Search

Cairo airport hassles?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Grace B

Just a salutary little (true) story...
I feel for you, having been through the card cancelling routine myself.

I'm pleased you are not categorically accusing Cairo airport staff of outright theft.

I'd be a little uneasy about pointing the finger at them, with nothing more than a feeling of unease as back up, and the general association of the place with dodgy goings on. In truth the wallet could have been misplaced or stolen anywhere between the bank counter at Cairo T2 and A3's lounge at Athens. There are potential threats from opportunist thieves at every point of any journey: on a recent A3 night flight to Cairo they warned about the security of valuables in overhead bins. My over the shoulder bag was inexplicably open when i got to the security inspection point at, of all places, Doha.

Cairo airport is heavily monitored, by CCTV and other means; and staff are, of course, aware of that. Some might take the chance: but they'd be taking quite a risk for an uncertain reward.

Your lesson should most certainly be heeded, but at all airports, not only in Cairo.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I'd be a little uneasy about pointing the finger at them, with nothing more than a feeling of unease as back up, and the general association of the place with dodgy goings on.
Yes, you're right, of course, and really, I can't be sure exactly what happened to my wallet.

But, I did read somewhere (can't remember where) about organised crime gangs, involving some airport personnel, having been active at CAI airport. Not to say that's what happened or it doesn't happen at other airports, and vigilance is always paramount.

As a result of my experience I now carry much less in my (new) wallet when travelling, and do keep some cash and other important stuff elsewhere in my bag (as I did to a lesser extent last time, which was a life-saver). The joys of travelling...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:26 am

I find the best solution to avoid pick pockets and/or theft of passport/wallets/cash/credit cards is to make use of a hidden pouch that straps to one's calf. The models I have are large enough to hold passports, cash and credit cards, and fastened tightly can be worn with slim fit trousers. I travel with an ID holder that is just large enough to hold about 6 credit/ID cards and a couple of bills. I keep it in one of my front trouser pockets, which makes it very difficult for a pick pocket to access. Knock wood, in my many years of travel, both solo and with my late wife, this strategy has never falied me.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:33 am

I've also used the services of the infamous CAI touts to get ahead of the lines at security. They have relationships with staff that makes it seem "official" when, of course, we know it is not. For 50-100 EGP ($3-$6 USD), they allow me to circumvent certain protocols, even without having a BP in hand. They will use the business class or Gold Track lanes, even if you do not qualify to use them. Just make sure not to let them see them a wad of bills, as their eyes will dictate how much they can cajole out of you.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Wow thank you. I agree you have to be careful wherever you are, and I was already planning to purchase some concealable travel wallet that can hold passport, phone, cash, and cards. I intend to have my passport on my person at all times, b/c I am not sure if there will be safes in the Egypt hotels/cruise ship, nor would I trust that people couldn't get into them anyway even if they are in each room.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
After doing some more reading, it appears that opinions are mixed on keeping your passport with you at all times or leaving it in the hotel room safe. I have inquired of the tour company, and they say that all hotels and the cruise ship have room safes in addition to a hotel/ship safe.

Would it be safer to leave the passport in the hotel ROOM safe or the hotel safe at the front desk? It would be more convenient to leave it in the room but if left behind the front desk and something happened, there would be less people that would have had access to it.

I'm really torn about having it at all times or leaving it - thoughts?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
After doing some more reading, it appears that opinions are mixed on keeping your passport with you at all times or leaving it in the hotel room safe. I have inquired of the tour company, and they say that all hotels and the cruise ship have room safes in addition to a hotel/ship safe.

Would it be safer to leave the passport in the hotel ROOM safe or the hotel safe at the front desk? It would be more convenient to leave it in the room but if left behind the front desk and something happened, there would be less people that would have had access to it.

I'm really torn about having it at all times or leaving it - thoughts?
Just leave it in the room safe. Not sure why you are so worried. Carry a photocopy with you, and don't leave the passport in the safe when you leave .....(it does happen!!)
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Second time I came through Cairo Airport I exited the terminal to wait for our guide who I had used before so he was more like a friend. My husband and I were approached and given the "it's too hot, your ride probably won't be here" ruse. I said "this isn't hot, last week was hotter" They questioned who was picking us up. I said my Egyptian friend was collecting us and they won't care what the weather is. He expressed surprise that I had an Egyptian friend and seemed to back off then. At that moment I saw our guide and the driver, who I knew well and said..."hey there's our friend". The local touts/scammers saw our guide wave at us and turned to walk away with a look on their face that said.."damn, we wasted time on these two".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.