Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Lebanon, Iran, Jordan, Afghanistan or Iraq?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lebanon, Iran, Jordan, Afghanistan or Iraq?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG, UR, MR
Question Lebanon, Iran, Jordan, Afghanistan or Iraq?

Going to visit my family in Warsaw, Poland from June 6-19, and after will have about 7-10 days free to travel somewhere else - I really liked Morocco and Turkey and just wanted to explore backpacking somewhere, so just wanted to ask your guy's opinion:

Out of these 5 countries, any that you would recommend (and why)?

Just looking for a new place to visit, I'm open to roughing it and have done lots of couchsurfing in the past, open to anything really.

Many thanks in advance for any recommendations! (Or any other countries I should look into)

PS - I have a US and Polish passport, I know it might make a difference for getting some of the visas.
Old May 12, 2017, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by sikorloa
Going to visit my family in Warsaw, Poland from June 6-19, and after will have about 7-10 days free to travel somewhere else - I really liked Morocco and Turkey and just wanted to explore backpacking somewhere, so just wanted to ask your guy's opinion:

Out of these 5 countries, any that you would recommend (and why)?

Just looking for a new place to visit, I'm open to roughing it and have done lots of couchsurfing in the past, open to anything really.

Many thanks in advance for any recommendations! (Or any other countries I should look into)

PS - I have a US and Polish passport, I know it might make a difference for getting some of the visas.
Only been to the first 3. With 7-10 days I'd recommend combo of Jordan and Lebanon, or maybe just Jordan for 7 days. I spent 3 weeks in Iran and think 2 would be the minimum but guess you could hit the highlights in 10 (Shiraz, Isfahan, Kashan, Yazd) but distances are large.

Food excellent in Lebanon and Iran. People super friendly in Iran and Jordan, but fine in Lebanon. Price wise I think Iran is the cheapest but not sure as more tourists are there now. Amazing archeological, historical, cultural sites in each, probably the most in Iran due to size and history.

For me personally I loved Iran and liked Lebanon and Jordan.
Old May 12, 2017, 4:45 am

I haven't been to any, but have been researching Iran. There are plenty of youtube videos. From what I know, Rick Steve's documentary is worth a watch, but it's nearly an hour long.

EDIT: The following is notable not because it's as good a documentary as Rick Steves'. But, one thing I've heard is that Iran people will invite you into their house etc. The guy who made this documentary visited a hospital, and was invited into the operating theatre to watch an operation!

Last edited by OccasionalFlyerPerson; May 12, 2017 at 5:07 am
Old May 12, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
How about Israel. A lot safer and more comfortable than any of the other 5 countries and lots of hiking (desert and mountains)
Old May 12, 2017, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Aside from what others have noted about Lebanon, Iran and Jordan, Afghanistan is a little more off the beaten path. Not sure about couch surfing there, but AQ (al-Qaeda) and Taliban are two local chains that offer some potentially interesting options. They're likely to be more on the long-stay side so might not fit your time frame. Likewise, in Iraq, two more hardcore cities, Mosul and Raqqa, are going through a transition.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Aside from what others have noted about Lebanon, Iran and Jordan, Afghanistan is a little more off the beaten path. Not sure about couch surfing there, but AQ (al-Qaeda) and Taliban are two local chains that offer some potentially interesting options. They're likely to be more on the long-stay side so might not fit your time frame. Likewise, in Iraq, two more hardcore cities, Mosul and Raqqa, are going through a transition.
Oh, and Iran is a very welcoming place. They let you do long-term stays:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E...hikers_by_Iran

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...-hostages.html

and of course:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_hostage_crisis
Old May 12, 2017, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jadecocoa
Only been to the first 3. With 7-10 days I'd recommend combo of Jordan and Lebanon, or maybe just Jordan for 7 days. I spent 3 weeks in Iran and think 2 would be the minimum but guess you could hit the highlights in 10 (Shiraz, Isfahan, Kashan, Yazd) but distances are large.

Food excellent in Lebanon and Iran. People super friendly in Iran and Jordan, but fine in Lebanon. Price wise I think Iran is the cheapest but not sure as more tourists are there now. Amazing archeological, historical, cultural sites in each, probably the most in Iran due to size and history.

For me personally I loved Iran and liked Lebanon and Jordan.
Thanks for the input Jade, definitely appreciate it. Hmm so better Jordan or Iran... Going to do some more research on both, but Iran does sound like a better option. That sounds awesome people are so hospitable, I would always take that over amazing sights or food.

If I were only to do 1 or 2 cities in Iran, which would you recommend?
Old May 12, 2017, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson
I haven't been to any, but have been researching Iran. There are plenty of youtube videos. From what I know, Rick Steve's documentary is worth a watch, but it's nearly an hour long.

Rick Steves' Iran - YouTube

EDIT: The following is notable not because it's as good a documentary as Rick Steves'. But, one thing I've heard is that Iran people will invite you into their house etc. The guy who made this documentary visited a hospital, and was invited into the operating theatre to watch an operation! Full Documentary - Tehran, Iran - Life in Iran - YouTube
Thanks OccasionalFlyer - just got home, going to put these on and check these out tonight!
Old May 12, 2017, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keisari
How about Israel. A lot safer and more comfortable than any of the other 5 countries and lots of hiking (desert and mountains)
Been also thinking about going there, most likely for a future trip - but also sounds like a good place, everyone I know that goes there always loves it.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
I don't plan on hiking near the border, will also go on my Polish passport. The 2nd article - wonder what they were taken hostage for, it didn't give a reason.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:54 pm

+1 for Iran
In all seriousness, Qatar, UAE, and Oman are amazing. Don't need to worry about IEDs or kid napping.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:57 pm

I don't plan on hiking near the border, will also go on my Polish passport. The 2nd article - wonder what they were taken hostage for, it didn't give a reason.
It is all an excuse. You might be more of a target if the fiend out that you are an American traveling on another country's passport. Kidnapping is part of the culture.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Sounds like a promising option.

Not sure about which parts of Afghanistan are safe, but I heard Northern Iraq (I believe the portion controlled by Kurds) is safe. I have been reading about westerners backpacking / traveling through both recently, and wanted to mention those 2 countries on here to see if maybe anyone had some input. It goes without saying that there are portions of these countries that are definitely not a good idea to travel to.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:44 am

If I were only to do 1 or 2 cities in Iran, which would you recommend?
I again may be talking of what I don't know about, but from what I've read, watched, and talked to people about, Isfahan appears high on the list. Iranian people I've spoken to will 'correct' me if I don't mention Isfahan.

My planned trip will go to Tehran (much cheaper flights) and use overland transport to take in Isfahan and Shiraz (a base to see Persepolis, as well as the attractions within the city such as the tomb of Hafez.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:47 am

With time for only 2 cities probably Shiraz and Isfahan. There are intl flights into both so with limited time aim for an open jaw.

It's also possible to visit nomads from Shiraz, but this usually needs an overnight. I didn't do it due to timing but it's high on the list for my next trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.