Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

10 hour layover on Doha in October

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC SILVER

My Grandson has a 10 hour layover in Doha. He has no status and when travelling as a family is used to J and lounge access. This time he is travelling on his own in Y on route to Bali. Should I persuade him to buy a 6 hour pass for one of the lounges.
Thank you for any help.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by verian
My Grandson has a 10 hour layover in Doha. He has no status and when travelling as a family is used to J and lounge access. This time he is travelling on his own in Y on route to Bali. Should I persuade him to buy a 6 hour pass for one of the lounges.
Thank you for any help.
If you would feel hwe would benefit, Only you can answer that. However we all coped before the world of J as do many other passengers . We had a 22 hour layover in Doha in April and we took QR up on the free Doha city tour which they sort Visas, provide coach and a tour guide and includes a market visit as well. That definitely kills a few hours and gets you out and about from the airport
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold
....as somebody who was not used to J until I started to work 12h+days, I'd suggest the city tour in Doha. "Y to Bali" in itself is not a chore ;-).
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Even with a six-hour pass he'd still be on his own for four hours. In his position I'd be doing the city tour and probably not worrying so much about lounge access.

(Although if he's used to business class travel with family, hasn't this earned him some status of his own?)
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:26 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Not sure the relevance of this to BA - but perhaps the Mods could move this to the QR Forum, where it will be met with a host of informative responses and solutions.

M
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Go and see some culture at The Museum of Islamic Art (except Tuesdays).
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:43 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As this is unconnected with BA, and concerns only the State of Qatar, we'll move it over to our Middle East forum.

The OP may also wish to consider the advice given by msm2000uk and take a look at material in the QR forum.

/mod
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
The gym at the airport is also a good choice.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:47 am

I have heard Doha itself is really meh. I would stay in the airport.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Suggestions with that long of a layover: Go to the city and visit the many souks. The falcon souk was especially neat. Grab a nice meal and head back for the flight.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by verian
Thank you for any help.
If you are looking for a wonderful place to shop, to dine, to explore, then Souq Waqif is the best.

Another place to visit is a Doha Corniche which is a waterfront promenade extending for several kilometers along Doha Bay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.