Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Egypt: visa on arrival is still available for US citizens?

Old Oct 29, 2016, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PAL million miler (1.6 M ), AA Platinum ( almost 1 M)

I am flying from L.A.X then thinking of going out for a day in egypt then proceed with my flight.. Is visa on arrival is still available?

I was searching in wikipedia.. is this true? I dont need a transit visa?

Transit without a visa[edit]
Holders of onward tickets can transit for a maximum time of 12 hours. This is not applicable to nationals of Iran who are required to hold a transit visa. Leaving the airport is permitted for passengers with transit time between 6 and 12 hours. This is not applicable to nationals of Afghanistan, Lebanon, Palestine and Philippines who must remain in the transit area (airside) and must continue by the same or first connecting aircraft.[1]

thanks guys
Old Oct 30, 2016, 2:57 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
I think the current price of a tourist visa on arrival is $25, bring USD cash.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:57 am

Definitely still available and yes is 25 USD cash (or 20 GBP).

You pay and get your receipt from one of the bank counters before the passport control lines. All fairly easy.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by JNLentertainment

Holders of onward tickets can transit for a maximum time of 12 hours. This is not applicable to nationals of Iran who are required to hold a transit visa. Leaving the airport is permitted for passengers with transit time between 6 and 12 hours. This is not applicable to nationals of Afghanistan, Lebanon, Palestine and Philippines who must remain in the transit area (airside) and must continue by the same or first connecting aircraft.[1]

thanks guys
Addressing the second part of your query.... I've been vaguely aware of a visa-free transit entry to Egypt, but never had occasion to use it. Many others have, though, as part of transit tours organised by MS and the airline's agents.

A cursory look at Timatic suggests the facility exists, and is more generous than 12 hours. But security issues could mean this has all changed: or at best is open to interpretation.

If you want to try, i'd suggest asking at the transfer desk before you hit immigration. But be prepared to head over to a bank window to buy a visa stamp for your passport.

In the end, the visa route is likely to be easier, faster and it's virtually hassle free: it just costs you USD25😁
Old Nov 7, 2016, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: PAL million miler (1.6 M ), AA Platinum ( almost 1 M)
thank you guys
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:33 am

Programs: Most FF and hotel, i.e., spread too thin.
visa on arrival in Egypt ok

Get visa on arrival at a foreign exchange kiosk before immigration.

I do not understand how you would get out of the airport without a visa. I did not see anything about that. However, if possible to do it you could see quite a bit in 10-12 hours including allowing 2-4 hours for rush hour traffic. You could get to Giza and back or to the museum and back - but probably not both. Make sure to get a certified Egyptology guide.

Originally Posted by JNLentertainment
I am flying from L.A.X then thinking of going out for a day in egypt then proceed with my flight.. Is visa on arrival is still available?

thanks guys
Old Dec 10, 2016, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
A cursory look at Timatic suggests the facility exists, and is more generous than 12 hours. But security issues could mean this has all changed: or at best is open to interpretation.

If you want to try, i'd suggest asking at the transfer desk before you hit immigration. But be prepared to head over to a bank window to buy a visa stamp for your passport.
I did just that and was plainly told to buy a visa. They did not hear of the visa-free (or free visa) option.

Shuly
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Red face Mistaken post - deleted

Mistakenly posted here - deleted.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Dec 14, 2016 at 1:30 pm
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I got in as an American from Taba. Definitely had to pay both leaving Israel and entering Egypt but no need to pre arrange a visa.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.