Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

10 Hour Layover in Amman...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President

Thinking about cheap flight out of CDG to Dubai for a week of holiday.

BA were doing a great deal of less than Euro 400, even with one leg in Premium Economy...and then last night it disappeared off the website...

Next alternative is Royal Jordanian for Euro 320...but it means 10 hours in Amman...

OK I'm a Gold...anyone know what the lounges are like and whether this is something I'm likely to regret...?? Is there anywhere to crash...??

Chris
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Amman airport and the RJ crown lounge are both perfectly pleasant but neither are places I would like to spend 10hrs for the sake of €80. The lounge is big enough to find a space to stretch out in and only really busy when flights to the US leave .If you decide to go into Amman itself you will have to pay the visa fee and transport both ways which will more than eat up the cost of your saving.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by lcyguy
Amman airport and the RJ crown lounge are both perfectly pleasant but neither are places I would like to spend 10hrs for the sake of €80.
I read the OP as meaning that it is, unfortunately, no longer a matter of €80!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
For GOLD the Lounge is large and overlooks the duty free. The showers in the Lounge are not free. They do have a Smoking area with CNN showing in the lounge itself. Not much to do at the Airport for 10 hours. There is a Hotel in th terminal ... but you'd probably spend more than the 80 euro you saved. During Ramadaan and Eid ... the Lounge is dry ... no alcohol. Buffet is pretty good.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:32 am

Lcyguy is right. If the stop is overnight and you are going RJ the whole way, I'm pretty sure they will put you up at the airport hotel in AMM, but I don't know if that applies for a layover during the day; you'd better check with the people on the Other Middle East Airlines forum. .
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
AMM is a standard J lounge with a buffet bar and decent enough seating, but it's above the main departure terminal and uncovered so noise cancelling headphones are a must if you're there for more than an hour or so.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
I'm currently in Amman with work. This is a fabulous city so I'd recommend getting into the city and visiting, leave 1 hour to get in from the airport and 1 hour to get back so after immigration etc I reckon you could get 6 hours in the city!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
There is a great set of layovers organized by Zuwar tours in conjunction with RJ. We had 10 hours last year and went to Madaba and Mt Nebo as well as the citadel in Amman and a very nice lunch.. We provided information to sugar for the visa...dont know if you need one..but they took care of getting visas met us at immigration had a van for 5 of us and took us back to the airport for onward flight. You could also go to Jerash..look them up..jt was way better than a day in the lounge. The cost of the four hour tour was almost the same as the visa..10 hours a bit more but covered a lot of ground.
mec72 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.