Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Recommended airlines to Tel Aviv?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA

Hello. There's a possibility that I might have to fly from Chicago to Tel Aviv (I don't know exactly when yet) and I have a couple of questions. First, are there any airlines that offer true "premium economy" service (more than just extra legroom)? And in the event that there are but I can't afford them, who offers the best standard economy experience?

Finally, on the off chance that I can upgrade to business class with miles, which Star Alliance partners would you recommend? (I hesitate to fly United itself, since I've heard from numerous sources that domestic airlines aren't the best option for flying overseas.)

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Welcome to FT!!

As in most cases, what works for one doesn't for the other. There are so many factors to consider, such as price, scheduling, frequent flyer program, etc.

However, just based on product alone, the only true premium economy that flies to TLV that makes sense for you is BA. You can fly World Traveller Plus ORD-LHR-TLV and get it on both legs. Other airlines that fly to TLV and offer true premium economy don't offer it on the TLV leg.

As a secondary, you can fly DL from JFK and fly Comfort+ which is a pseudo premium economy.

As for the best economy experience, it depends on what you're looking for. Few airlines have wowed me in Y. BA isn't bad nor is LX. I'd stay away from LH. I've been fine with UA and LY is also not a bad option in Y.

If looking to upgrade to C on *A, you'll want an airline that'll give you true C the whole way there. UA offers that EWR/SFO-TLV, AC offers it YYZ-TLV, LX usually offers it ZRH-TLV but occasionally subs an A320, and finally, OS occasionally offers it VIE-TLV.

I'd actually lean to UA on this one, but note that it's a very hard upgrade.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Welcome to FT!!

As in most cases, what works for one doesn't for the other. There are so many factors to consider, such as price, scheduling, frequent flyer program, etc.

However, just based on product alone, the only true premium economy that flies to TLV that makes sense for you is BA. You can fly World Traveller Plus ORD-LHR-TLV and get it on both legs. Other airlines that fly to TLV and offer true premium economy don't offer it on the TLV leg.

As a secondary, you can fly DL from JFK and fly Comfort+ which is a pseudo premium economy.

As for the best economy experience, it depends on what you're looking for. Few airlines have wowed me in Y. BA isn't bad nor is LX. I'd stay away from LH. I've been fine with UA and LY is also not a bad option in Y.

If looking to upgrade to C on *A, you'll want an airline that'll give you true C the whole way there. UA offers that EWR/SFO-TLV, AC offers it YYZ-TLV, LX usually offers it ZRH-TLV but occasionally subs an A320, and finally, OS occasionally offers it VIE-TLV.

You left out AC with a ORD-YYZ-TLV routing. There wont be prem economy bet ORD & YYZ but its a very short flight anyways, AC uses a 787 on its TLV route

Havent seen a true Biz seat on OS in a very long while and Ive flown them in Biz at least between TLV/BRU, and otherwise its teh same hard seat as LX has US/BRU. The good thing its a 777 out of ORD I refuse to fly out of IAD/JFK/EWR where OS uses a 767

LX seat I find is hard like a rock in Biz as is OSs, and LX in Y doesnt allow you to pick a seat unless you pay for it. My last LX flight in Y from ZRH-TLV I stood 95% of the way, my return got lucky in getting the bulkhead but it was Yom Tov Shani

I usually fly UA in Y in Prem economy in an aisle seat in the middle section and find its OK and enough extra leg room being 6'2". Lifetime status gets it for $0

OP there will be little if any folks getting an Upgrade using a co-pay and miles on any UA flight. Could be you have better odds in being the sole winner in a Mega Millions Lottery
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Welcome to FT!!

Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me which airlines LX, LH, LY and OS stand for? And what does "C on *A" refer to?

