Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Oman - eVisa or Visa on Arrival

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I was doing some investigation earlier today, for a forthcoming trip to Muscat. On the MCT airport website, then have a link to be able to purchase an eVisa for tourists.

Has anyone here done this? (I'm not keen on being a first of type for using new stuff - or even a fast follower! Prefer to use tried and tested methods )
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I did the Oman eVisa online in February 2017. The process was pretty painless, although the Web site was a little wonky (as many government Web sites seem to be). I paid with my American credit card and printed out the receipt, and it was accepted without comment when presented to the immigration inspector.

The only advantage of the eVisa (as far as I can tell) is that you pay the visa application fee online instead of paying it when you get there. On my last entry, the line to pay the visa application fee was almost empty, so the eVisa didn't really save me much time. I suppose that it gets one more bureaucratic process out of the way, which is always welcome.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:16 am

When possible I always prefer to apply for an eVisa rather than Visa on Arrival, the reasons being:
1. You don't have to "struggle with" cash before/upon arrival, e.g. making sure you have the right type of currency and right amount
2. It usually saves you from standing in an additional queue, which can be empty, but can also be long
3. Peace of mind, once you have your eVisa there is one less option to be denied entry
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thank you for the reassurance - I will go ahead and get the evisas online!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Ditto
When possible I always prefer to apply for an eVisa rather than Visa on Arrival, the reasons being:
1. You don't have to "struggle with" cash before/upon arrival, e.g. making sure you have the right type of currency and right amount
2. It usually saves you from standing in an additional queue, which can be empty, but can also be long
3. Peace of mind, once you have your eVisa there is one less option to be denied entry
Not wanting to muddy the clear waters you describe, but my last visit I witnessed an awful lot of faff for E-visas. They had a dedicated desk dealing with these: no idea if this is normal - it's not something that has attracted my attention before.

On arrival the visa purchase part usually rocks along quite nicely, and I've never had a problem paying (very quickly) with credit card. The wait can come for the immigration desk - but I've always got through before, or as, my bags arrive: so nothing lost, time-wise.

The other side of the E-visa's certainty is it's a sunk cost. If plans change and you don't travel, you can't get a refund.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Not wanting to muddy the clear waters you describe, but my last visit I witnessed an awful lot of faff for E-visas. They had a dedicated desk dealing with these: no idea if this is normal - it's not something that has attracted my attention before.

On arrival the visa purchase part usually rocks along quite nicely, and I've never had a problem paying (very quickly) with credit card. The wait can come for the immigration desk - but I've always got through before, or as, my bags arrive: so nothing lost, time-wise.

The other side of the E-visa's certainty is it's a sunk cost. If plans change and you don't travel, you can't get a refund.
The visa on arrival at MCT is straight forward.pay money inc paying by cr card,fill landing card,and get in.sometimes slow moving line for immigration.if one has recent entry AND exit stamp from Dubai (not UAE) AND has qualifying passport,then there is no visa necessary ie free entry.useful if flying from point A through DXB to MCT .
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:50 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
if one has recent entry AND exit stamp from Dubai (not UAE) AND has qualifying passport,then there is no visa necessary ie free entry.
Someone recently suggested on here that this common visa no longer exists. I also heard the same thing from a second source. There is no reference to it on the new Oman police website and one of the websites which shows information from Timatic says it's only valid when entering Oman through MCT.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to ask anyone about this on my recent transit through MCT (which did not involve passing through immigration - I would have if I only had to pay 5 riyals for 5 hours but I wasn't going to pay 20).

useful if flying from point A through DXB to MCT .
I believe you probably know this but you can't just "fly through DXB", you need to pass through immigration there as well.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
The visa on arrival at MCT is straight forward.pay money inc paying by cr card,fill landing card,and get in.sometimes slow moving line for immigration.if one has recent entry AND exit stamp from Dubai (not UAE) AND has qualifying passport,then there is no visa necessary ie free entry.useful if flying from point A through DXB to MCT .
A comfort to know you agree

However, it's worth pointing out that the Dubai exemption requires an exit stamp from Dubai prior to your arrival at MCT. So you can't simply transit Dubai airport and expect a free entry to Oman.

I once got an exemption arriving from Sharjah, on the strength of a Dubai arrival stamp. But I was made to understand the general rule is arriving from Dubai, rather than UAE.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
Someone recently suggested on here that this common visa no longer exists. I also heard the same thing from a second source. There is no reference to it on the new Oman police website and one of the websites which shows information from Timatic says it's only valid when entering Oman through MCT.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to ask anyone about this on my recent transit through MCT (which did not involve passing through immigration - I would have if I only had to pay 5 riyals for 5 hours but I wasn't going to pay 20).

I believe you probably know this but you can't just "fly through DXB", you need to pass through immigration there as well.
visa waiver does exist and IS showing on Oman police website in both Arabic and English. both Dubai entry and exit stamp are required , can use to arrival at MCT also at Hatta land crossing.There is also similar visa waiver from Qatar to Oman for qualifying nationalities.I was told by Omani immigration (police) in MCT that this only applies on direct flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.