Wiki Posts
Search

Ramadan - Evenings

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates, Qatar Airways
Ramadan - Evenings

I'll be in Dubai over the weekend of 23rd June with a friend. We'll no doubt want to go out and have a few drinks etc. We live in Qatar where there it is 'dry' for Ramadan.

Is everything pretty much open come sunset?

Will the malls be open in the day? I read earlier even the food court at the MOTE / DM was open in the day...

Any advice greatly received.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Alcohol is available in the evening but music, etc is low key. Many club-style venues will be closed.

Malls open as usual (and until later at night) and will probably have a screened-off area so non-fasters can eat. I haven't been into Dubai yet so I don't know precisely what's happening this year.

I assume you know of iftar buffets but visitors during the holy month should try this fast-breaking feast at sunset. Most hotels provide one.

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/201606...nth-in-the-uae
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that - yes aware of the Iftar and Suhoor events. Lots here in Doha... Dubai is just a bit more 'normal' ?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:02 am

Maybe so; I've only visited Doha a few times and only outside Ramadan.

Clearly you won't be eating, drinking or smoking in public during the day but you won't go hungry and you won't struggle to get a beer in the evening if you can survive without a band or DJ.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Yep as I suspected, thanks for your info.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:23 am

I've been told that alcohol is now available during the day in Dubai. (From 2nd day of Ramadan)

Last edited by muscat; Jun 9, 2016 at 1:24 am Reason: Edit
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Where?

Where?

Originally Posted by muscat
I've been told that alcohol is now available during the day in Dubai. (From 2nd day of Ramadan)
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:05 am

I hear that some of the hotels in Madinat Jumeirah are serving alcohol during the day.

I am surprised but I guess it's a sign of the struggling economy, as well as the holy month moving closer to the tourist high season.

Here's a list of restaurants open during the day: http://www.thenational.ae/arts-life/...g-ramadan-2016
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:10 am

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
I was very surprised to see real bacon at a hotel in Dubai during my stay on Tuesday, especially during Ramadan. Had dinner out last night in Abu Dhabi and there was no alcohol allowed to be served. But I believe that Abu Dhabi is stricter than Dubai.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: United 1K
The nicer hotels will have everything you want typically - if yours doesn't, I'm sure you can find one that will have a bar open. Malls are definitely open...what else would you do in Dubai?
Old Jun 19, 2016, 3:08 am
Original Poster

I had this discussion yesterday with a friend who lives there. I've been going to Dubai work / leisure for 6 / 7 years. The changes I've seen in that time.

She said the same that some places were serving alcohol during the day through Ramadan. Also the same with pork being on the menu in certain hotels when I first went over in about 2010 there would have been no chance of this.

I'm guessing it's to appeal to all and the vision for the 2020 Expo etc.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Just come back yesterday evening, for the record quite a few bars were open and happily selling alcohol. There were no live bands / loud music however but apart from that it was pretty normal.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by FlossieFlyer
I was very surprised to see real bacon at a hotel in Dubai during my stay on Tuesday, especially during Ramadan. Had dinner out last night in Abu Dhabi and there was no alcohol allowed to be served. But I believe that Abu Dhabi is stricter than Dubai.
There are plenty of hotels in Abu Dhabi where you can have alcohol with your evening meal during Ramadan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.