Kurdistan Iraq

Old Dec 30, 13, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Kurdistan Iraq

Looking for something different and I am considering going to Kurdistan Iraq. The idea of an Iraqi stamp really intrigues me!

Is it safe nowadays? Is there what to see there for about 3 days? I want to see the local culture and perhaps a few scenic sights. Has anyone gone there for tourism purposes?

Will I stick out like a sore thumb as a Westerner or will the locals be glad to see me? Also trying to find a tourist agency if anyone knows one.

Thanks
Old Jan 4, 14, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
I've been looking into this as well. There is a wealth of info on ThornTree.
Old Jan 5, 14, 11:51 am
Moderator: Trip Reports

On my list too.

The tour companies I have seen are quite expensive, so I am inclined to just organise it myself.
Old Jan 5, 14, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Gonna take a look on Thorn Tree. The few companies I found were a fortune and not responsive to my emails so I think I will be organizing it myself as well.

Problem I have is my wife is not feeling the pull to go to Iraq (hard to blame her) and my friends need a bit convincing still. Second one of my friends says yes I will be ticketed
Old Jan 9, 14, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Silver, Morton's VIP, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by awardticket View Post
Gonna take a look on Thorn Tree. The few companies I found were a fortune and not responsive to my emails so I think I will be organizing it myself as well.

Problem I have is my wife is not feeling the pull to go to Iraq (hard to blame her) and my friends need a bit convincing still. Second one of my friends says yes I will be ticketed
I took am very intrigued by this idea!
Cheers
Howie
Old Jan 10, 14, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stockmanjr View Post
I took am very intrigued by this idea!
Cheers
Howie
You bet Howie. I bet there are not to many tourists there. The time is ripe.
Old Jan 17, 14, 9:06 pm

Hi,

Kurdistan-Iraq is safe to travel in general. Locals would like to see foreigners including westerners. So there is no problem. There are many westerners working there including international schools ,universities and companies

Search this Thread
Search Engine: