Bringing Protein into Israel

Old Jan 1, 14, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Bringing Protein into Israel

I'm wanting to bring a 100+ protein bars (original packaging) and a few bags of protein powder (in ziplock bags) on the flight with me over from the US to Israel. Will I have any issue w customs at Natbag?

This thread makes it seem like it'll be fine from an immigration/security issue:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...in-powder.html
Old Jan 2, 14, 2:40 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
It's hard to say. I mean anytime oyu have a suitcase full of somewhat odd contents, i think you run a risk of needing to answer for it.

I'm wondering though, why not buy those products in Israel. It would cost more, mots likely -- yes. However, for a visit, the added cost may be worth it compared to the hassle of bringing it all with you.

The Eden-Teva stores have a good selection of both the powders and bars.
Old Jan 2, 14, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
I'm fine answering for it; it is what it is. The question is whether there's any customs duty I'd owe.

Why not buy them in Israel? 'Cuz I can get bars in the US for ~$1. Last time I was there, bars were like 20-22 shek. Is this Eden-Teva store cheaper?
Old Jan 2, 14, 5:24 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
So they certainly aren't $1 each, but looking at their web site, they have Zone brand for 10.xx shekels. Most of the other brands are 13 or 14 shekels.

Certainly not as cheap as the US, but maybe it's worth getting them in Israel or bringing just a starter supply with you and saving the luggage space and weight.

In THEORY, you could owe some duty taxes, but it's very doubtful that you would owe in actual practice. The import limit for food is 3kg as far as I'm aware.
Old Jan 7, 14, 2:03 am

Programs: Loyalty? I go where the points and status are!
if you have the receipts, it's under $200, then the only other issues I could think of would be agricultural and kashrut. Of course, what I think and what customs think are two very different issues. If you're really concerned just bring it through the red channel, they'll probably laugh at you and let you go.
Old Jan 14, 14, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by oziman View Post
if you have the receipts, it's under $200, then the only other issues I could think of would be agricultural and kashrut. Of course, what I think and what customs think are two very different issues. If you're really concerned just bring it through the red channel, they'll probably laugh at you and let you go.
Kashrut is a non-issue. Agricultural, I doubt it.

I have gone many many times through red zone with 2 or 3 bottles of spirit and they laugh me off every time.

Bring receipt and explain why this is for personal consumption.
Old Jan 15, 14, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by seaskybound View Post
Kashrut is a non-issue. Agricultural, I doubt it.

I have gone many many times through red zone with 2 or 3 bottles of spirit and they laugh me off every time.

Bring receipt and explain why this is for personal consumption.
Oh I know, but technically there are some kosher laws, no?
Old Jan 15, 14, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by oziman View Post
Oh I know, but technically there are some kosher laws, no?
The only law I'm aware of is against bringing non-kosher meat into Israel without a permit.
Old Jan 16, 14, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by orthar View Post
The only law I'm aware of is against bringing non-kosher meat into Israel without a permit.
Good to know, thanks.

Search this Thread