Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Private driver for Israel touring?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Private driver for Israel touring?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 2:26 pm

thepla--If the $400 included driving and guide fee that is very much on the less expensive end of things. Care to share his name so others may contact him.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by awayIgo
The Harmony hotel is a nice hotel BUT it is getting overpriced due to its' popularity and the laws of supply and demand. For what they are charging lately, you can do much better!
Israel is an expensive country for all tourists. That said, I concur with your remark about Harmony. The room size is very small, breakfast basic, afternoon tea basic, and amenities minimal.
On the positives: Location is good and staff friendly.
Still over-priced, IMHO.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:25 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
FWIW, we did hire the driver/tour guide that thepla recommended for next week. Reasonable rates, and so far great communication.

In terms of hotels we booked the Inbal Jerusalem, Emily's Hotel in Tiberias and the Sheraton in Tel Aviv (plats for life, so that was a no-brainer, especially with my wife's corporate rate).

Thanks to all for the advice and help. Very much looking forward to the trip!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Can't say enough about how wonderful the driver that thepla suggested was.

He was a great driver with a nice-size minivan, but more importantly his breadth and depth of knowledge about everything from agriculture to politics (and everything in between) and ability to convey it in an interesting way made spending a couple of days with him delightful.

And all for under $500US per day!

If anyone wants his contact information, I am happy to provide it via PM along with my strongest positive recommendation.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:00 am

Glad you had a great experience. Just don't forget--since you mentioned his knowledge of politics. There is no way to talk politics in this country without doing it from your political point of view. Now the guide may agree with my "correct" view or he may not (note: I am NOT sharing my POV) Just be aware--his comments came from someplace!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by awayIgo
Glad you had a great experience. Just don't forget--since you mentioned his knowledge of politics. There is no way to talk politics in this country without doing it from your political point of view. Now the guide may agree with my "correct" view or he may not (note: I am NOT sharing my POV) Just be aware--his comments came from someplace!
Here is what I learned about it from spending a week in Israel and the Palestinian Territories:

It's complicated.

Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:27 pm

I am Flying into Amman and would like to take a one-day guided driving tour into Jerusalem. Is this possible?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by foleyfoley
I am Flying into Amman and would like to take a one-day guided driving tour into Jerusalem. Is this possible?
Yes and No! --let me explain.

You can neither drive a Jordanian car in Israel ( or an Israeli car in Jordan) nor use a Jordanian guide in Israel. So, getting into a vehicle in Jordan and staying with that vehicle and that driver in Israel is impossible.

What you can do, is make arrangements for an Israeli driving guide to meet you at the border. You would then have your tour with this individual.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:19 pm

We are planning our second independent trip to Israel and I'm looking for a driver

Originally Posted by thepla
We are going Feb 6 for a week and using same tour guide.

He is great and drives everywhere. Last trip was just wife and son with me.

Pm me if you desire contact info.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Welcome to FT!

A few years ago, we used Richard Woolf. He was pretty expensive, but we felt that we had a good (and safe) tour. He is former Israeli Army.

http://www.safed.co.il/woolfguide.html
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Just today finished a five day private tour with Moti Barness owner and operator of www.privateguidetoisrael.com . You can read his reviews on Trip Advisor. Wife and I were very impressed and 100% satisfied. If you have further questions feel free to PM me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.