Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Immigration at TLV

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:12 am

I had Yemen, Afghanistan, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE stamps etc. in my passport when I entered Israel. This was at Allenby bridge, not TLV though. Had to wait 20 minutes before a quick 5 minute interview. Then got my visa and was on my way.

They will ask you if you are travelling to the West Bank though, which might extend the questioning a bit.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:01 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Contrary to what a few others post ad nauseam on FT, your experience is out of the ordinary.
There are dozens and dozens of news articles in both the Israeli and world media about the experiences of "flying while Arab" and suspected Arab sympathizers at the Tel Aviv airport.

Many prominent Israeli Arabs have been harassed, including Hebrew University professors, a foreign service officer and children of Knesset members and Supreme Court Justices. Yet, you know better.

I waited maybe 3 times in my entire life more than 10 minutes on the line as a whole...
The experience of a pale complected, Hebrew speaking, kippah wearing, orthodox Jewish IDF reserve officer - all based on your posting history - is irrelevant to the OP's situation.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by TWA884
There are dozens and dozens of news articles in both the Israeli and world media about the experiences of "flying while Arab" and suspected Arab sympathizers at the Tel Aviv airport.
There are dozens, sure. That doesn't make that anywhere close to the norm. Just because people who have horror stories post online and people who have everything happen normally don't, doesn't make it a rule. There are also dozens of stories of NYPD cops murdering innocent bystanders. That doesn't make that anywhere close to the norm

Many prominent Israeli Arabs have been harassed, including Hebrew University professors, a foreign service officer and children of Knesset members and Supreme Court Justices. Yet, you know better.
As have Jews for a variety of reasons. And people have been harassed in Turkey, the EU, and the USA

The experience of a pale complected, Hebrew speaking, kippah wearing, orthodox Jewish IDF reserve officer - all based on your posting history - is irrelevant to the OP's situation.
I wouldn't refer to myself as pale
Regardless, it is absolutely relevant if you read what I posted. Whether I wear a kippa or a keffiyeh; whether I'm Jewish, Christian of Muslim; whether I did IDF or IS - none of that has any bearing on how long I wait in line to see someone. That would only have bearing on how long it takes to process me personally. Which is why I specifically said "I waited <snip> on the line" and not "dealt with an officer."

Meaning, all the people in front of me are not taking forever to be processed. Even Arabs. Even people with "suspect" stamps.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:28 am

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I suppose my experience was out of the ordinary, as we were the only non-muslim, non-arab passengers pulled out of line. As soon as the young lady checking passports spotted the no-no stamps, she dropped her smile and pointed to the penalty box, where we were harassed for several hours. Incidentally, once admitted, we loved the country, especially Jerusalem.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:39 am

The OP has not told us anything about himself, only about his passport stamps. Judging from his "posting history", he is a well-traveled American, and as other people here (and many on on other forums) have pointed out, these passport stamps are not a reason to bar entry. It is YOU that are making assumptions about ethnicity, colour and/or religion.

BTW, if you look through his posts you will see how he was once treated when returning to America:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post23320498

I look forward to seeing your derogatory and bigoted comments about Americans .....
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:03 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mbgg
The OP has not told us anything about himself, only about his passport stamps. Judging from his "posting history", he is a well-traveled American, and as other people here (and many on on other forums) have pointed out, these passport stamps are not a reason to bar entry. It is YOU that are making assumptions about ethnicity, colour and/or religion.
First of all, I made no assumptions of the OP's ethnicity, complexion or religion. I just pointed out that pale complected, Hebrew speaking orthodox Jews are not likely to be singled out for harassment as Arabs, Muslims or those who traveled to countries associated with terrorism.

Secondly, the OP's signature has a link to his blog. I perused it before posting.

BTW, if you look through his posts you will see how he was once treated when returning to America:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post23320498

I look forward to seeing your derogatory and bigoted comments about Americans .....
The travel pattern described in that post is consistent with smuggling, which explains the Customs and Border Protection officers actions.

Meaning, all the people in front of me are not taking forever to be processed.
That's because the usual suspects are pulled out of line and processed elsewhere.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 10, 2014 at 11:09 am
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:28 pm

The travel pattern described in that post is consistent with smuggling, which explains the Customs and Border Protection officers actions.
Crossing the US-Canada border for a day visit ?? LOL. Obviously he was singled out for no apparent reason ... but that's different, of course. Do you have any statistics as to what percent of the 2.6 million tourists at TLV were pulled out of the line for more intense questioning ? If not, I suggest that you stop posting deliberate misinformation.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:08 pm

I was interrogated by a teenager for 30 minutes on the places I had visited (Turkey, Bali, Dubai, Oman, Malaysia…) to the point where the entire exchange became humorous: http://www.esmetravels.com/ben-gurion-airport/.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by mbgg
Do you have any statistics as to what percent of the 2.6 million tourists at TLV were pulled out of the line for more intense questioning ? If not, I suggest that you stop posting deliberate misinformation.
Unlike you, everything that I have posted is backed by news articles, not blog posts or my imagination.

