Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Desert Excursion - Abu Dhabi Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K

We have a 23 hour layover in AUH next May on our trip from MLE to BNE. We arrive AUH at around 11:00pm and have a flight out at 10:00pm the next evening. We are thinking of doing a day excursion out to the Liwa Oasis using Hala Abu Dhabi (looks like they are an arm of Etihad). Has anyone used them - or can recommend another provider? We have a room booked at the Crowne Plaza Yas Island (using my IHG MastrCard Card Free Night Cert) so getting to the airport after the tour should be a breeze.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:31 am

The Liwa "oasis" is not particularly oasis-like. If you look on google earth you will see that it is a long, ribbon development of farms and villages. If you want to walk amongst palm trees, it is much better to go to Al Ain and walk through the large oasis which is pretty much in the town centre. You can visit the oasis and go up Jebel Hafit, and its only 90 mins from Abu Dhabi as opposed to 2 to 3 hours.
And just book a hire car. It's easy to get to Al Ain
Plus the Sheikh Zayed Desert Learning Centre should be open by then. It looks like it is going to be spectacular, and very well managed.

Last edited by muscat; Oct 5, 2015 at 11:44 am Reason: Addition
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: EY Platinum
I agree with muscat - for an oasis feel, Al Ain is a better proposition and in fact there are 4-5 separate oases. If you're there at the right time, you can walk through the date plantations as they open the sluice gates and hear/see the water running through the falaj.

And the view from the top of Jebel Hafeet is cracking, particularly at sunset.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.