Originally Posted by craz
You left out AC with a ORD-YYZ-TLV routing. There wont be prem economy bet ORD & YYZ but its a very short flight anyways, AC uses a 787 on its TLV route

Havent seen a true Biz seat on OS in a very long while and Ive flown them in Biz at least between TLV/BRU, and otherwise its teh same hard seat as LX has US/BRU. The good thing its a 777 out of ORD I refuse to fly out of IAD/JFK/EWR where OS uses a 767

LX seat I find is hard like a rock in Biz as is OSs, and LX in Y doesnt allow you to pick a seat unless you pay for it. My last LX flight in Y from ZRH-TLV I stood 95% of the way, my return got lucky in getting the bulkhead but it was Yom Tov Shani

I usually fly UA in Y in Prem economy in an aisle seat in the middle section and find its OK and enough extra leg room being 6'2". Lifetime status gets it for $0

OP there will be little if any folks getting an Upgrade using a co-pay and miles on any UA flight. Could be you have better odds in being the sole winner in a Mega Millions Lottery
Thanks for your reply as well. What do you mean by "using a co-pay and miles"? I was thinking along the lines of paying for standard economy and using United miles to upgrade on another Star Alliance partner (not UA). Is that not doable?

I wouldn't be all that particular about the shorter leg if it were a short enough flight -- Like less than 4 hours.

Yes, I admit that my questions are a bit simplistic to experienced travelers. Thanks for your anticipated patience!

Last edited by elycelynne; Jul 20, 2016 at 3:03 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I forgot that AC started premium economy. How is it?

I've seen a mix between narrow-body but also 767 VIE-TLV with true C

I also find their seats hard, in both C and Y. But their C seat is a nice suite.

I fly Economy Plus as well but that's not a true premium economy. It's just some (barely) extra legroom. No difference in seat otherwise and no difference in service

Originally Posted by elycelynne
Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me which airlines LX, LH, LY and OS stand for? And what does "C on *A" refer to?
Sure, no problem!

First, I recommend checking out the FlyerTalk Glossary.

LX = SWISS International Airlines
LH = Lufthansa
LY = EL AL
OS = Austrian Airlines

C = code to refer to Business Class
F = First Class
Y = Economy Class
Y+ = Premium Economy
E+ (in reference to UA) = Economy Plus

*A = Star Alliance

Thanks for your reply as well. What do you mean by "using a co-pay and miles"? I was thinking along the lines of paying for standard economy and using United miles to upgrade on another Star Alliance partner (not UA). Is that not doable?
To upgrade on UA requires miles and a co-pay. The miles are standard but the co-pay is determined based on what fare class your ticket is. More info in the UA board. The EWR-TLV flight is notoriously hard to upgrade

I wouldn't be all that particular about the shorter leg if it were a short enough flight -- Like less than 4 hours.
ORD-EWR/YYZ is short enough then

Yes, I admit that my questions are a bit simplistic to experienced travelers. Thanks for your anticipated patience!
No such thing as "too simplistic!" Happy travels!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks again, joshwex90. Just one more thing for clarification, though.

My question about using UA miles to upgrade to C referred to the possibility of doing this on a *A carrier other than United. (Just as an example and I know it's a different partnership, several years ago someone I know used their AA miles to upgrade to C to fly to Sydney on QF.) Provided that there was availability, would I be able to do something like this with *A?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can indeed use UA miles to upgrade on other airlines that are *A members. Just saying that it's still a difficult upgrade
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Try Turkish Airlines

What about TK (Turkish Airlines)? They are currently offering very competitive fares YUL-IST-TLV in biz. class. No overnight layover req'd!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:05 pm
Suspended

You can indeed use UA miles to upgrade on other airlines that are *A members. Just saying that it's still a difficult upgrade
I knew you can use UAs Global Upgrade certs to up on LH (OP you get these either by having flown enough to be a 1K , know a 1K or GS person who will gift them to you, or somehow have a couple fall into your lap). Not sure whom besides LH the GPUs can be used on. Never knew that UA would allow Miles and a co-pay to up a non UA metal(or PMCO metal) flight

Havent flown AC in their Prem Economy, did walk past it to get to my reg Y seat. It looked OK I think it was 2-3-2 rather then 3-3-3 foot rests and plenty of leg room. No idea about what the service is like,Id assume same as reg Y
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
What about TK (Turkish Airlines)? They are currently offering very competitive fares YUL-IST-TLV in biz. class. No overnight layover req'd!
The OP is departing from ORD so does TK serve ORD? I wouldnt do a ORD-YUL-IST-TLV unless it was $100s less then everyone else and even then Im not sure Id jump, not only due to it being TK but I try not to do more then 1 stop as it kills the overall total time from the O to the D
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
(I hesitate to fly United itself, since I've heard from numerous sources that domestic airlines aren't the best option for flying overseas.)
That is absolute nonsense.
Ask your sources why they would think that, or better yet, find new ones!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
LX seat I find is hard like a rock in Biz
I also find their seats hard, in both C and Y. But their C seat is a nice suite.
Strange, I've always found the C seat very comfortable (both on LX and BA's M/H A321 which offers the same seat), and I hate hard seats.

Only time I ended up on a rock hard seat was when I found myself on a dreaded deflated one, and the crew couldn't get it fixed.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Forgot about TK, and they're a decent option in Y. But wouldn't recommend flying ex-YUL...

The OP is departing from ORD so does TK serve ORD? I wouldnt do a ORD-YUL-IST-TLV unless it was $100s less then everyone else and even then Im not sure Id jump, not only due to it being TK but I try not to do more then 1 stop as it kills the overall total time from the O to the D
TK does fly ORD-IST

I knew you can use UAs Global Upgrade certs to up on LH (OP you get these either by having flown enough to be a 1K , know a 1K or GS person who will gift them to you, or somehow have a couple fall into your lap). Not sure whom besides LH the GPUs can be used on. Never knew that UA would allow Miles and a co-pay to up a non UA metal(or PMCO metal) flight
Another option but would need those GPUs guaranteed. Is the process for upgrading on LH still annoying? Regardless, that still leaves a 4 hour flight FRA/MUC-TLV on the NEK

Originally Posted by clubman
^

Strange, I've always found the C seat very comfortable (both on LX and BA's M/H A321 which offers the same seat), and I hate hard seats.

Only time I ended up on a rock hard seat was when I found myself on a dreaded deflated one, and the crew couldn't get it fixed.
Flown LX A330 and A340 and find both (C and Y) extremely hard. I also hate the IFE on LX. I like everything about the C seat besides how hard it is and the IFE. Great privacy and excellent service. But yes, I find it hard, which is fine enough TLV-ZRH, but too much when flying ZRH-USA.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:06 am
Original Poster

So you're saying that an overseas flight in C on UA isn't an inferior experience to that of any of the international *A airlines? Was someone guilty of a gross generalization?

Last edited by elycelynne; Jul 22, 2016 at 11:18 am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:48 pm
Suspended

So you're saying that an overseas flight in C on UA isn't an inferior experience to that of any of the international *A airlines? Was someone guilty of a gross generalization?
I can only answer for myself. I generally find the service in any cabin inferior to many Intl Carriers. The food is usually better with them as well. The IFE I find to be way below US carriers. I prefer the more padded seats on US carriers

Now being 6'2" there are very few seats on US Carriers where I can actually lie down and be comfortable,in order to do so I must be in a bulkhead seat where there is no seat ahead of me = no shell of the seat in front of me = a large footwell so I can get my feet in and turn if need be while sleeping. With all teh other seats I cant put the seat all the way down since I cant get my feet into that very tiny footwell area. That said on LX.OS,LH etc I need to have the well in front of me open to the aisle otherwise I wont beable to turn while sleeping.

But its a YMMV issue and all depends on what a person thinks are the important issues while flying. Unfortunately most US carriers have FAs that really dont give a darn about you or me and simply want to get their work done and then go find a place to hide till arrival, no different then I found on several Intl carriers as well. But generally on an Intl Carrier you will find well meaning FAs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.