Search

Over 12 hrs Layover in AUH

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TMTL
Over 12 hrs Layover in AUH

Hello FTer!
If I posted this on the wrong thread please move it accordingly...
First time posting here ( but have been reading posts for over 3 yrs) and would very much appreciate all the guidance by all of you folks. Hubby and I are going to be in AUH towards the end of February for a very looong layover. Flight arrives at 0715, departing at 2220 via EY first class. I ( we) don't want to waste all of our time sitting at the airport lounge so we are trying to figure out what would be our best way/options to kill time while in AUH. Like, where to go first, in between, etc..Thanks so much for any ideas..
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:55 pm

The Sheik Zayed Mosque shouldn't be missed. It's spectacular. They give free guided tours periodically throughout the day as well. Also visit the Emirates Palace Hotel. They have a cafe in the middle of the entrance that serves a gold cappuccino and the most delicious chocolate lava cake you'll ever have. You could also walk down the Corniche, the main beach area.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Should we go to the Mosque first, then to the Emirates palace then maybe walk around the Corniche? Or should it be the other way around? How easy is it to catch a taxi to and from these places? Thanks again.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Mosque is open until 10pm..lots of taxis and in between airport and town, so depends whether you want to begin or end your layover there. Be sure to have a headscarf for females and dress modestly..pants are fine. Lots of taxis there..it is spectacular and you could easily spend a couple of hours there..the corniche is beautiful as well.. bUT could be hot to walk during the day. Don't miss Emirates palace..13 restaurants ..good food we had Lebanese..and easy to get a taxi ..there are also some museums if you have time..there are also fruit vegetable and plant markets..if you like those things..

Also read what's available in the ey first class lounge..we were in business ..but have heard lots to do..barbershop,spa etc so you see how much time you want there..and leave time maybe for a meal..your checkin will not take much time at all.

You could also see if you can hire a driver for the day if that makes sense
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by SeaGal24
Thanks for the reply. Should we go to the Mosque first, then to the Emirates palace then maybe walk around the Corniche? Or should it be the other way around? How easy is it to catch a taxi to and from these places? Thanks again.
I would go to the arrivals lounge for a shower/freshen up, then take a taxi into town and go for a walk along the Corniche, working up an appetite for a leisurely lunch at Emirates Palace or Jumeirah Etihad Towers. That still leaves quite a hole to fill for about 6-7 hours though after that. The mosque will probably be 1-2 hours, leaving some time for any other activities you might be attracted to.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:10 am

So there isn't much in Abu Dhabi. You could just go directly to Dubai, if you want stuff to do. It isn't that far (an hour?).
Abu Dhabi seems like a sleepy little place. But yea, you can just go check out some stuff and then head back to the airport. There actually isn't that much to do in the lounge, and isn't humongous like the Emirates one (of which they have multiple as well). They do have massages, spa treatments. Dining is nice and also the bar. A sleeping room in which you have a bright screen with pretty pictures in front of you (I didn't sleep so it was nice, but can't imagine trying to sleep with the bright video playing).
2 hours for the lounge is good, 3 is stretching it.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the tips. I need to figure out also what would be the best way to use the chauffeur service provided by Etihad. Will Etihad let me go to Dubai using the chauffeur service? I tentatively booked the arrival chauffeur service to the Mosque so I may need to tweak that.... If nothing else we'll just take taxi around AUH just to kill time as I get so bored easily just being in one place.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:27 am

Yes if you're eligible for the chauffeur service they will take you anywhere in the UAE. But with only 12 hours I wouldn't waste 3 hours of that time driving to Dubai and back.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
What day of the week will you be there?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

We'll be there Monday, arriving at 7:15 AM and our flight doesn't leave until 1022 PM
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
Yes if you're eligible for the chauffeur service they will take you anywhere in the UAE. But with only 12 hours I wouldn't waste 3 hours of that time driving to Dubai and back.
Agreed and yes its not as glitzy as Dubai but in Dubai you see all the same global brands that are everywhere ..the mosque is truly unique and one of the few mosques that is open to all.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Agreed and yes its not as glitzy as Dubai but in Dubai you see all the same global brands that are everywhere ..the mosque is truly unique and one of the few mosques that is open to all.
So when I went to Casablanca I was told this was one of the few mosques open to all, so I am skeptical when hearing your statement about one of the few, and looked it up.

Never not permitted

Apparently in UK and Germany (at least from a quick search) they are opening mosques to all. Even in Saudi Arabia they opened up 4 mosques. Apparently Jumierah Mosque in Dubai you can enter as well.
Anyway, I didn't go to the mosque in Abu Dhabi, but it does look pretty nice. Though it doesn't have much of a backdrop, unlike the Hassan II in Casablanca.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
It's not a waste if it gets you somewhere good. Anyway my impression of Abu Dhabi, after being there a day, is "I know why people go straight from AUH to Dubai".

OP, if you haven't seen Dubai, you have to go at least once. I don't think anybody would say the same for Abu Dhabi.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
The Grand Mosque is great (and they provide appropriate clothing at the location) but unfortunately, that's all there really is.

Given your timings, with the chauffeur service, you could do a full day in Dubai (9-5). If you can be dropped & picked from different locations, you could ask to be dropped at the Burj Khalifa. From there you can work your way down toward Dubai Marina / JBR and asked to be picked up from Dubai Marina Mall.

1030 am - Burj Khalifa; requires booking for a specific slot in advance otherwise price is 4x (you will reach by 10 quite easily but assuming any delays for the inbound flight); won't take more than 45 minutes total
1130 am - Bastakiya; The Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Center for Cultural Understanding organizes a 90-minute walking tour of one of Dubai's oldest district & they show you traditional houses while explaining a bit about Dubai's history
1 pm - Lunch @ Bastakiya; The SMCCU also organizes a daily lunch session of traditional Emirati food (rice & meat / fish) - both the activities need to be booked in advance
3 pm - Souq Madinat Jumeirah; a high-end shopping experience in a traditional style Arabic Souq; you can sit at one of the coffee shops and get views of the Burj Al Arab
4 pm - The Beach @ Jumeirah Beach Residence; outdoor shopping mall / dining with a beachside walking track where you can go for a stroll
5 pm - pick-up from any of the hotels on JBR (Sofitel, Rotana, Doubletree)

You will be back at AUH by 7pm max giving you time to freshen up in the lounge

Traveling from place to place can be done by taxi (cheap & safe) and drivers know all of the above locations; Uber is also fully operational (Careem is the local competitor).
Local taxis are normally Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, Hyundai Sonata & Toyota Innova while Uber / Careem use Lexus sedans (GS i think) and are around 20% more expensive (before surge pricing)

In this itinerary, I've tried to balance out traditional experiences with more contemporary ones while largely avoiding malls. You could also spend an entire day between Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall and Souq Al Bahar (Downtown Dubai) if you like.

Ro
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Thank you guys for all the suggestions! I knew I can get wealth of info here I haven't really been to Dubai since the only time that we were there was an after midnight arrival last year and can't do anything but sleep on the Emirates lounge.
It will be worth considering a travel to Dubai thinking my hubby want to see Burj Khalifa....
Right now I've booked the chauffeur service for the Mosque upon arrival. Does anybody know if Etihad will let me change that? If not, how much will it approximately cost us to go to Dubai from AUH? I have not used my departure chauffeur service so that can still be utilize going back to AUH. Thanks again everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.