Jeddah Travel Advice

Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Jeddah Travel Advice

Hi,

I am contemplating purchasing a ticket with Saudi Arabian airlines from JFK-BOM with 9hr layover in Jeddah. I am not planning to leave the airport...just want to get in and get to my next gate and relax for a bit. I am a 29yr old white, American woman traveling alone to meet my husband in Mumbai. I've read conflicting things both about Jeddah Airport and the airline itself in terms of canceling flights, re routing, etc. Has anyone (especially woman) had any experience in Jeddah airport? Is the airport easy to navigate if you are connecting? Is language an issue? I will be dressed conservatively in order to be respectful. The planes themselves seem to have good reviews, but its the service I'm concerned about. If we are delayed is 9hrs a good enough cushion? Or should I just pay the extra $125 and book with Virgin Atlantic?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:31 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I have never been to JED, but based on my experience in RUH and on Saudia in general, spending an extra $125 seems like a smart idea (of course, I say that not knowing your budget).

I have a rule of thumb to avoid transiting in places where I don't have a visa. If something irregular happens, you could well be stuck -- SV's limited schedule and poor customer service increase the risk. Plus I am sure that JED is not a fun place to spend nine hours, and Virgin should be a much better in-flight experience anyway. (I would also rather have two mid-length flights than one very long one if I were flying in economy class.)
Old Apr 3, 2013, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Welcome to FT!
I'd pay $125 extra to transit LHR rather than JED.
I suggest you read this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middl...ia-jeddah.html that has details about layovers in Jeddah and also links to other related threads.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.