Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber in Dubai?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Uber in Dubai?

I'm planning a family vacation in Dubai from January 2-9.

In the past I rented cars and we drove ourselves everywhere.

This time I'm considering relying on Uber.

Does anybody have experience with Uber? If you're mainly moving between tourist areas (Malls, Jumeirah Beach hotels, water park, madinat, etc) how long is the wait for cars?
Old May 11, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
I think they are relatively new and won't have too many cars available. The app does let you see who is available for your planned trip and approximate timing.
Old May 11, 2015, 6:44 am

goingtodubai.com is a good virtual guide.I am also refer this virtual guide.I think this may help you.

Last edited by Debbiesam; May 11, 2015 at 6:57 am
Old May 11, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: mileage plus
Smile I used Uber in Dubai January 2015

I used uber when I was in Dubai January 2015. He had a late model SUV. I like UberX and he said I didn't order XL. Driver told me he was signed up with a couple of services like Uber. He got there quickly and I had put my destination in so I could see GPS. I didn't add the roaming option to my cell phone, but all you have to do is ask practically anyone where there is wifi. I looked up places I wanted to go with wifi then plugged them into the destination addy. Taxis acted like they didn't know what I was talking about, even when I pointed to my hotel out the window. Stayed at JW Marriott Marquis on Sheik Zahed Road. Anticipating this kind of reception because I was coming from Istanbul, I did a screen shot of the hotel on my phone, had the name and the phone number handy. After I got to the hotel, I got a business card to show cab drivers. But I mostly took Uber and public transportation.
Old May 16, 2015, 10:24 am

Uber is actually a premium service (both in terms of price and quality) compared to the local cabs. Sharp contrast with London where it is half of the price for a black cab.

I have generally found them without too much of a wait, and 95% of the drivers are extremely polite and actually know where they are going (which is not always a given in the region).
Old May 16, 2015, 11:07 am

I'm here now. Uber are great and as others have said the drivers seem to be more 'sensible' than the standard taxi's (with whom you actually risk your life, some of them are downright dangerous.)

Another to try is careem (the ME equiv to uber.) they are fab too, and they have a referral scheme thatll get you 30aed off too.

http://careem.com/dubai/signup/C7LSE0DKMP
Old May 22, 2015, 1:08 pm

Uber and Careem are the best option to get around Dubai for tourists. Parking has become more and more of a nightmare lately and the Metro is only useful for the SZR corridor.

Always go for UberX - the same drivers usually offer themselves for Uber Black and UberX (all UberX are licensed public hire vehicles in Dubai), so you can get the same car for a lower price.

Careem is great for advance bookings - no need to worry about Uber availability for airport runs or other scheduled events. Careem "NOW" option though is more expensive than Uber.
Old May 22, 2015, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Always go for UberX - the same drivers usually offer themselves for Uber Black and UberX (all UberX are licensed public hire vehicles in Dubai), so you can get the same car for a lower price.
Only the Lexus (which are many, but far from the majority of the UberX pool) can offer themselves as both Black and UberX - the Previas and other non-luxury vehicles can only offer themselves as UberX

PS. Promo Code dxbfreelove is giving 20% off UberX rides - see http://blog.uber.com/dxbsummerlove
Old May 23, 2015, 12:31 am
Original Poster

thank you to everybody for your advice... I've decided not to rent a car and to use only Uber.
Old May 23, 2015, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by lewinr
thank you to everybody for your advice... I've decided not to rent a car and to use only Uber.
Why pay a premium to use uber when there are thousands of ordinary taxis?
Old May 24, 2015, 4:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by muscat
Why pay a premium to use uber when there are thousands of ordinary taxis?
What is the average price of taxi in dollars for )15 minute ride?
Old May 24, 2015, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by rstidolph
What is the average price of taxi in dollars for )15 minute ride?
15 mins within Dubai will run you AED 30-35 which is $8-$10.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by B747-437B
15 mins within Dubai will run you AED 30-35 which is $8-$10.
Are all taxis metered? Any ones to avoid?

Thanks for your reply
Old May 25, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; former GS
Originally Posted by rstidolph
Are all taxis metered? Any ones to avoid?

Thanks for your reply
My experiences in 15+ trips to Dubai are that the taxis are metered, cheap, new, clean, and driven by knowelgeable drivers. Just get a tan one; there are others (usually black) that are "private taxis" that are a bit nicer cars but charge double.

I will sometimes use the metro if I'm going down SZR, but the taxis are cheap enough that the savings are not usually worth it. The airport has a taxi surcharge (from the airport, not to the airport) so I will also sometimes take the metro from the airport to my hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.