Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is Abu Dhabi or Dubai Tax FREE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.

as the title: if i purchase a laptop in Abu Dhabi or Dubai, can I apply to Tax free (refund) program?
I've been in DXB in 2009, but i don't remember if and how it works..
thank you
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Not sure on the tax issue, but I'd avoid getting a laptop there for a different reason. I have not found a single shop in Dubai that sells a laptop that doesn't have arabic letters on the keyboard.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
thanks for reply. :-)
Indeed, i was looking for a Mac Book Pro that with exchange rate EUR-AED and (eventual) tax free would cost a bit less..
anyone knows something about tax free in UAE?! :-)
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by brp1264
I have not found a single shop in Dubai that sells a laptop that doesn't have arabic letters on the keyboard.
Dubai Duty Free sells laptops with English only keyboards, but their selection and prices are not particularly good.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 2:48 pm

I have a Mac from eBay, gray import from US, and when entering Europe have been asked to show that VAT has been paid a couple of times.
Having an Arabic MacBook would be interesting!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zaynab
I have a Mac from eBay, gray import from US, and when entering Europe have been asked to show that VAT has been paid a couple of times.
Having an Arabic MacBook would be interesting!
Maybe the seller shipped the mac book pro to you?! in that case you have to pay VAT at custom duty;
at the contrary, if you buy it directly in the country, and throw away the box, they can't prove that the mac wasn't yours before departure!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:52 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For additional discussion, please follow the thread as it moves to the Destination->Middle East forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 5:33 am

Programs: EY Platinum
There is no tax in the UAE. There's an import duty (5%, I think) which is non-refundable.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by csdf
There is no tax in the UAE. There's an import duty (5%, I think) which is non-refundable.
as i know, tax exemption is only for companies who established their business in UAE, not for purchases...i'm wrong?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: Etihad Gold, HH-Gold
No sales tax (or VAT) on any purchase (yet) in UAE
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T4Less
No sales tax (or VAT) on any purchase (yet) in UAE
so i desime that every purchase on UAE apple store (store and web) are already VAT exempt?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
No, they're not VAT exempt. There is no VAT in the UAE. You can't be exempt from something that doesn't exist.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: vat in uae
NO! After 1 January 2018 vat has implement in UAE

NO! now Dubai is a taxing country with important tax advantages for those people who live and work here but only in certain circumstances.Dubai is a shining star in the whole Middle East.
Middle East countries the UAE their earns its revenue mainly through the oil industry and offers the tax-free living to attract global companies, that is the most earning way of UAE countries.
Other indirect Tax in Dubai like profits of international banks and energy firms, Alcohol is heavily taxed upon importation and council tax secretly levied when you pay your utility bills.
TheVatUae

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.