Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

KWI-DOH-DXB Airport Advice Needed for UA MR

KWI-DOH-DXB Airport Advice Needed for UA MR

Old Jan 31, 13, 10:27 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DFW
Programs: AA Life PLT, Amex Cent, WN A, WN CP, UA Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,132
KWI-DOH-DXB Airport Advice Needed for UA MR

I am planning my first MR on UA and it looks like the middle east is the best bet. I'm looking at a run to KWI, DXB or DOH with no stay and have some questions.

Can I use a transit desk to get my return boarding passes and not have to leave security or deal with visas?

Does the UA club in those cities offer showers and provide a decent place to wait?

Some of the turn arounds only have a two hour layover. Is that enough to get visa and get back in?

Since this is my first time, any other advice or things I should consider is appreciated.
AFAM-DFW is offline  
Old Jan 31, 13, 4:54 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: DCA or IAD (originally DUB)
Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Posts: 7,659
Originally Posted by Peter Silberman View Post
I am planning my first MR on UA and it looks like the middle east is the best bet. I'm looking at a run to KWI, DXB or DOH with no stay and have some questions.

Can I use a transit desk to get my return boarding passes and not have to leave security or deal with visas?

Does the UA club in those cities offer showers and provide a decent place to wait?

Some of the turn arounds only have a two hour layover. Is that enough to get visa and get back in?

Since this is my first time, any other advice or things I should consider is appreciated.
I'm not quite sure how you came upon the Middle East as the "best bet" for a MR?
United uses contract lounges in DXB, KWI and DOH. They don't have showers, and if you are on a two-hour turnaround you won't have time.
You'll be focusing on making the transit successfully.
I'd suggest you start by reading these relevant threads
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middl...onnection.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middl...-question.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middl...sit-hotel.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middl...ion-dubai.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...?highlight=kwi
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middl...ansit-doh.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middl...over-doha.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...?highlight=kwi
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middl...questions.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...?highlight=kwi
UAPremExecflyer is offline  
Old Jan 31, 13, 6:51 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; former GS
Posts: 252
Even given the recent thread in this forum, you should consider Bahrain. I fly ORD to IAD to KWI/BAH every of couple of months, and the United flights are often less expensive to Bahrain than Kuwait, even though the plane stops in Kuwait first. You will get a few more miles at perhaps reduced cost. There is a transit desk, so I don not believe you would go through the exiting passport control / visa stations.

You would, of course, want to check with the airline/ State Department to confirm this is possible.
FC ORD is offline  
Old Jan 31, 13, 11:49 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United Arab Emirates & Arizona, USA
Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
Posts: 4,194
All of these airports have transit desks and can suit a return. You wouldn't need a visa (if you weren't checking bags) in any of them, though you would have to go through security -- centralized transit security plus a second security at the gate at DOH and DXB, only at the gate at KWI.

KWI is the fastest transit by far, but with a longer layover (because the plane goes to BAH). In DXB, the plane goes onward from there to DOH and back before returning to IAD, so you have plenty of time. In DOH, with the bus system and transit security, the connection would be tight.

The LH lounge in DXB is the best of these three options, though no showers. There is, however, an airport in-terminal hotel in which you can rent a room for a hour to shower.

(I don't understand why, if you're going all this way, you wouldn't spend at least one night to see the city. To each his own.)
mecabq is online now  
Old Feb 1, 13, 9:16 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DFW
Programs: AA Life PLT, Amex Cent, WN A, WN CP, UA Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,132
Originally Posted by mecabq View Post
All of these airports have transit desks and can suit a return. You wouldn't need a visa (if you weren't checking bags) in any of them, though you would have to go through security -- centralized transit security plus a second security at the gate at DOH and DXB, only at the gate at KWI.

KWI is the fastest transit by far, but with a longer layover (because the plane goes to BAH). In DXB, the plane goes onward from there to DOH and back before returning to IAD, so you have plenty of time. In DOH, with the bus system and transit security, the connection would be tight.

The LH lounge in DXB is the best of these three options, though no showers. There is, however, an airport in-terminal hotel in which you can rent a room for a hour to shower.

(I don't understand why, if you're going all this way, you wouldn't spend at least one night to see the city. To each his own.)
Thanks. That was just the info I was looking for.

I'll be on a platinum challenge so I'm just after the miles at this point. UA had a decent fare from DFW-KWI at 6.36cpm. Not a good MR but easy connections from DFW on UA.

I'll play tourist when my wife can come along.
AFAM-DFW is offline  
Old Aug 15, 13, 7:34 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: In the corner plotting world domination
Programs: 1K
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by mecabq View Post
All of these airports have transit desks and can suit a return. You wouldn't need a visa (if you weren't checking bags) in any of them, though you would have to go through security -- centralized transit security plus a second security at the gate at DOH and DXB, only at the gate at KWI.

... In DOH, with the bus system and transit security, the connection would be tight.
I am specifically interested in DOH:

If I won't have to go through immigration and no visa is needed, what do you think is the minimum turn around time (UA -> UA)? Also, presumably I'll need time to get the transit desk to print out a boarding pass too.

If I'm in transit, is it ok to do a turn around or do I have to go on to a third country (like pvg)?

Are there other considerations for this turn?

Last edited by Daringdoo; Aug 15, 13 at 8:59 pm Reason: eta: additional question
Daringdoo is offline  
Old Aug 18, 13, 5:29 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United Arab Emirates & Arizona, USA
Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
Posts: 4,194
Originally Posted by Daringdoo View Post
I am specifically interested in DOH:

If I won't have to go through immigration and no visa is needed, what do you think is the minimum turn around time (UA -> UA)? Also, presumably I'll need time to get the transit desk to print out a boarding pass too.

If I'm in transit, is it ok to do a turn around or do I have to go on to a third country (like pvg)?

Are there other considerations for this turn?
The only issue with DOH is time. You take a bus from the aircraft to the arrivals hall. It doesn't stop at the transit hall, so you have get off at arrivals and wait a short time for the next bus to the transit area, where you go through security, then to the transit desk to check-in, then to the gate for the special "U.S." flights secondary security, then boarding via bus again. You don't need a visa, and should be fine.

The UA flight arrives at a moderately busy time, so the transit security can be long. If you can print your boarding pass beforehand, that would be better, so avoid the typical service incompetence at the transit desk. You could also show the agents greeting the bus at arrivals your onward boarding pass to avoid possible confusion, since it's not typical to transit from the UA flight.
mecabq is online now  
Old Aug 18, 13, 1:07 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: In the corner plotting world domination
Programs: 1K
Posts: 1,121
Thank you, Mecabq.
Daringdoo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread