FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Middle East (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east-481/)
-   -   Dan Jerusalem - Thoughts (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east/1471747-dan-jerusalem-thoughts.html)

joshwex90 May 31, 2013 2:38 am

Dan Jerusalem - Thoughts

Looking at booking the Dan Jerusalem for a night. Any knowledge/experience with the hotel?
Also, does anyone know what time check-in begins? Website says nothing, so I called. She said check-in starts at 09:00, and the latest possible is 13:00. (Meaning, the earliest possible check-in is 09:00; the latest possible time for check-in to START is 13:00.) That sounds too good to be true, so I figured I'd check here to confirm with others who may have experienced that.
Early check-in is crucial

awayIgo May 31, 2013 6:08 am

Generally speaking check-in at Dan hotels is 1500. The only time you can check in early is when the rooms are basically unused from the night before and ready early. I would call back, ask again AND ask what time check out is. THAT usually is noon and you can't expect them to have rooms ready BEFORE they are empty :cool:

IN terms of the hotel itself. The property is the one that had previously been called the Renaissance. While I haven't been there personally I know my driver in Israel goes yearly with his immediate family. They ( he and his wife) love that they basically just let their kids loose! He reports it is really nice, loads of stuff to do and very busy. With pools etc. etc. I would imagine that the weekend is full of kids. If you are going with only your new wife then I would think mid week would be much better than the weekend.

Enjoy

Houminer May 31, 2013 7:12 am

Originally Posted by awayIgo (Post 20841365)
I The property is the one that had previously been called the Renaissance. Enjoy

Wasn't it the Hyatt??

craz May 31, 2013 7:41 am

Originally Posted by awayIgo (Post 20841365)
Generally speaking check-in at Dan hotels is 1500. The only time you can check in early is when the rooms are basically unused from the night before and ready early. I would call back, ask again AND ask what time check out is. THAT usually is noon and you can't expect them to have rooms ready BEFORE they are empty :cool:

IN terms of the hotel itself. The property is the one that had previously been called the Renaissance. While I haven't been there personally I know my driver in Israel goes yearly with his immediate family. They ( he and his wife) love that they basically just let their kids loose! He reports it is really nice, loads of stuff to do and very busy. With pools etc. etc. I would imagine that the weekend is full of kids. If you are going with only your new wife then I would think mid week would be much better than the weekend.

Enjoy

The Dan was not the former Renaissance, The Ramada today was the former Renaissance

I find most of the hotels in Israel have a 3pm check-in time, show up before that and if you arent a reg guest theres a good chance you will be told to come back @ 3pm , thats even with tons of rooms being available. The only exception I ran into was if my checkin was on a Fri (eve Shabbos) or on an eve Yom Tov, and I contacted the hotel in advance and asked for an early check-in.

craz May 31, 2013 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Houminer (Post 20841640)
Wasn't it the Hyatt??

Depends which Dan you are referring to. btw The King David is also a Dan hotel. I believe the name of the former Hyatt is The Dan Regency. But there are several Dan hotels today in Jerusalem so you should specify which 1 you are referring to. (sort of like asking info for Leonardo, which also has several properties in Jerusalem). I dont believe there is a "Dan" or "Dan Jerusalem" as there is in Tel Aviv, say ask directions or about The Dan in TA and they will telling you about The Dan on Hayakon St

joshwex90 May 31, 2013 8:01 am

The stay would be Sunday night with my brand new wife :)
The hotel was indeed the old Hyatt. The former Renaissance is now the Ramada. craz, the former Hyatt is now the Dan Jerusalem, not Dan Regency. Dan has 4 hotels in Jerusalem: The King David, Dan Panorama (Keren Hayesod, next to the King Solomon,) Dan Boutique (Derech Chevron, former Ariel Hotel), and Dan Jerusalem (Mount Scopus, former Hyatt).
I called the front desk and reservations and both said the same thing regarding check in. They said check out is 12:00, and only if the room hasn't been vacated yet would check-in not be until 13:00. But in general, many of their rooms are taken by groups and vacated by 08:00 they said. It still just sounds too good to be true and not worth risking, but an early check in is essential, because it would allow me to check in in the morning so after the wedding, there's no need to bother with that, AND it would allow me and my 2 friend to get ready in the room as opposed to heading back to Efrat from Jerusalem before going to the hall.

