Wiki Posts
Search

Jordanian Visa Requirement

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Jordanian Visa Requirement

I am traveling from MXP to Amman, to Delhi. Two hour layover in Amman. No plans to exit the airport. I booked a return on BA flying RJ DEL-AMMAN-LHR, BA LHR to JFK. The BA and RJ website both make mention of needing a Jordanian visa, even if you are not staying there, but are just passing through for a plane change. It says it depends on your country of origin.

I know I'm going to be in India for four weeks, and have applied for a visa there, but I don't know if I have to apply for a Jordanian visa for my layover there, neither of which, coming or going, involve me leaving the airport. The BA website says that people from some countries need a visa even if they are just making a connecting flight.

On my flight MXP-AMMAN-DEL, on the RJ website, I used my Italian passport.
On the return, DEL-AMMAN-LHR-JFK, I listed my American passport. Since country of origin seems to determine visa requirements, I hope being Italian inbound and American outbound, is not a problem.

I've applied for the Indian visa. My question is, based on my dual italian and USA citizenship, do I need a jordanian visa to change planes there?

Second question I am a "Trusted Traveler" in the USA, which allows me to get short-lined through most of security. My layover time from Italy in Amman for the flight to Delhi is an hour and 50 minutes. On the Royal Jordanian website where I bought the ticket, it asked if I am a trusted traveler, and asked for the number. I didn't have the number, and they didn't use the words trusted traveler, so I answered no. I checked into it, and it seems that it means trusted traveler in the USA sense of the word, which makes border crossing ten times easier. However, on RJ Booking Manager, I can't find a place to go back and put in my Trusted Traveler Number. I would appreciate any help with this. I have european travel down pat, but this is only my second foray into Asia and the Middle East, and I have no idea how to proceed.

In sum: with an italian and an american passport, do I need a visa to do a connecting flight in Amman, Jordan? I have trusted traveler status with the USA, at least. RJ asked for it, so they may honor it, but I didn't have the number to give them at the time. Is it worth trying to get on the phone with them, and giving it to them? Any help is appreciated.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum
As an American citizen, you do not need a visa to transit through Jordan.
To get a visa anyway, you pay 20 Jordanian Dinars at the airport and get a stamp.
So you don't need to do anything ahead of time.
Enjoy your travels.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qmiro
To get a visa anyway, you pay 20 Jordanian Dinars at the airport and get a stamp.
Enjoy your travels.
Thank you. Since I'm departing from Italy, I used my Italian passport information when buying the flight from Milan/Amman/Delhi. Will it make a difference that I'll be flying in as an Italian, not as an American?

The flight out of Delhi is Amman/LHR/JFK. Since the final destination is JFK, I used my American passport number in booking the outbound. Do you know if he courtesy of not needing a visa to change planes at the airport in Amman extends to both Italian and American passport carriers?

I appreciate your response.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Should answer your question

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_re...alian_citizens

Although I would think it is 20JD now
Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Should answer your question

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_re...alian_citizens

Although I would think it is 20JD now
Thank you, that is very helpful. A further question, My layover is only about an hour and fifty minutes. I do not have checked luggage, only carry on. If I have to get in a line and fill out multiple papers for the visa, is it time consuming, or is it possible to do in less than two hours?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
You do not need a Visa to transit in Amman, period.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
This is correct.

Should you choose to get one (ie if you were going to actually enter Jordan), it's a simple process upon landing.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 5:37 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
An hour and fifty minutes is enough to transit in AMM. It's a small airport. Make sure you whip out whichever passport you have your Indian visa in when you do check in from MXP as well as transiting to India.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:51 pm

Very small airport. It does not take long at all to pass through. However, sometime the security can cause a bit of a wait. Still you should be fine. I would really recommend getting a "visa", it is a very cool souvenir to have in your passport.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Originally Posted by qmiro
Enjoy your travels.

Qmiro,

Is this info still accurate? I search several websites but got conflicting answers.

Basically US Passport flying into Jordan to see Petra for a total of about 5 days.....
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
It's 40 JD now
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by tasnam
Qmiro,

Is this info still accurate? I search several websites but got conflicting answers.

Basically US Passport flying into Jordan to see Petra for a total of about 5 days.....
No changes,but as ExpatSomchai said it's 40JD now.

You should get the Jordan Pass for 70/75/80JD/ (depending on how many days do you want to spend in Petra). Even if you visit nothing other then Petra it is still cheaper than paying 40JD (visa fee is waived for Jordan Pass holders)+50/55/60 for 1/2/3 days in Petra. The savings are even bigger if you visit other sites/attractions.

http://www.jordanpass.jo/Contents/Prices.aspx

....and yeah, welcome to Jordan!
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Thank you so much.

I had not known about that.

Was Planning on the Petra Marriott for 3 nights and the Hilton DoubleTree Aqaba for 2 nights.....thoughts on either hotel?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by tasnam
Thank you so much.

I had not known about that.

Was Planning on the Petra Marriott for 3 nights and the Hilton DoubleTree Aqaba for 2 nights.....thoughts on either hotel?
Hilton DoubleTree is not bad and is very cheap as far as chain hotels in AQJ goes, but it does not have direct access to the beach (they offer shuttle buses to the beach 10 min away). IC and Kempinski in Aqaba are good, or you can also go to Radisson Blu in Tala Bay (10 min away from Aqaba downtown). They are all very decent hotels and offe the complimentary shuttle to AQJ airport.

IME ,there is not much to do in Aqaba downtown,Aqaba is all about the beaches.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.