Want some more? Here you go:
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:35 pm

OP, you haven't indicated your citizenship. If you are a US citizen, you might be well advised simply to get a second passport. See http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/94669.pdf
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:54 pm

A few more:
Stern security at Ben-Gurion Airport questioned
Aggressive questioning, long luggage examinations and strip searches are not uncommon at Israel’s national airport

Foreign Ministry Arab cadet humiliated at airport
Jubran, 26, the first Israeli Arab ever to complete a Foreign Ministry cadet training course, was asked by security personnel at the airports to prove that her Ministry employee documents were authentic and that her father was indeed a Supreme Court justice.

Arab teacher strip-searched before flying with her Jewish students
Shehadeh, a Christian Arab who was born in Safed and has taught tourism at a Jewish high school in Tirat Carmel for 19 years, was returning from a school trip to Eilat with her students.

As soon as she reached the security screening station, she was separated from her students and treated like an arch-terrorist.

At Ben-Gurion International Airport, before the flight to Eilat, she was singled out for special attention from security but not to the same extent as in Eilat for the return flight. Shehadeh relates that she flashed her teachers’ union membership card, the inspectors recognized that she was Arab but gave her a boarding pass without any problem — or so she thought. A few minutes later, she was called back to the screening station. Her purse and suitcase were emptied out, she was instructed to remove her shoes and her rings, and her cellphone was whisked away for inspection.

Nobody else on the flight was treated that way, she says.

<snip>

Shehadeh is not alone. Over the past few years, we have heard many accounts of Arab citizens of the State of Israel who undergo this kind of humiliation regularly.

Israel airport security demands access to tourists' private email accounts
Israel's Shin Bet security service has been demanding access to personal email accounts of visiting tourists with Arab names, according to the testimony of three U.S. citizens who were interrogated at Ben Gurion Airport and subsequently refused entry into Israel in May.

<snip>

The first part of the interrogation began with questions like: "Do you feel more Arab or more American?" (to which the interrogator supplied her own answer: "Surely you must feel a little more Arab."), "Will you go to Al-Aqsa?” and "Why are you coming now for the third time? You can go to Venezuela, to Mexico, to Canada. It is much closer to New York, and much less expensive!”

<snip>

Then, according to Doughman, her interrogator said, "Okay, we are going to do something very interesting now!” As Doughman describes it, the harsh stare on the security woman's face gave way to a slight smirk. She typed
www.gmail.com on her computer, turned the keyboard toward Doughman and demanded that she log in to her personal email account.

Doughman said she that, while she was taken aback, it did not occur to her to refuse, despite the fact that this was clearly not a reasonable request.

After some five hours of questioning, Doughman and her friend were forced to wait another three hours, after which they were told that they would be refused entry into Israel. Accompanied by a heavy cadre of security people, they were led to another part of Ben Gurion Airport, where they were photographed and their bags were searched meticulously down to the smallest objects.

Their computers and iPads were passed, twice, through an explosives-detection machine. Then they were given body searches behind a curtain.

<snip>

A third American citizen, who preferred that her name not be published, was also refused entry in May after refusing to allow airport security personnel to access her personal email account. She was also told that she must have something to hide.

A similar case was reported in October of 2011.

Sidelined lawmaker watches Arabs, Jews drift apart
While many of Israel's Arabs remain estranged from the state, Hilou's life has been dedicated to changing the system from within. She was born in the coastal town Jaffa, just south of Tel Aviv, in 1953, five years after most of its Arab population fled or was expelled in the fighting that surrounded Israel's creation.

She earned two degrees at Israeli universities, held a string of influential positions in government offices and women's organizations, and eventually joined the once-dominant but fading Labor Party.

<snip>

Hilou has had many opportunities, she said, but she and her family still face the humiliations of Arab life in Israel.

Her twin daughters, she said, were recently "treated like terrorists" at Israel's international airport, and her son-in-law saw an engineering job opening mysteriously disappear when the potential employer saw the Arab name on his CV.