craz May 31, 2013 9:47 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 20841874)
The hotel was indeed the old Hyatt. The former Renaissance is now the Ramada. craz, the former Hyatt is now the Dan Jerusalem, not Dan Regency. Dan has 4 hotels in Jerusalem: The King David, Dan Panorama (Keren Hayesod, next to the King Solomon,) Dan Boutique (Derech Chevron, former Ariel Hotel), and Dan Jerusalem (Mount Scopus, former Hyatt).
I called the front desk and reservations and both said the same thing regarding check in. They said check out is 12:00, and only if the room hasn't been vacated yet would check-in not be until 13:00. But in general, many of their rooms are taken by groups and vacated by 08:00 they said. It still just sounds too good to be true and not worth risking, but an early check in is essential, because it would allow me to check in in the morning so after the wedding, there's no need to bother with that, AND it would allow me and my 2 friend to get ready in the room as opposed to heading back to Efrat from Jerusalem before going to the hall.

Have you made the reason you want an early check-in known to the hotel? I would be very surprised if the mgr will turn you down.Except if they know in advance that they will be soldout the night before

awayIgo Jun 2, 2013 1:11 am

Yes, you are right it is/ was the Hyatt--but while I had the old name of the property wrong, the mental image I have/had is for the correct place :)

I also agree, speak with the manager and explain you are on a honey moon. I am blanking on his name, but he was for years, the manager of the Dan Panorama--which is where I always stay when I want to be in Jerusalem for a week.

Also, as you talk about former names, Don't forget that in a previous life the Dan Panorama was the Moriah!

joshwex90 Jun 2, 2013 1:14 am

That I never knew! But if you do remember the CURRENT name of the manager, please let me know! Thanks again for all advice - hope it works for both early check-in and late check-out

craz Jun 2, 2013 9:30 am

Originally Posted by awayIgo (Post 20850664)

Also, as you talk about former names, Don't forget that in a previous life the Dan Panorama was the Moriah!

Add to that The King Solomon was built as The Sheraton King Solomon, at that time The Plaza was known as The CP Plaza (CP stood for Canadian Pacfic which was the Intl Canadian Airline not Air Canada)

The Crowne Plaza today was the original Hilton, The Davids Citadel was suppose to be the new Hilton. Inbal was Laromme.Sonesta = Park Plaza + The Park = Prima Park. Novatel is now a Leonardo.Knesset Tower (next to The Ramada has gone thru many name changes at 1 time was a Four Points). Mercure is now Jerusalem Gate. Howard Johnsons never opened but was built. Lev Yerushalyim was a Days Inn.A Best Western was 1 block away from Menorah Sq (near KG & Ben Yehuda) towards the Plaza.

Pt is many hotels had at 1 time or other were a part of a Chain, today only The Crowne Plaza and soon to be Waldorf are left. (Besides The Ramada but you dont earn Wyndham pts or miles, can only cash out) From the mgrs I spoke with over the yrs , they didnt get enough reses off the Chains site and were inudated with reward nights and people complaining to HQ about the hotel that it didnt make sense to pay the fees involved and remain with the chain.TA is different since the bulk of those staying pay and are on biz, and the hotels do get a fair share of reses thru the chains site

awayIgo Jun 2, 2013 10:11 am

Josh--I am meeting a friend later to go to the Celebrate Israel parade here in NYC. I'll see if she remembers. ( or I'll email the person I know and ask her)

Jasper2009 Jun 2, 2013 10:27 am

Congratulaions!:)

joshwex90 Jun 2, 2013 10:50 am

Thanks and thanks! craz, the Crowne Plaza may be the only hotel in Jerusalem part of an international chain and rewards program, but the Leonardo is an international chain and the Dan is a domestic chain

TWA884 Jun 2, 2013 11:02 am

the stay would be sunday night with my brand new wife :)

.מזל טוב

craz Jun 2, 2013 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 20852419)
Thanks and thanks! craz, the Crowne Plaza may be the only hotel in Jerusalem part of an international chain and rewards program, but the Leonardo is an international chain and the Dan is a domestic chain

1- I dont even know if Leonardo or Dan have their own program, and even if they do it wont appeal to many outside of Israel. I believe Leonardo has most of its props in Israel, I remember AMS and not sure where else.

2- dont forget the Waldorf once it opens is apart of Hilton, so that will be 2 Hotels in Yeru with Intl ties. But Im sure the Waldorf wont be cheap pts or $$$ wise to pay. So that will still leave The CP as the main place, but its location wont be ideal for many.

Tiberias as well no longer has any Intl Chained hotels (except if you want to count Leonardo again I dont), I believe Haifa is also void of any. Basically its down to TA,Eilat, & Ein Bokek Personally Im surprised there are any outside of TA.