Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cairo Airport Transit from T1(Int'l) to T3(Int'l)

Cairo Airport Transit from T1(Int'l) to T3(Int'l)

Old Jul 23, 18, 3:36 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: MUC
Programs: A3 *Gold, AA Plat, AB Plat, Hilton Dia
Posts: 272
Cairo Airport Transit from T3(Int'l) to T1(Int'l)

I am scheduled to take a flight from T1 at 6pm and I am now looking at a flight LH 582 scheduled to land at 2:15pm (however it is often late by 30-40min) and I wonder whether I would have enough time to make the 6pm from T1 with transfer, with or without getting a visa etc.

Anybody who has recently gone through CAI airport between T3 and T1?

I haven't found any official website with information about it.
johnnywho is offline  
Old Jul 23, 18, 3:47 pm
  #17  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,241
Originally Posted by johnnywho View Post
Cairo Airport Transit from T3(Int'l) to T1(Int'l)

I am scheduled to take a flight from T1 at 6pm and I am now looking at a flight LH 582 scheduled to land at 2:15pm (however it is often late by 30-40min) and I wonder whether I would have enough time to make the 6pm from T1 with transfer, with or without getting a visa etc.

Anybody who has recently gone through CAI airport between T3 and T1?

I haven't found any official website with information about it.
Transfers between Cairo terminals are ether airside or landside.

Airside transfers are where you do not need to collect luggage, and are quite simple. Go to the transit desk and show them your boarding card, check-in acknowledgment or itinerary. They will tell you to wait until transport is available. You will be driven over the apron to your next terminal. If you dont have a full boarding card, the immigration officer will take your documents and you'll have to wait in a special area until your airline sends through the boarding card. At which time you should get a transit stamp in your passport, then you'll be released into the airside section of your new terminal.

Landside transfers are a tad more troublesome because they mean entering Egypt. You'll do them if you have bags and are unable to through check them. You'll need to have an electronic visa or buy a visa sticker for the equivalent of $25 from the banks close to the immIgration desks. Then you'll queue for immigration. Bags get through quite quickly. Grab yours, go through customs and make your way to the next terminal, where you'll go through check-in etc.
johnnywho likes this.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jul 24, 18, 3:25 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: MUC
Programs: A3 *Gold, AA Plat, AB Plat, Hilton Dia
Posts: 272
Thanks a lot for the detailed info IAN-UK.
Since you didn't say anything about how long a transfer takes, I just assume it could be done within the timeframe I mentioned.
johnnywho is offline  
Old Jul 24, 18, 10:47 am
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,241
Originally Posted by johnnywho View Post
Thanks a lot for the detailed info IAN-UK.
Since you didn't say anything about how long a transfer takes, I just assume it could be done within the timeframe I mentioned.
The timeframe looks fine, though you need to get a move on The trouble of course, is if there is a delay of some sort.... If you'd have to collect luggage anyway (and buy a visa) staying overnight isn't such a crazy idea
johnnywho likes this.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Aug 1, 18, 2:31 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: MUC
Programs: A3 *Gold, AA Plat, AB Plat, Hilton Dia
Posts: 272
Thanks again for the detailed info.
My flight to CAI was delayed by almost an hour - apparently not unusual for LH 582 from FRA.
I walked of the plane until I got to a counter where it said transfering passengers. It was mostly meant for passengers of Egypt Air and/or *A passengers but I asked a guy and he said it would be possible and he would organize it.
He told me to wait quite a few times until some old dude showed up who eventually drove me across the airport to the other terminal. However, I had to wait until he drove some other passengers elsewhere.
The old guy spoke only a few words of English, but the knew the word tip. So upon arriving at the other terminal I a gave him some money.
All in all it took at least an hour. I guess I could have asked them to hurry up, but I am not sure that this would really speed things up in Egypt.

The security control right at the gate at the old terminal was a total joke, but that's a story for another day.
johnnywho is offline  
Old Aug 1, 18, 10:26 pm
  #21  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,241
Originally Posted by johnnywho View Post
Thanks again for the detailed info.
My flight to CAI was delayed by almost an hour - apparently not unusual for LH 582 from FRA.
I walked of the plane until I got to a counter where it said transfering passengers. It was mostly meant for passengers of Egypt Air and/or *A passengers but I asked a guy and he said it would be possible and he would organize it.
He told me to wait quite a few times until some old dude showed up who eventually drove me across the airport to the other terminal. However, I had to wait until he drove some other passengers elsewhere.
The old guy spoke only a few words of English, but the knew the word tip. So upon arriving at the other terminal I a gave him some money.
All in all it took at least an hour. I guess I could have asked them to hurry up, but I am not sure that this would really speed things up in Egypt.

The security control right at the gate at the old terminal was a total joke, but that's a story for another day.
Pleased it all worked out. Like lots in Egypt, things do work out in the end - despite a general air of chaos/confusion/indifference.

Just a point though - transfer desk man was doing his job, not doing you a favour: and sorry you felt obliged to reinforce the driver's bad habit of asking for tips (he's employed). Though I remember shuttle bus drivers at some US airports keep "tip jars" labelled and in prominent positions - so while it's a habit not often seen in Europe, it's not one confined to Egypt!
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Aug 2, 18, 8:45 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: MUC
Programs: A3 *Gold, AA Plat, AB Plat, Hilton Dia
Posts: 272
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Pleased it all worked out. Like lots in Egypt, things do work out in the end - despite a general air of chaos/confusion/indifference.
That might be true, but the security check at the gate really worried me.
I was in Sharm a few years ago, about two weeks before ISIS brought down the Russian aircraft (Metrojet 9268).
Later I heard that the security checks at Egyptian airports had been tightened as a result of the bombing. Well, maybe that was too long ago, because never in my life have I experienced a more ridiculous and useless security check. It was absolutely scary to say the least.
johnnywho is offline  
Old Aug 2, 18, 9:56 am
  #23  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 13,241
airport security was tightened, as it has been everywhere in Egypt. And at the airport it is monitored by outside agencies. I havent been through T1 for years, to be honest I thought it was defunct. Certainly in T3 security at the gate can be, well, robust - there are often long lines.

Im told a large part of the airport's security effort is targetted (whatever that means) and much is intelligence led. So I suppose what we see is more reassuring theatre (or not so reassuring theatre in your case!)
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Aug 5, 18, 12:45 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: HFA
Posts: 1,569
A little off-topic, but here's my experience transiting from T2 (arriving on EK) to T2 (departing on RJ) last week. Arrived at a gate and walked to the transit desk. Was asked to give my boarding card for the next flight and my passport, and to sit and wait. About 5 minutes later, an agent was escorting some other passenger elsewhere and signaled me to join them. We walked for two minutes and then he pointed out to the security lines and sent me there. Passed security and found myself at the departure area. The whole thing took less than 10 minutes.

Shuly
shuly is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: