FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Middle East (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east-481/)
-   -   Oman Car Rental - GMC Yukon Question (and day trip to Wadi Shab) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east/1682996-oman-car-rental-gmc-yukon-question-day-trip-wadi-shab.html)

ferg01 May 27, 2015 4:40 am

Oman Car Rental - GMC Yukon Question (and day trip to Wadi Shab)

Hi All,

Please excuse my ignorance here but I've never been to Oman and am looking for some advice. I am thinking of renting a large SUV (Listed as a GMC Yukon or similar on the Europcar website). My question is, in Oman would a car like this be a little too conspicuous and over the top? As a personal preference, I like big SUVs but not if it's going to stand out too much and potentially cause headaches from a personal security point of view? I also have an option of the Ford Explorer. Apologies if this sounds silly to someone with some local experience but thought I should just double check in advance.

Also, I believe day trips to Wadi Shab is doable from Muscat. Would you advise me to drive it myself or get a driver?

Thanks in advance.

rivlinm May 27, 2015 6:43 am

I drove in a sedan in February. Was very easy, excluding the lack of advanced and accurate maps. Google doesn't do turn by turn.

As for your car choice I don't feel it would really stand out all that much. Parking was generally easy and free everywhere. On the corniche and in mutra may be the exception.

I would certainly suggest driving to wadi shab. Easy to find and great roads. Just keep an eye out for the regularly placed radar cameras.

muscat May 27, 2015 12:51 pm

Yes, it will be conspicuous because nobody drives GMC. To blend in, you need to drive Porsche Cayenne Turbo or GTS, or Toyota/Lexus Landcruiser.
Wadi Shab is two hours max down the motorway from Muscat, and can be done in any car.

stimpy May 28, 2015 1:08 am

Originally Posted by muscat (Post 24877348)
Yes, it will be conspicuous because nobody drives GMC. To blend in, you need to drive Porsche Cayenne Turbo or GTS, or Toyota/Lexus Landcruiser.
Wadi Shab is two hours max down the motorway from Muscat, and can be done in any car.

I agree. You see way, way more Landcruisers than anything from GM. Note however that even though the website says Yukon, they might give you a Landcruiser anyways. If its important to you, give the rental facility in Oman a call during their business day and ask. I recall that Avis has Landcruisers BTW.

ferg01 Aug 11, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi All,

Apologies for the delayed update but I had an interesting experience with Europcar. They brought me a Landcruiser as ordered but it was about 5 or 6 years old, in poor overall condition and worn tires. I was very unimpressed so they brought me another. The second car was also in poor condition so they brought me a third. None of the electrics worked in the third Landcruiser!! Realising I was pushing my luck at this stage, I pretty much begged the (very patient) guy to bring me a decent car in good order. They put me into the car and took me to the garage where they basically let me choose whatever was there...so I ended up with a Yukon and had no issues like I initially worried about. I spent four days driving blissfully around this amazing country and Europcar assured my future custom with their (eventually) excellent customer service.