Community
Wiki Posts
Search

when to arrive at TLV?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zspitzer
Not sure if I should post this here or in the Mid East forum, but here goes. ....
Agree this would be best in the MidEast forum to check the best responses.
So will move

While there, check out http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middl...rrive-tlv.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
3 hours is Reasonable

While others are saying 2 hours is enough, it really depends on your situation.

I arrived 3 hours prior, and barely made my flight...

I travel pretty extensively, and therefore, had been to several Muslim countries. This precipitated a more thorough screening prior to check-in, including having to explain each Muslim country stamp in my passport and confirm dates I was there. This was followed by a much more extensive security screening, whereby everything (and I mean everything) was taken out of my luggage and examined. All my electronics were swabbed as well. And then I had to repack everything (which took time considering I am a pretty efficient traveler and pack things in a specific way to fit in one carry-on).

In my case, 2 hours would have not been enough time, so plan accordingly.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:55 pm
Suspended

since the OP said they were flying on UA85, Id say 2 hours max, as long as you know you dont fit the profile where they will want to do a good checking. Also its sort of dead at that hour as most flights to Europe leave in the 4-6am time period, with the 2nd main period being 4-6pm for the night rush hour to Europe

its so dead that the Dan lounge in B is closed with a sign saying head over to C. UA usually leaves from C but if it arrives way early or late the 84 ends up pulling into the B gates.

Personally I usually get there @ T-90, never had any problems and I usually have some time to jump into the lounge to boot. But I dont want anyone else to do it since everyone is different and unless you know you wont be questioned you may miss the flight
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I got to the airport exactly three hours before boarding on July 26. There was no line at the pre-screening booth. My screening took no more than five minutes. I'm American and had no suspect stamps in my passport.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:58 am

It is irresponsible to recommend less than three hours to an unknown tourist arriving at the airport at any time.

And if you arrive 2 hrs in advance, what are you going to do with that extra hour ? Visit a museum? Can anyone guarantee that there won't be a traffic accident on the road that you take to the airport ? Better to arrive an hour early and relax in the departure lounge rather than getting hysterical if you arrive late and the lines are long.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Let's get straight to the point. Israel does racial/travel pattern profiling, if you have an Arab/Muslim sounding name regardless of passport / visited the West Bank / entered overland from Jordan / have stamps or visas from Muslim majority countries, then at least 3 hours before your flight you should be at the airport.
If you don't fit in any of the above points there's no need to get to TLV super early, 2 hours should be enough.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by redadeco
Let's get straight to the point. Israel does racial/travel pattern profiling, if you have an Arab/Muslim sounding name regardless of passport / visited the West Bank / entered overland from Jordan / have stamps or visas from Muslim majority countries, then at least 3 hours before your flight you should be at the airport.
If you don't fit in any of the above points there's no need to get to TLV super early, 2 hours should be enough.
Whatever profiling is being done, nobody knows the exact details, you could have none of the above and still be questioned for an hour and go through extended hand luggage security.

The first few times out of TLV, I always arrived 3 hours before, and always found that security for me was rather easy, even in the days before there was priority at security and when they still used to screen luggage in the departure hall, so now I am comfortable arriving even 1h30 before the flight if I'm flying alone.

Same for the first time I flew with Ms. Ditto, we arrived 3 hours before (as the first/previous time she travelled to Israel on her own, she was "profiled", despite having done none of the above), there was some extended questioning for about 5 minutes, and that was it, the next times were even shorter.

So the responsible thing for a first time traveller (and maybe even second time) would be to arrive 3 hours before...
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mbgg
It is irresponsible to recommend less than three hours to an unknown tourist arriving at the airport at any time.

And if you arrive 2 hrs in advance, what are you going to do with that extra hour ? Visit a museum? Can anyone guarantee that there won't be a traffic accident on the road that you take to the airport ? Better to arrive an hour early and relax in the departure lounge rather than getting hysterical if you arrive late and the lines are long.
wait another pedestrain bridge may collapse better make that 4+ hrs instead of 3 to be sure. why not simply camp out there the day before to be 100% positive.2 hours is more then enough unless a person has a telltale sign that they will be checked more closely or they will be leaving during the main departure times when tons of flights will be leaving,then I will agree 2 hrs will be cutting it close
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by craz
wait another pedestrain bridge may collapse better make that 4+ hrs instead of 3 to be sure. why not simply camp out there the day before to be 100% positive.2 hours is more then enough unless a person has a telltale sign that they will be checked more closely or they will be leaving during the main departure times when tons of flights will be leaving,then I will agree 2 hrs will be cutting it close
I don't care if someone decides to come 2 hrs in advance, but I am not going to recommend it, especially when I don't know if they have a "telltale sign". I repeat my question: what will the average tourist do with that extra hour ?? Nothing, so why not relax in the departure lounge ?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:13 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Ditto
Same for the first time I flew with Ms. Ditto, we arrived 3 hours before (as the first/previous time she travelled to Israel on her own, she was "profiled", despite having done none of the above), there was some extended questioning for about 5 minutes, and that was it, the next times were even shorter.
Single European and American women traveling alone are also profiled.

