Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

14 hour layover in AUH-suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I have a 14 hour layover in AUH, 7pm-9am, coming up at the end of July on during a trip from KTM to JFK. I've already booked a hotel room for the night and was hoping for some suggestions for what to do while in Abu Dhabi during that evening.

Any tips on what to do/see would be most appreciated!
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
Depending on the date, you might be getting there at the best of times or worst of times. The Eid Holiday will fall around July 27 or so, and before that is the month of Ramadan.
Unfortunately, the main attractions (Ferrari, Yas, etc) will not likely be accessible at night, although the night hours during Ramadan are expanded. The corniche should be nice depending on the weather. The malls are ok. Seeing the grand mosque and the leaning tower are musts, as is riding the abra boats. Masdar city is an interesting visit if the hours permit.
You may want to check events going on from sources like Time Out Abu Dhabi and others to see what is on the night you are there. The July issue should come out the first week of the month.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by omarhaydar
Depending on the date, you might be getting there at the best of times or worst of times. The Eid Holiday will fall around July 27 or so, and before that is the month of Ramadan.
Unfortunately, the main attractions (Ferrari, Yas, etc) will not likely be accessible at night, although the night hours during Ramadan are expanded. The corniche should be nice depending on the weather. The malls are ok. Seeing the grand mosque and the leaning tower are musts, as is riding the abra boats. Masdar city is an interesting visit if the hours permit.
You may want to check events going on from sources like Time Out Abu Dhabi and others to see what is on the night you are there. The July issue should come out the first week of the month.
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll be there the 22/23, so just before Ramadan.

I was looking into visiting the grand mosque. As long as I get through customs and can check into my hotel pretty quickly, that looks like a viable option.

Typically when do the malls close? That could be a good second stop.

I'll be sure to check out Time Out Abu Dhabi in the coming week or so.

Cheers!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
Originally Posted by vw08
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll be there the 22/23, so just before Ramadan.

I was looking into visiting the grand mosque. As long as I get through customs and can check into my hotel pretty quickly, that looks like a viable option.

Typically when do the malls close? That could be a good second stop.

I'll be sure to check out Time Out Abu Dhabi in the coming week or so.

Cheers!
Just to clarify, Eid is after Ramadan and Eid will be around the 27th, so you will be there during Ramadan, which begins around the 28th of June and goes for a month.

Typically most businesses will cut some of the daylight hours and extend the evening hours. So if the mall typically closed at midnight, in Ramadan it may close at 2-4 AM. So you could potentially maximize your value for time with it being Ramadan, since you are there overnight. You may also want to hit up one of the Iftar Buffets at the restaurants, they are usually very nice. There are also late night buffets as well (here in Bahrain they call them Ghabqa)

Keep in mind cultural no-nos, don't eat/drink in public during the day (many restaurants will be closed during the day anyways in observance of Ramadan), and modest dress for women, especially if you want to visit the grand mosque. I am not sure if Abu Dhabi bans alcohol during Ramadan, but they do here in Bahrain.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks omarhaydar!!

I greatly appreciate your suggestions and clarification. I plan on maximizing my time in Abu Dhabi so hopefully I will be able to visit the mosque, a mall and still be able to get some sleep before the 15 hour flight to JFK!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.