Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

CAI Cairo flight connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CAI Cairo flight connections

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:32 am

I am planning to book a connection via CAI on 2 separate tickets. Coming in on A3 at 00:50 and departing 02:35 on ET. Will 1:45 be enough to make the connection? It is T3 for both flights and I will have no checked bag. My biggest concern is that online check in might not work and I have to check in at the transfer desk. If my incoming flight is late, will they issue a BP at the transfer desk if the check in is officially closed (60 min prior to departure)?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Kapi1904
I am planning to book a connection via CAI on 2 separate tickets. Coming in on A3 at 00:50 and departing 02:35 on ET. Will 1:45 be enough to make the connection? It is T3 for both flights and I will have no checked bag. My biggest concern is that online check in might not work and I have to check in at the transfer desk. If my incoming flight is late, will they issue a BP at the transfer desk if the check in is officially closed (60 min prior to departure)?
As you've already made your decision, bought the tickets - there's really not much else you can do but push along with the transfer, and hope there are no delays. It would have been more sensible to get an earlier flight into Cairo - by the end of the day aircraft can accumulate delays.

No idea how ET works at Cairo, but I doubt you can check-in online. Cairo really isn't a check-in online airport - even if you believe you have done so, you'll have to make the trip up to the departure floor via the central transfer facility.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:28 am

Thanks for your reply! I haven't booked yet. Somehow there are not too many options to get to CAI as most EU airlines do not fly there anymore and MS is too expensive. I could get in at 1 pm but then I would have 13h layover. Also with the A3 (00:50) option I would earn some miles.

How much time do I need to plan to get to the departure floor assuming I was able to check-in online.

Anybody knows an answer to my question if the check in closes 60min prior to departure also applies to the transfer desk? Or would they be able to check me in even after that time?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kapi1904
Thanks for your reply! I haven't booked yet. Somehow there are not too many options to get to CAI as most EU airlines do not fly there anymore and MS is too expensive. I could get in at 1 pm but then I would have 13h layover. Also with the A3 (00:50) option I would earn some miles.

How much time do I need to plan to get to the departure floor assuming I was able to check-in online.

Anybody knows an answer to my question if the check in closes 60min prior to departure also applies to the transfer desk? Or would they be able to check me in even after that time?
Egyptians are an accommodating lot, and they'll get you through if everything's on time. If there's a long line at the transfer line or security queue, be prepared to say "excuse me" a lot

I'd be more concerned by delays on A3 pushing you beyond what is possible.

Have you looked at TK for getting you to Cairo?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:24 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by jpdx
I have a connection in CAI coming up, arriving Egyptair from MUC at 19.35, departing Saudia at 22.55. I believe I have to change terminals. Based on what I've read, a transfer within 3 hours should be doable if the MUC-CAI flight is on time, but certainly risky given separate tickets. I am thus considering spending a night at the LM. What would you guys advise?
Following the advice of IAN-UK and others, I spent the night at the LM, and I'm posting to recommend that anyone considering a tight connection do the same. My Egyptair flight from MUC came in with about 100 minute delay, so the connection would have been very tight (if perhaps still doable). It was certainly much more relaxing to have the extra night.

The LM is a gem. As SPG Platinum, I got an upgrade to a huge panorama suite, club access, and full buffet breakfast. It'd be a very good airport hotel anywhere, and absolutely shocking considering where it is. Outstanding value for 3k points per night on weekends. ^

Things move slowly at CAI airport -- baggage delivery upon arrival took almost an hour, departure security and check-in were very slow -- and there are a lot of touts offering transportation and help (i.e., grabbing your suitcase and expecting a tip) -- if you want to avoid these things, politely but firmly say no.

I don't see myself making the trek to Cairo for a $1200 CAI-US C fare on a regular basis; I'd happily pay $300 more and depart from DUB or OTP. However, for the $1500, 39k BIS mile C RTW I started this week, it's well worth the hassle.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:00 pm

Cairo turnaround with Turkish Airlines

I managed to do a one-hour turnaround in CAI, arriving on Turkish TK694 and departing on the same aircraft, TK695. My flight in was a positioning flight, in economy; the flight out was the first leg of a transatlantic trip, in business. Two separate tickets, of course.

I can't say it was fun, but it is certainly doable if you know what you're doing. Most crucial is to have a printed boarding pass for the flight that departs from CAI in advance. Unfortunately, even though it was easy to on-line check-in for the flight, the system wouldn't let me print the BP, neither on the web nor on the app. I was a bit concerned, but as I checked in for my positioning flight I politely asked the agent to see whether she could print my BP for the following flight, and although at first she said this was impossible, she managed to do it in 30 seconds. I am quite positive that they would have been able to do it for me in IST as well.

My flight from IST to CAI was delayed due to bad weather in Istanbul, and we left about 2.5 hours late. I spoke with the chief flight attendant on board, explained my situation, and asked her to talk to the CAI local agent when we arrive. Which she did, and the local agent showed me where to go and promised me they won't leave without me... This was a very nice touch.

We arrived 2.5 hours late, to gate F5 of Terminal 3. I walked the entire length of the terminal, arrived at the transfer desk and presented my boarding pass for the departing flight, whose departure time was two hours earlier, of course. At first they were puzzled, but I explained that I arrived with the incoming flight and they didn't seem too surprised. They asked for my passport, took it and the boarding pass to an office at the back, and came back a few minutes later with the documents.

I then passed through security and was allowed to move on to the departure gate. It all took no more than 20 minutes. Then of course there was gate security, whose queue took another 20 minutes, and then we waited a little longer for the aircraft to be ready, but after one hour I was on the aircraft again, with smiles (and some surprised looks) from many of the flight attendants.

All in all, it was a rather painless experience. I would certainly do it again if the fares from CAI will continue to be as low as they currently are.

OT: the flights to and from CAI are dry; no alcohol is served.

Shuly
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
My experience from last year (December) transferring from TK (T3) to EK (T1):

It's impossible to get a boarding pass in advance when departing from CAI because of security rules they have.

So I had to buy a visa for $20, clear immigration; take the bus from T3 to T1, go trough security again (which was a pain in the ...) get my boarding pass at the EK desk and that was it.

All this was done in approx 1,5 hour.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:21 am

Did another turnaround this week. Arrived on TK692 and departed on TK693. This time the aircraft parked at gate F1, and as I was in business, and the first to get off, it took me just a few minutes to get to the transfer desk. I presented my BP to the agent; he asked: "where are you coming from?", and I said: "Istanbul"; he asked "and where are you going to?", and I answered: "Istanbul". He nodded knowingly, asked me to come with him to this small room behind but wait outside. Again, they wrote something in a ledger of sorts, and in two minutes I had my passport and BP back. The entire thing, gate to gate, took no more than 12 minutes.

Shuly
​​​​​​​
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:50 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
How is domestic to international connection?
We're currently in planning mode for an Egypt trip and due to time constraints, we're looking to fly Egypt Air Abu Simbel - Aswan - Cairo (leave Abu 1:15pm, arrive Cairo 3:55pm). We can get either Etihad at 6:05pm or Emirates at 6:40pm. Is 2hrs enough time to go from Domestic to International in Cairo?
Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydakllon
How is domestic to international connection?
We're currently in planning mode for an Egypt trip and due to time constraints, we're looking to fly Egypt Air Abu Simbel - Aswan - Cairo (leave Abu 1:15pm, arrive Cairo 3:55pm). We can get either Etihad at 6:05pm or Emirates at 6:40pm. Is 2hrs enough time to go from Domestic to International in Cairo?
Thanks
Sure it's enough - if everything goes right.

But after a connection that didn't go at all right (not a CAI one), I'm now risk averse If there's no cash or FFP penalty attached to the later flight, why not throw an extra thirty-five minutes into the equation?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:34 am

What you're planning doesn't look like a connection. If you're combining two different tickets, you may be at risk if the domestic flight is delayed. I would certainly leave more than two hours for the transfer; and I would make sure that my ongoing flight (whether it is on Etihad or Emirates) is flexible enough so that in case I miss it, I wouldn't forfeit the entire ticket.

Shuly
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
LX to TK at CAI term. 3

I'm considering buying a TK ticket CAI-CGK. Depart. time to IST at 02:50. I would be able to arrive on a LX flight at 01:40, i.e. with 1h10min to make the transfer. Admittedly, I have never been in transit at CAI before, but it seems fairly easy/straight forward. What is MCT at term. 3?

I'm aware of the risks of traveling on separate tickets and that if my incoming flight is late I may miss my TK flight and need to rebook the flight to IST (no need to point that out; I'm aware and prepared to take the risk). The alternative would be to take the next TK flight at 08:45, but that means 7 hours in transit at CAI which I would rather avoid. Doable? (provided that incoming LX flight is not excessive late)
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I'm considering buying a TK ticket CAI-CGK. Depart. time to IST at 02:50. I would be able to arrive on a LX flight at 01:40, i.e. with 1h10min to make the transfer. Admittedly, I have never been in transit at CAI before, but it seems fairly easy/straight forward. What is MCT at term. 3?

I'm aware of the risks of traveling on separate tickets and that if my incoming flight is late I may miss my TK flight and need to rebook the flight to IST (no need to point that out; I'm aware and prepared to take the risk). The alternative would be to take the next TK flight at 08:45, but that means 7 hours in transit at CAI which I would rather avoid. Doable? (provided that incoming LX flight is not excessive late)
Just seen your post. I've flown the route often, but when I was a frequent visitor to Cairo. I always managed to book the evening departure from CAI, giving a comfortable connection time in IST.

The problem with positioning to Cairo purely for connections is, as I guess you are finding out, the lousy schedules from Europe. In fact, it's so awkward - and expensive - I never saw much point in travelling this route unless you need to be in Egypt, or want to see Cairo, on the way. But mileages vary, as they say

You are aware of the risks of late arrival into CAI and subsequent missed connection. These are very real risks, and it would be sensible to mitigate them and take the later flight to IST. But it sounds a hellish journey, unless you are breaking the trip in Istanbul (usually little or no extra cost). If not, it might be worth considering resting up in an airport hotel at CAI and taking the evening flight to Istanbul.
Old May 26, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: QF Silver
I'm looking at booking Sharm to Cairo departing 5.30am, arr 6.30am on MS, and then flying onto Dubai, also with MS, departing at 9.45am. It's significantly cheaper to buy these as separate tickets. Do you think 3.15 is safe enough? Will MS check our baggage through?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:16 am
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
This is LOADS of time. We just did Egypt Air from Aswan to Cairo, then Middle East Airlines from Cairo to Beirut. We landed in Terminal 3, and departed from Terminal 2. We had exactly 3 hours between flights and it was plenty to collect our bags and check them ourselves for the next one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.