From The Atlantic:
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mbgg
I don't care if someone decides to come 2 hrs in advance, but I am not going to recommend it, especially when I don't know if they have a "telltale sign". I repeat my question: what will the average tourist do with that extra hour ?? Nothing, so why not relax in the departure lounge ?
1stly not everyone has free access to a lounge.2ndly not everyone can relax in the departure area or cares to. Personally I hate airports and the least amount of time I spend in them the better. And yes I always get into the Dan due to my status and I prefer being able to go straight to the gate due to boarding starting soon, then to sit in the overcrowded lounge or simply walk around just to pass time

If you or anyone else enjoy spending time in an airport term or airport lounge thats fine,I dont that includes some very nice lounges around the world
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Single European and American women traveling alone are also profiled.
She is neither, so unless you want to extend that to "every women travelling alone is profiled", I'm going to leave it at nobody knows the exact details (and those who know aren't likely to make it public knowledge)
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Pickles
If you only have carry-on and can get your boarding pass from the kiosks in the check-in area, you avoid the biggest and most time-consuming headache of all, which is the physical checking of the luggage. A CF of varying proportions, depending on the airline. Most organized and least painful is CX, with El Al by far the worst, and IB somewhere in between.

In that case, you can go through the whole circus in about 30 minutes. If you have to stand in line to check your bags, you're looking at 1:30 as an opening bid.
This is a very important point and was built into my assumption because I rarely check luggage. The UA lines for luggage and boarding passes were ridiculously long, reminded me of Cancun at holiday time. And still horrible for C/F/elites. So if you are checking bags then you may need more time.

1stly not everyone has free access to a lounge.2ndly not everyone can relax in the departure area or cares to. Personally I hate airports and the least amount of time I spend in them the better. And yes I always get into the Dan due to my status and I prefer being able to go straight to the gate due to boarding starting soon, then to sit in the overcrowded lounge or simply walk around just to pass time

If you or anyone else enjoy spending time in an airport term or airport lounge thats fine,I dont that includes some very nice lounges around the world
Agree. The Dan lounges are nothing special, and not somewhere you want to spend 2 hours. And the other problem is that many of the international flights leave early morning so you lose sleep hours, a bit different than spending 3 hours at ORD or LHR in the middle of the afternoon.

OTOH we don't want anyone to miss their flights. So I think the safe rule of thumb is 2 hours for tourists/business people with clean passports and no checked bags, and 3 hours if you have visited countries with significant Muslim populations or you had intimate or significant contact with non-Jewish locals. I'm basing this solely on the questions that are asked.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:06 am

I have personally experienced both sides of the coin.

On some of my visits to Israel, I was singled out for a very thorough check. Once I barely made it to the flight, despite having arrived 3.5 hours before departure. On other visits, it was a breeze, and I was sitting in the boring Dan lounge with not much to do.

Once I had a group of seven tourists with me, and against my recommendation, they decided to eat on the way to the airport. Finally at the airport, the lines were huge, and they had to rush like mad men to get to the gate on time. They didn't even have time to wait for each other so that they could go together through the cabin baggage security and passport control.

Bottom line: All airports have peak hours and quiet hours. All airports experience technical problems, like the baggage conveyor belts acting up, causing huge lines for check-in. On top of the regular problems that all airports face, TLV has added layers of security, which may cause delays for some travellers. Each person needs to individually determine the risk he or she is willing to take in order to get an hour of extra sleep, or eating on the way to the airport, compared to possibly missing the flight.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by dtbe
Just note that it's the summer vacations time and there might be longer lines in security and passport control (no fast lanes for J).
There is indeed a fast lane at security for F/C. Nothing for passport control but if holding an American passport (or any biometric passport), you don't need to wait on the lines as you can use the kiosks.

1stly not everyone has free access to a lounge.2ndly not everyone can relax in the departure area or cares to.
I believe "departure lounge" can also refer to the general waiting area in the airport. Quite comfortable in TLV with free WiFi, plenty of seating and charging areas, and even multiple children's gymborees.

Originally Posted by Ditto
She is neither, so unless you want to extend that to "every women travelling alone is profiled", I'm going to leave it at nobody knows the exact details (and those who know aren't likely to make it public knowledge)
Correct!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.