Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

AMM transit with two airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMM transit with two airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
1)Airport wise 1:50 is plenty of time. RJ closes the gate at T-15 min, so you have 1:30 to get to your gate if everything is on time. You will probably be at the gate 15 minutes after stepping off your TK flight.

-It helps that you are departing on RJ, because there is transit desk there and if you were slightly delayed they can fast track you thru security to make sure you get on.
-What does not help is that midnight is a very busy time in AMM because you have RJ111 arriving from LHR, which means that there is a possibility that you will be behind 150-200 pax transferring to BKK and Gulf flights. That said, the RJ transit desk rep can help you and inform the gate reps that you are coming and fast track you (it's normal in AMM).
Wow, that's quick. We'll be in business on TK (likely coach for the hop to DOH), so hopefully we get some kind of fast track for immigration/customs.

What I would do in your situation is to get the ticket for the 1:50 am departure and if you find that your IST flight is delayed by over an hour to call RJ and to cancel the reservation (not the ticket itself). This way you would avoid paying the no show fee and would pay the penalty (should be around 40EUR even on the lowest fares, but check the conditions before purchasing+ potential fare difference). You may even get lucky and get the penalty and/or fare difference waived if you get a sympathetic agent....they absolutely don't have to do that, but they may. It helps if you are an OW elite of course.
Not a OW elite, but will check to see how much penalties are. Any idea if the 8am is usually full or would there be a possibility of getting on it if we miss the 1:50am?

2) Have not checked their rates recently, what are they quoting? It's not a great hotel, just your average 4 star airport hotel. I would not pay over 100$ for it (150$ maximum, if meet and greet and breakfast are included).
Like 140 including breakfast, meet/greet, etc. If I am just there for a few hours to sleep and shower, I don't really care if it is 5 star. Just need to be super convenient and safe+clean. If I stay over, the convenience vs an off airport hotel seems fine.

3)Get the transit visa on your first arrival and a single visa on the second one. It only makes sense to get the visa in the embassy if you want to save some time in the airport on arrival. If you decide to do that ,then perhaps it's better to get the double visa for 98$ (single is 68$) just to get out of the airport faster.
OK, that makes sense. I just wasn't sure if there would be any trouble due to a quick transit out and quick turn back to AMM in 24-36 hours. I also see the "Jordan Pass" available which waives visa fees. So, my thought was to just transit visa first, then use the Jordan Pass visa fee waiver for our actual tourist time in Jordan. Unclear if getting the Jordan Pass means I can get the double entry visa for free from the embassy or if that is just for landing in Jordan.

To sum up, it really depends on your personality. Are you willing to take a small risk,or do you prefer to play it safe? Are you willing to pay 30$ to avoid quing up for visa on arrival (you'd have to que up for a visa first and then another time for immigration clearance).
You nailed it. For a trip like this, with spouse, special occasion, I am usually pretty conservative. I'm the guy that shows up at the airport early and waits vs last minute. But it is sounding like this could work. I'll check to see if TK has any traditional delays on this flight. Will also check with my wife. Another option I see if an 11:45am flight AMM-DOH which would mean time for a proper sleep at the airport hotel and a leisurely time in and out of AMM -- risk+stress vs hotel costs.

You really are an amazing resource, thank you for responding so quickly and thoroughly.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by abaheti
Wow, that's quick. We'll be in business on TK (likely coach for the hop to DOH), so hopefully we get some kind of fast track for immigration/customs.

Not a OW elite, but will check to see how much penalties are. Any idea if the 8am is usually full or would there be a possibility of getting on it if we miss the 1:50am?
It's really difficult to give an average load figure for a flight because the standard deviation is just too high. DOH flights do fill up these days because RJ is carrying A LOT extra traffic because of the situation with QR. The 1:50am departure (2:50am in summer season) has now been upscaled to 787.

Like 140 including breakfast, meet/greet, etc. If I am just there for a few hours to sleep and shower, I don't really care if it is 5 star. Just need to be super convenient and safe+clean. If I stay over, the convenience vs an off airport hotel seems fine.
That's not unreasonable if it includes meet/greet e.t.c. There is nothing wrong with it, it's just not a luxury hotel, but it serves its purpose well.

There is really no point to go anywhere else, to be honest, the next nearest hotel is at the 7th Circle in Amman proper, Madaba or the Dead Sea... all at least 30 min away.

OK, that makes sense. I just wasn't sure if there would be any trouble due to a quick transit out and quick turn back to AMM in 24-36 hours. I also see the "Jordan Pass" available which waives visa fees. So, my thought was to just transit visa first, then use the Jordan Pass visa fee waiver for our actual tourist time in Jordan. Unclear if getting the Jordan Pass means I can get the double entry visa for free from the embassy or if that is just for landing in Jordan.
There should be no problems whatsoever with your quick turnaround.

Jordan Pass is a very good idea. I don't think they will give you a free double visa though because you have to stay for 3 nights (which you would not on your first entry) and it probably waives the visa charges once per purchase. No harm to ask though.

You nailed it. For a trip like this, with spouse, special occasion, I am usually pretty conservative. I'm the guy that shows up at the airport early and waits vs last minute. But it is sounding like this could work. I'll check to see if TK has any traditional delays on this flight. Will also check with my wife. Another option I see if an 11:45am flight AMM-DOH which would mean time for a proper sleep at the airport hotel and a leisurely time in and out of AMM -- risk+stress vs hotel costs.

You really are an amazing resource, thank you for responding so quickly and thoroughly.

According to FR24, out of the last 7 flights- 4 have arrived a few minutes early, one delayed by 25 minutes and one arrived 1:40 late. The good thing is once you take off from IST, you can pretty much guarantee the exact arrival time at the gate in AMM because ATC congestions are almost unheard of and the taxi time is very short here.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:05 am

Thank you again, Rami Tamimi! Well, we're leaning towards taking the 8am flight to avoid any risk of IST weather delays, so that means the airport hotel. I was able to find documentation that Jordan Pass only waives one entry visa. So the idea would be to arrive, get a transit visa, then on return to AMM show the Jordan Pass to get the tourist visa fee waived.

Arriving on TK, transiting to RJ, less than 12 hours total, American passports, will the transit visa be free (and if so, head to normal immigration or to the RJ transit desk?) -- I can't seem to find the cost vs a single entry tourist visa?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Mariott Gold
@abaheti, did you end up doing this? My husband and I are doing a very similar trip, but in reverse. We are planning on getting the Jordan Pass for when we first arrive, stay a week, then fly to Cyprus for 5 days (with Ryanair). When we arrive back in Jordan it will be just under 24 hours before we fly out again to go home on Royal Jordanian.

If you did this, where did you get the transit visa? Did you have any problems with you leaving the airport or arriving back with the transit visa?

(We're flying with only carry-on, no need for baggage transfer).
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:52 am

@canadianjennifer -- Yes! It worked out very well, I think I described the experience in another thread. (Your bottom line is take whatever Rami Tamimi says as gospel.)

Our itinerary ended up being IST-AMM-(sleep on transit visa)-DOH-(overnight)-AMM-(tour and land cross to Israel). We arrived very late night and opted for the meet and greet service from the airport hotel. We were met, walked through immigration, given transit visas, taken to the hotel, slept, then back to the airport. You could do it without the meet and greet, but we got it as part of the hotel package and just didn't want to deal with it on our own (plus a shower and a bed is nice). Not sure if the forms were confusing or just looked so because we were sleepy and didn't need to engage because we had someone handling it for us. :-) We then went back to AMM from DOH. When we got back to AMM we did the normal tourist visa line but via the Jordan Pass. No issues. Also, when leaving Jordan by land to Israel the Jordan Pass got us out of the exit fee. Well worth it for the sites we saw and visa costs etc. So, our experience is that the transit visa + Jordan Pass works just fine.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:20 am

Hi Rami Tamimi and everybody,

I read some of your comments on a AMM thread, and believe you might provide me with answer.

Next month, I going to fly from Vienna to Amman by Laudamotion/Ryanair, ETA 17:00PM. I have an onward flight the same day ETD 22:15 Saudia Airlines AMM to CGK (via Jeddah). My question is, can I apply for a transit visa at AMM? Since Laudamotion/Ryanair has no connection to Saudia Airlines, I need to claim my luggage and check-in to Saudia Airlines desk.
My nationality is Indonesia (passport), but I am holding an Austrian Permanent Residence.

looking forward for your reply

Kind regards,
Andre
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Andre Aja
Hi Rami Tamimi and everybody,

I read some of your comments on a AMM thread, and believe you might provide me with answer.

Next month, I going to fly from Vienna to Amman by Laudamotion/Ryanair, ETA 17:00PM. I have an onward flight the same day ETD 22:15 Saudia Airlines AMM to CGK (via Jeddah). My question is, can I apply for a transit visa at AMM? Since Laudamotion/Ryanair has no connection to Saudia Airlines, I need to claim my luggage and check-in to Saudia Airlines desk.
My nationality is Indonesia (passport), but I am holding an Austrian Permanent Residence.

looking forward for your reply

Kind regards,
Andre
I am not the expert, just a random stranger on the internet, but it seems that you can get a single entry Visa on Arrival for JOD40, if you have a return flight a double entry VOA at JOD60 might be better value.

Visas To Jordan

However, with these things the advise has to be contact an embassy if you have any doubt.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:52 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this thread would be a better fit for our Middle East forum, I'll move this there. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
I've read through the information here.

It seems from the info provided by Ditto that you can get a transit without visa for 48hours.

Would this apply to Filipinos (who otherwise need a visa)?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 3:11 pm

Does this mean you can enter Amman for a night or two and then continue on without paying for a visa?
Old Dec 25, 2023, 6:58 am

I would like to do a direct turnaround on Austrian Airlines. 1. Question: Are mobile boarding passes allowed. and 2. if not, is there a possibility to get it printed out at the transit desk?
Old Feb 3, 2024, 5:23 am

Programs: Alaska
many online said you will have to pay to leave the airport even with layover of a few hours.

Based on above posts, it seems that transit visa does exist.

May I know what special words to mention to the passport control to get a transit visa? With onward ticket?

Many Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.