LHR - DXB vs DXB - LHR returns

Old Jan 8, 13, 10:22 am
Original Poster

LHR - DXB vs DXB - LHR returns

Does anyone know why a return from DXB to LHR is as much as 75% more expensive than LHR to DXB? It's effectively the same trip, so why the massive discrepency?

Feel free to move to more appropriate forum, first time poster etc.

Many thanks
Old Jan 8, 13, 10:58 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
The same is true AUH->LHR. After more than three years of living in AUH, I am still "stuck" on LHR-AUH-LHR tickets to get me back to the UK, as they are considerably cheaper than the AUH-LHR-AUH direction.
Old Jan 9, 13, 7:32 am

Supply and demand. And it applies in both directions
If you look at BA in CW you can find days where DXB-LHR-DXB is cheaper than starting in London
Old Jan 11, 13, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
I don't know how rigorous the OP's analysis was, as it could come down to reduced availability on a particular day closing out lower fare buckets.

The market anomalies can work to your advantage though. There are often some very nice Gulf-USA business fares (AA fare codeshare on BA flights) that work out cheaper than a straight return to LON !

e.g. currently available:

BA I class DXB-LHR rtn in April - AED 12410
AA I class DXB-JFK rtn in April - AED 12230

Free weekend in NYC anyone ?

Fares ex-Gulf often have more flexibility or much lower change/canx penalties. e.g. USD160 on the above AA fare.
Old Jan 13, 13, 1:00 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Good spot, dunk. Might have to check one of those out.
Old Jan 13, 13, 5:37 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by dunk View Post
I don't know how rigorous the OP's analysis was, as it could come down to reduced availability on a particular day closing out lower fare buckets.

The market anomalies can work to your advantage though. There are often some very nice Gulf-USA business fares (AA fare codeshare on BA flights) that work out cheaper than a straight return to LON !

e.g. currently available:

BA I class DXB-LHR rtn in April - AED 12410
AA I class DXB-JFK rtn in April - AED 12230

Free weekend in NYC anyone ?

Fares ex-Gulf often have more flexibility or much lower change/canx penalties. e.g. USD160 on the above AA fare.
There are a lot of examples like this -- TK flights from the Gulf, or even CAI and BEY, are generally much cheaper than itineraries with the same segment starting in IST.

As the previous poster said, it's supply-and-demand. BA is competing with a lot of airlines on DXB-JFK, whereas on the non-stop DXB-LHR there is less competition (and people willing to pay a premium for the non-stop).

People travel these routes routinely understand this. For example, when I was traveling IAD-Gulf back-and-forth repeatedly, I would buy a one-way at the beginning of the project and then buy the rest of my flights Gulf-IAD until the end of the project. Or a round-trip for the beginning and end, and then nest Gulf-originating tickets in between. Fine if you're not circumventing the fare rules (or if the outer IAD-Gulf-IAD trip is on a different airline).

Search this Thread