Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Etihad terminal 2 Cairo airport

Etihad terminal 2 Cairo airport

Old Jan 16, 17, 11:09 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: FB Blue, BA EC Blue, HH, Etihad Silver
Posts: 66
Etihad terminal 2 Cairo airport

Maybe interesting for some people here: I have a flight booked out of Cairo with Etihad on the 22th of April. Today the My flights app changed the terminal from terminal 1 to terminal 2. So Etihad should be moving to the new terminal 2 in Cairo soon.

I hope Qatar will follow soon.

Searching for a review of the business class lounge in terminal 2. If anybody has any information, please post.
regtur is offline  
Old Jan 18, 17, 11:54 am
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: FB Blue, BA EC Blue, HH, Etihad Silver
Posts: 66
Received an email from Etihad today that terminal 2 will be used from today.
regtur is offline  
Old May 22, 17, 8:03 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seoul
Programs: LH MM, BA Executice Club, AZ MM
Posts: 113
Does anybody know the transit process - arriving on EY and transit to RJ? Do I need to go through immigration ?
tkwetina is offline  
Old May 23, 17, 12:12 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: FB Blue, BA EC Blue, HH, Etihad Silver
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by tkwetina View Post
Does anybody know the transit process - arriving on EY and transit to RJ? Do I need to go through immigration ?
Yes, I have done exactly that a few weeks ago.

No you don't have to go through immigration. I only had handluggage though. Don't know what happens if you have checked baggage.

After exiting the EY plane just follow the signs to the transfer desk. They will call RJ staff to bring your BP. Be prepared for a long wait, so bring patience and a book. RJ staff was doing regular checkin at the counters when I arrived at the transferdesk, so nobody had time to come over and I had to wait 90 min. And actually longer because when I arrived at the transfer desk, it was 3,5 hours before the RJ flight and there was nobody from RJ available. So in total I waited almost 2 hours at the transfer desk. They have chairs there.

And you have to hand over your passport which will be out of sight for the time you have to wait. But don't worry, it will work out fine.
regtur is offline  
Old May 23, 17, 10:14 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seoul
Programs: LH MM, BA Executice Club, AZ MM
Posts: 113
Originally Posted by regtur View Post
Yes, I have done exactly that a few weeks ago.

No you don't have to go through immigration. I only had handluggage though. Don't know what happens if you have checked baggage.

After exiting the EY plane just follow the signs to the transfer desk. They will call RJ staff to bring your BP. Be prepared for a long wait, so bring patience and a book. RJ staff was doing regular checkin at the counters when I arrived at the transferdesk, so nobody had time to come over and I had to wait 90 min. And actually longer because when I arrived at the transfer desk, it was 3,5 hours before the RJ flight and there was nobody from RJ available. So in total I waited almost 2 hours at the transfer desk. They have chairs there.

And you have to hand over your passport which will be out of sight for the time you have to wait. But don't worry, it will work out fine.
-> Thanks for the details, impressed about the time you took.

Same time I think the option disappeared as my connection time with be 1 hour only and if I am not able to get a valid boarding pass before (e.g. online check-in and self print) I can`t make it.

I assume they need to stamp your passport as there is no real transit. Otherwise since I am on a MH ticket operated by EY on the last leg I may be able to check in at MH counter to thr RJ ticket and add it to my itinerary but if that does not work I may be stuck queuing at the transfer desk (like you)
tkwetina is offline  
Old May 25, 17, 1:59 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Posts: 12,704
Originally Posted by tkwetina View Post
-> Thanks for the details, impressed about the time you took.

Same time I think the option disappeared as my connection time with be 1 hour only and if I am not able to get a valid boarding pass before (e.g. online check-in and self print) I can`t make it.

I assume they need to stamp your passport as there is no real transit. Otherwise since I am on a MH ticket operated by EY on the last leg I may be able to check in at MH counter to thr RJ ticket and add it to my itinerary but if that does not work I may be stuck queuing at the transfer desk (like you)
You won't get a "valid boarding card" (by which I think you mean one that allows you to transit directly to the departure area). It doesn't work like that. But if RJ staff are made aware of you, I'd imagine they can cope with the situation. You might consider sensitising RJ's CAI office to your arrival.

But again, I'm guessing you selected this routing to save a wadge of cash. Why not relieve the stress by spending some of that on building in a longer connection time, possibly overnight?
IAN-UK is offline  
Old May 25, 17, 4:57 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: FB Blue, BA EC Blue, HH, Etihad Silver
Posts: 66
I think it could work out fine with only handluggage. My long wait was mainly due the fact that the RJ staff wasn't there yet and than were busy with the regular checkin process. That won't be the case 1 hour before the flight.

However, there are no guarantees ofcourse. It will be tight. More relaxing would be as Ian-UK suggested, to book a hotel, the Le Meridien at the airport is very nice, if you have the option.

Calling to the local RJ office could help, although they probably won't guarantee anything. And when I was waiting at the transfer desk I tried to call them a few times, but nobody bothered to answer the phone.
regtur is offline  
Old May 27, 17, 8:23 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seoul
Programs: LH MM, BA Executice Club, AZ MM
Posts: 113
I am changing to the BA flight leaving a bit later, no plan to stay in Cairo as I do frequently but other dates. Goal is not to leave terminal and avoid immigration

Thanks for the support
tkwetina is offline  
Old Apr 3, 18, 7:15 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Was wondering if anyone has undertaken a transfer recently? I'm interested in any experiences/tips

Have a booking on egyptair into T3 from LHR, then departing on EK from T2 to DXB. Carry on only, should be able to check in online and print boarding pass for EK flights prior to arrival in CAI. Unsure logistics of being able to stay airside between T3 and T2 given I should have BP and no need to check a bag. Any experiences/tips very much appreciated

thanks!
HBA747 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: