Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to get from TLV to downtown Tel Aviv (either Sheraton, Hilton or Ren)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest way to get from TLV to downtown Tel Aviv (either Sheraton, Hilton or Ren)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 6:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm planning to do a quick trip to Tel Aviv. I'll be by myself so hoping to not spend a lot of money. I've been googling, and I still can't figure out if there's a difference between the train or the bus, and how either of them work. Any help appreciated! Thanks.
Old May 29, 2016, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Check Google Maps.

You're best bet is taking the train to Tel Aviv and bus from there. However, which station in Tel Aviv and which bus would depend on time of day. Your best bet is get the app Moovit and check real time arrivals for the bus (204 from Tel Aviv Hagana or 239 from Tel Aviv Hashalom).

Train costs NIS 13.50 and bus is additional NIS 5.90. However, if you have a Rav-Kav, you can get an unlimited daily pass for NIS 21.50 that will cover the train and bus and any other travel that day in Tel Aviv and extended areas
Old May 29, 2016, 8:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Check Google Maps.

You're best bet is taking the train to Tel Aviv and bus from there. However, which station in Tel Aviv and which bus would depend on time of day. Your best bet is get the app Moovit and check real time arrivals for the bus (204 from Tel Aviv Hagana or 239 from Tel Aviv Hashalom).

Train costs NIS 13.50 and bus is additional NIS 5.90. However, if you have a Rav-Kav, you can get an unlimited daily pass for NIS 21.50 that will cover the train and bus and any other travel that day in Tel Aviv and extended areas
thank you. i have been using google maps and it looks to me like it says to take 2 buses. i can't tell if it's a bus or a train to be honest (maybe i just don't know how to read it!). i will download the app Moovit, thanks for the tip.

what is a rav-kav? that sounds like a good deal.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it has a line number, it's a bus, though few buses go to TLV's Terminal 3. Most go to EL AL Junction or Airport City where you switch to the 5 shuttle bus, indicating it's likely the train.

Rav-Kav is the smart card for public transportation. It's accepted by all companies and there's fare integration within zones.

You can get a personalized one or an anonymous one, but pretty sure you can only get anonymous at certain train stations (NOT the airport) as well as from any bus driver. Also pretty sure the anonymous one costs 5 shekel.
Old May 29, 2016, 8:03 pm

Yes, the anonymous one is 5 shekel. AND yes, you can theoretically get one from any bus driver but I"ve heard that reality and theory aren't always the same.
Old May 29, 2016, 9:54 pm

Do NOT take the bus from the airport. As noted above the bus does not enter the airport and you have to take the airport shuttle to El Al Junction. Then you have a slow bus ride that probably ends at the not-so-nice CBS. Take the train to Savidor Center and then take the #10 bus that goes south on Ben Yehuda parallel to the beach.

If you arrive between Friday afternoon and Saturday evening you will have to take a taxi.
Old May 29, 2016, 11:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbgg
Do NOT take the bus from the airport. As noted above the bus does not enter the airport and you have to take the airport shuttle to El Al Junction. Then you have a slow bus ride that probably ends at the not-so-nice CBS. Take the train to Savidor Center and then take the #10 bus that goes south on Ben Yehuda parallel to the beach.

If you arrive between Friday afternoon and Saturday evening you will have to take a taxi.
i'll be arriving friday at 3pm, so sounds like the train will not be running? so my only option is a taxi? was hoping to save money...are there other options?
Old May 30, 2016, 12:03 am

Currently the last train on Friday is at 16:36 so you shouldn't have a problem. It usually takes about an hour to clear Immigration and retrieve your luggage and the train station is underneath the airport terminal. You can check the train schedules at www.rail.co.il/EN/Pages/Homepage.aspx
The last #10 bus leaves the Savidor station at 17:40 so there will be no problem there if you catch the train.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

ok, flight gets in at 1;20pm on friday and staying at the Renaissance. i'm looking in google maps now, and there are 3 options it looks like.

1) take a Mode'ein
2) tae Tel Aviv Center
3) take Be'er

I'm a little confused on what's the difference. I assume they are all trains and they all suggest getting off at Tel Aviv HaHagana then taking a bus.

If I just go under the airport terminal to the train station, how do i know which train to take?

Also, can i buy my train and bus ticket at the airport or do i have to do it separately?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All the same - the difference is simply which line of the train.

All trains at TLV head to Tel Aviv (or come from there).

Any train heading north works (this isn't an exhaustive list, but: Nahariya, Akko/Acre, Binhamina, Haifa). There are 2 tracks with a central platform. I forget which number you need, but if it lists any of those cities, that works. DON'T USE THE TRAINS TO MODIIN!

If you're unsure, you can ask anyone which train goes to Tel Aviv.

Tel Aviv Hagana is 1 stop away, about 10-12 minutes. Exit the station and cross the street for the 204.

As for purchasing tickets, unfortunately, unless you have a Rav-Kav (smart card for public transportation in Israel), there's no way of buying a ticket in advance or of any type of coordination for tickets.

If you don't have 1, there are automated kiosks right outside the train station as well as a manned ticket booth to buy the train ticket. You must hold onto you ticket until exiting as you'll need it to open the fare gates upon exit in Tel Aviv.

You can use cash (ILS only) or credit card, and this is about 11 shekel.

For the bus, you'll need to pay on the bus directly to the driver in cash only. You don't need exact change and the fare is NIS 5.90.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

All the same - the difference is simply which line of the train.

All trains at TLV head to Tel Aviv (or come from there).

Any train heading north works (this isn't an exhaustive list, but: Nahariya, Akko/Acre, Binhamina, Haifa). There are 2 tracks with a central platform. I forget which number you need, but if it lists any of those cities, that works. DON'T USE THE TRAINS TO MODIIN!

If you're unsure, you can ask anyone which train goes to Tel Aviv.

Tel Aviv Hagana is 1 stop away, about 10-12 minutes. Exit the station and cross the street for the 204.

As for purchasing tickets, unfortunately, unless you have a Rav-Kav (smart card for public transportation in Israel), there's no way of buying a ticket in advance or of any type of coordination for tickets.

If you don't have 1, there are automated kiosks right outside the train station as well as a manned ticket booth to buy the train ticket. You must hold onto you ticket until exiting as you'll need it to open the fare gates upon exit in Tel Aviv.

You can use cash (ILS only) or credit card, and this is about 11 shekel.

For the bus, you'll need to pay on the bus directly to the driver in cash only. You don't need exact change and the fare is NIS 5.90.
omg, thank you. fantastic explanation and i finally feel confident i will make it. i travel a ton but public transportation in a foreign city still gets me nervous
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you'll be in Israel for a bit and will be doing some public transportation, it may be worth getting a Rav-Kav. You'll need your passport and potentially a secondary ID. You can get one in person in Tel Aviv (a number of areas) as well as via mail (have them mail it to your hotel).

With a Rav-Kav, you can fill it up with money and it gives you a bonus. You can then use that money across all public transportation options throughout Israel (with the exception of the light rail in Jerusalem run by CityPass - though they'll be joining in a few months).

It's also cheaper (besides getting that extra money) because you can get transfer tickets (free transfers within 90 minutes within metro zones) and can buy unlimited daily/weekly/monthly passes for different metro zones. If you won't be using public transportation enough during your trip, not worth the hassle (though the card is free)
Old Jul 11, 2016, 6:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

If you'll be in Israel for a bit and will be doing some public transportation, it may be worth getting a Rav-Kav. You'll need your passport and potentially a secondary ID. You can get one in person in Tel Aviv (a number of areas) as well as via mail (have them mail it to your hotel).

With a Rav-Kav, you can fill it up with money and it gives you a bonus. You can then use that money across all public transportation options throughout Israel (with the exception of the light rail in Jerusalem run by CityPass - though they'll be joining in a few months).

It's also cheaper (besides getting that extra money) because you can get transfer tickets (free transfers within 90 minutes within metro zones) and can buy unlimited daily/weekly/monthly passes for different metro zones. If you won't be using public transportation enough during your trip, not worth the hassle (though the card is free)
thx. only there for 2 days so if i can find one easily i'll get it but if not, probably too much trouble.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:22 pm

There is only one line that stops at the airport. Take the trains in the direction of Nahariya/Haifa/Tel-Aviv and NOT to Modi'in. Look at the Israel Railways website for schedules and fares.

I also suggest that you take the train to Savidor Center station, then take the #10 bus to the stop closest to your hotel (or take a taxi if you don't want to deal with buses after a long flight. Tell the driver to use the meter!)
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:28 am

Although I've visited Israel numerous times, I usually rented a car, so I never really needed a rav kav card after they became commonplace.

But two weeks ago, I stayed a week in Tel Aviv, and I decided to use public transportation and looked for information about the rav kav card in this thread and other places on the Internet. But I found that there's not really any updated information on the rav kav card on Flyertalk at all, which surprised me.

So, for anybody searching Flyertalk for information on the rav kav, here's some information for you:

There's now (June 2018) a desk in the arrivals hall of Ben Gurion Airport where you can get a rav kav card. Just head for 1 o'clock when exiting from customs. The desk was open when I got there at 04:00AM. I got an anonymous rav kav for 5 shekels and charged it immediately with a ticket valid for 7 days for 94 shekels. That includes unlimited travel within Tel Aviv and suburbs as far away as Rehovot, Herzliya, Kfar Saba and the Ben Gurion airport. So, for that amount I could go as much as I pleased with the trains, Dan buses, and Egged buses all over the city and its suburbs, including round-trip from/to the airport. It was a really good value.
TWA884 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.