don't need to worry about it, will just exchange US and/or whatever Jordanian I have left to make cab fare and coffee. One less detail to think about. Thanks.
Old Nov 7, 17, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Update: As folks here said, 11 JOD to the border from the Intercontinental, flat rate, great driver, gave him 12 hope that was sufficient tip. At the border there was a Milgam franchise that worked fine to exchange USD cash. (Surprisingly, security was all faster than money exchange, so we had a good security day.) And taxi was 32 NIS on the meter, so also in line with the advice here. Thanks for all the help.

Search this Thread