Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

SEA-TLV in early March, which airline?

Old Sep 28, 17, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA nobody, AA GLD, MrIce: UA Premier

Can anyone help me choose the best airline/connection from SEA-TLV for next March? The options I see are:

Air Canada, 1 hr 5 minute layover YYZ
United 1 hr 10 minute layover EWR
Lufthansa 1 hr 15 minute layover FRA

Wonder if I should fly to LAX on a separate ticket and then do EL AL nonstop from there...? Worried about weather and missed connections, although I believe there is a late flight FRA-TLV as a backup...

I'm not inherently opposed to a mixed airline combo, but I'd like something bookable with an airline directly as opposed to Kayak or another "agency" site. TIA!
Old Sep 28, 17, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Theres also SFO-TLV n/s on UA
Old Sep 29, 17, 1:57 am

The "best" airline for one pax is not necessarily the "best" airline for someone else.
You also didn't mention if you are going to fly in Y or J, if flying in Y my preference would be to break the journey half way, so LH option is the better of the lot, but then there are also other options in Europe.
Old Sep 29, 17, 2:11 am

You forgot about BA SEA-LHR-TLV or DL/KL SEA-AMS-TLV. The cheapest option may be to piece together two tickets with Norwegian, SEA-LGW and LGW-TLV.

Also, think about the total distance. In nautical miles, that would be:
FRA 6,035 nm
AMS 6,036 nm
LHR 6,111 nm
YYZ 6,821 nm
EWR 7,033 nm
SFO 7,039 nm
LAX 7,410 nm

A transfer in Europe will make the total distance much shorter.
Old Sep 29, 17, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Best depends on what's important to you. BTW, Kayak isn't a booking agency - it's a search engine.
Old Sep 29, 17, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Remember a lot of European airlines operate short-haul aircraft on the TLV route (so no IFE, Y style seats in business etc). I think BA/LX/LY are the only airlines operating from Europe to TLV on widebodies.

Also, if you are worried about "weather and missed connections", selecting routes with minimum connection times like you have done may be setting yourself up for a fall. Perhaps look for something that gives you an extra hour to connect. It doesn't make much difference to the overall journey time, but does give you an allowance for delays and reduces stress and rushing when connecting.
Old Sep 30, 17, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I will be flying Y. The goal (in order of preference) is to have the best combination of price, layover "safety", arrival in time for dinner, and basic comfort (seat pitch and IFE).
Old Sep 30, 17, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icedancer View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I will be flying Y. The goal (in order of preference) is to have the best combination of price, layover "safety", arrival in time for dinner, and basic comfort (seat pitch and IFE).
for best comfort make sure not to fly EWR-TLV on the 90 or TLV-EWR on the 91 its a 773 = 3-4-3 the 84/85 is 3-3-3
Old Oct 4, 17, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by icedancer View Post
Can anyone help me choose the best airline/connection from SEA-TLV for next March? The options I see are:

Air Canada, 1 hr 5 minute layover YYZ
United 1 hr 10 minute layover EWR
Lufthansa 1 hr 15 minute layover FRA

Wonder if I should fly to LAX on a separate ticket and then do EL AL nonstop from there...? Worried about weather and missed connections, although I believe there is a late flight FRA-TLV as a backup...

I'm not inherently opposed to a mixed airline combo, but I'd like something bookable with an airline directly as opposed to Kayak or another "agency" site. TIA!
If you are more concerned about the price and arrival time for dinner, you should fly separately to LAX and select EL AL from LAX to TLV. But I couldn't find out non-stop flight from LAX to TLV from EL AL. When I checked, it was connecting flights from London. So just check from your end.
Old Oct 5, 17, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by TheMadeTraveler View Post
If you are more concerned about the price and arrival time for dinner, you should fly separately to LAX and select EL AL from LAX to TLV. But I couldn't find out non-stop flight from LAX to TLV from EL AL. When I checked, it was connecting flights from London. So just check from your end.
I believe JetBlue partners with El Al and that could provide a single ticket option through BOS. Probably shorter than through LAX.
Old Oct 5, 17, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Turns out that arriving before dinner is now less of a priority than I thought it was. I think, right now, it's between United through SFO (might take an early flight SEA-SFO and spend a few hours in the city before going SFO-TLV. The other option would probably be the LH flight, since there's a later FRA-TLV option in case of a missed connection.

ETA: I like the Norwegian idea, but there's no return flight on the day I need to return.
Old Oct 9, 17, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
I believe JetBlue partners with El Al and that could provide a single ticket option through BOS. Probably shorter than through LAX.
Okay. I checked Jetblue site but was not able to see any flight from BOS to TLV.
Old Oct 9, 17, 11:17 am

I don't think you can book such a flight with Jetblue.

I checked Itasoftware for random dates in November (7-14), and the cheapest option that came out on top was AS SEA-BOS connecting to LY BOS-TLV on the luxurious B767-300. On the way back, the cheapest option was on LY via JFK or LAX, connecting to AS, AA or B6. You should be able to book such flights with e.g. Expedia or Kayak.
Old Oct 12, 17, 12:09 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by TheMadeTraveler View Post
But I couldn't find out non-stop flight from LAX to TLV from EL AL.
LY6, five flights a week, Su-Th, Dep 1:15 pm, Arr 1:45 pm the next day.
Old Nov 16, 17, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Any thoughts on flying Delta/AF combo through CDG? I've got it narrowed down to this one ($1630) and UA through SFO ($1781). I see that Delta flies A330s, while UA uses Dreamliners, but the Delta seats are a smidgen wider. Should I consider weather, strikes, etc. a non-trivial concern for CDG? I realize I'm probably over-thinking...

Search this Thread