Wiki Posts
Search

10 Hours in Riyadh?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, 1MM
10 Hours in Riyadh?

Might be jumping a Saudia trip to MNL (IAD-RUH-MNL) on Monday which has a twelve hour (or so) layover. Wanted to know what I should do during that time.

Been doing a little online reading and looks like I'll need a visa from the embassy in order to leave the airport for the day. Anyone know if I can just go down to the embassy in Washington DC and have it processed?

Beyond that, any recommendations on things to do for the ten hours that I'll have available to me in RUH?

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Search "RUH transit" = this
And this
Also, and much more importantly, today is Thursday.
Tomorrow is Friday and the Muslim holy day: embassy closed. Embassy also closed on Saturday.
So there's no way you are going to get a visa before you want to depart.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Jan 2, 2014 at 6:21 am Reason: Added embassy details
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the links. Will review them.

And you're right. Tried calling the embassy in DC today thinking it might be possible to just drive there, but they're closed til Monday. Oh well, maybe push the trip a little or just sit in the lounge all day...
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:21 am
Original Poster

UAPrem -

Was just reviewing a potential itinerary and the layover will probably be about 6-7 hours total. That's probably enough time for me just to stay there and chill at the airport.

What I cannot seem to find information on is if I will need a visa of any sort (transit or otherwise) if I plan on staying in the airport. Tried calling Saudia DC offices but looks like they are on holiday as well.

Any insight into this?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
This depends very much on your nationality and the passport you hold. If you're US or European you will be good to transit RUH airport airside without any issue. You won't be able to pass immigration to enter the country though.

I wouldn't plan on being able to get a Saudi transit visa easily, even with lots of time. It has been known, but it's painfully slow process and subject to the whims of Saudi bureaucracy And as it can take hours to get through immigration it may not even be worth it for such a short transit.

As I've posted before, the departure lounge is reasonably civilised although a little boring. IIRC there's a cafe, multiple coffee outlets, wifi for purchase, ATMs, a small duty free area and a smoking room. Seats aren't particularly comfortable.

There have been reports of being able to buy into the SV lounge, but it's not clear whether this is still possible, or at what cost.

hth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.