Arab Labor MK says airport security 'humiliated' her children
In her letter, Hilou said she intends to complain about how the airport's security officers treated her twin daughters last Sunday when they flew for a holiday in Prague. The two women - both studying for their master's degrees - were taken aside where their luggage was thoroughly frisked in plain sight of other passengers, Hilou said.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 10, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:47 pm

Unlike you, everything that I have posted is backed by news articles, not blog posts or my imagination.
None of your links refer to a case of typical tourist with certain passport stamps, i.e. the question posed by the OP. You also cannot prove that the percentage of people interrogated at TLV is greater than the percentage interrogated entering the US - for which there are endless reports on the web. So do you warn tourists planning to visit the US ? Why do you assume that the OP was not racially profiled when he returned to the US at Detroit ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/us...anted=all&_r=0

https://www.aclu.org/racial-justice/...ng-while-black

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...d196_blog.html

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2009/04/22/71197.html

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44334738/n.../#.U-hYxfmSwqg

Sexual profiling:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/clay-ni...b_3112638.html

and in Britain:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...a-2084743.html

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ritish-airport

http://schedule7stories.com/

Last edited by mbgg; Aug 11, 2014 at 12:24 am
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
First of all, I made no assumptions of the OP's ethnicity, complexion or religion. I just pointed out that pale complected, Hebrew speaking orthodox Jews are not likely to be singled out for harassment as Arabs, Muslims or those who traveled to countries associated with terrorism.
Just want to point out that nowhere have I ever indicated that I am either pale or Orthodox.

Don't often do day trips to Canada, do you? When we were staying in upstate NY, we were traveling to Canada every single day for about a week, and then back to our hotel. Now I'm sure our whole group was treated lightly just because I am pale, Orthodox, speak Hebrew, and did (not yet at the time) the IDF. Thanks to all that, USCBP gave us no problem, even though it was like "smugglers." Contrast this with the horrible treatment we got at the border when I was with my wife, and both of us have Global Entry.

If I were to contact a news reporters, it would be about the latter and not the former. Yet that would hardly indicate a trend of any sort

That's because the usual suspects are pulled out of line and processed elsewhere.
Not quite. When I'm watching people in passport control, I have actually yet to see someone pulled from the line except 1 instance, in which someone I had met in the lounge before the flight was pulled. He seemed Arab (American, not Israeli,) but no clue for sure. Never asked him. Though I did ask why he was pulled from the line when we caught up outside. His company ordered a service and was meeting him.

Originally Posted by esmetravels
I was interrogated by a teenager for 30 minutes on the places I had visited (Turkey, Bali, Dubai, Oman, Malaysia…) to the point where the entire exchange became humorous: http://www.esmetravels.com/ben-gurion-airport/.
I'm going to go out on a strong limb here and say that you have never been interrogated by a teenager in TLV.

Want some more? Here you go:
Posting multiple articles doesn't even come close to indicating a statistical trend, because people who have bad experiences invariably write about them and then exaggerate them. To make the claims you do, you'd need actual numbers. Which is exactly why my experiences are more important because they indicate visual comparison of how many are pulled or rejected entry versus not.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:27 am

Just want to point out that nowhere have I ever indicated that I am either pale or Orthodox.
I recommend that you review your hundreds of posts in the Religious Travelers Forum. It is quite obvious that you are Orthodox. Since, based on the same postings, it would appear that you are Ashkenazi and not Mizrachi, it is safe to assume that you are not olive or dark complected.

Posting multiple articles doesn't even come close to indicating a statistical trend, because people who have bad experiences invariably write about them and then exaggerate them. To make the claims you do, you'd need actual numbers. Which is exactly why my experiences are more important because they indicate visual comparison of how many are pulled or rejected entry versus not.
Keep being in denial. You remind me of the judge in Nazareth who dismissed an airport discrimination lawsuit by holding that individual incidents are insufficient basis to find that Israeli Arabs are indeed discriminated against during security inspections. She added she could not rely on newspaper articles as a basis for claims of discrimination and that the district court was not authorized to view materials pertaining to secret security protocols. That's one Catch 22 if I ever saw one. To add insult to injury, she assessed approximately $20,000 in court fees on each of the plaintiffs. (link)

Knesset Member Adi Kol, who chaired a Knesset Finance Committee meeting on the issue, got it right. MK Kol said that she found the responses by security officials “frustrating,” particularly their denial that there is a problem.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:47 pm

Keep being in denial.
Nobody is in denial. Nobody here claims that the stories in the links that you posted are not true; they were extensively covered in the Hebrew press. The question is whether they are isolated incidents or daily events that warrant the attention of the average tourist. You have provided no proof that they are widespread and anyone who follows the travel forums knows that there are infinitely more complaints about car rental than about immigration, and that exactly the same problem exists in the US, Britain, etc.

It is quite obvious that you are Orthodox.
And it is obvious what your "religion" is ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.