Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

KWI on UA Immigration Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,

I'm thinking of taking a flight on UA round trip IAD-KWI (Kuwait City). This would help me top up my status for next year with enough miles at both a tolerable cost (not cheap) plus the timing works for me both in flight times and no connections required. It would be a one night stay in KWI and then non-stop back to IAD.

Has anyone gone through the immigration process in KWI? I know it is a visa on arrival and I should be able to produce a hotel confirmation. Are they likely to give me a hassle for just a one day trip? I can't imagine KWI immigration authorities get too many mileage runs so that might be hard to explain.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
I've done lots of 1 day trips there from DXB - no issue at all. The process can take quite a while, especially if they're busy - I'd advise getting off the plane as quickly as you can. You take a number and you get processed at the counter, then off you go to immigration (no additional questions there) and then baggage claim.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by star_world
I've done lots of 1 day trips there from DXB - no issue at all. The process can take quite a while, especially if they're busy - I'd advise getting off the plane as quickly as you can. You take a number and you get processed at the counter, then off you go to immigration (no additional questions there) and then baggage claim.
Thanks for the quick reply!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
I'm thinking of taking a flight on UA round trip IAD-KWI (Kuwait City). This would help me top up my status for next year with enough miles at both a tolerable cost (not cheap) plus the timing works for me both in flight times and no connections required. It would be a one night stay in KWI and then non-stop back to IAD.

Has anyone gone through the immigration process in KWI? I know it is a visa on arrival and I should be able to produce a hotel confirmation. Are they likely to give me a hassle for just a one day trip? I can't imagine KWI immigration authorities get too many mileage runs so that might be hard to explain.
Why not go all the way to Bahrain? You can drink there, at least. I would try to get a visa ahead of time. I am not sure if you can for KWI, but there is an eVisa for Bahrain.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by star_world
KWI /= DXB (nor BAH), but I think that BAH is more comparable. Was on a MR to BAH and my friend was detained for about an hour while the immigration officials pondered the one night stay.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Had no problems during a 10 hour layover in KWI with immigration.

The only "problem" was that from what I remember they expect you to pay for the visa with KWD - which you can get at the money changer opposite the counter.

I agree, with get there as early as you can, you dont wanna be in line.

btw, the visa desk is NOT immigration, you get the visa, then you go thru immigration.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:50 pm

If you are staying the night at a hotel most of them (for a slight upcharge over the visa fee) will pre arrange a visa which you can go downstairs to pick up, bypassing the melee at the visa on arrival counter. To pick up a pre arranged visa just leave the crowds behind and go downstairs to the counter next to the "Veiled Lady" inspection desk.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:01 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club,National EE, Hilton honors Gold,hyatt Plat,MP Silver
the visa is free, takes 2-3 mins..i dont remember having to stop at customs, they just waived me thru
Old Dec 22, 2012, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by DODiraq
the visa is free,
The fee depends on your passport.

US is KWD3, but Canadians had to pay KWD6

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.