Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to go to Israel after Today events?

Old Nov 14, 12, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

I am scheduled to fly to TLV on Saturday with two kids. We are/were planning to do Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and Dead Sea. After Today events, in Gaza, is it a good idea to still go? How safe is it? We are just tourist without any connection to Israel.
Old Nov 14, 12, 9:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime TITANIUM, Delta Skymiles
It seems like there is never a good time to go to Israel, so you have to just go when you can.

I was in Israel with my family when the 2008-09 war started. We never felt unsafe, not for a minute.

It's a wonderful trip, enjoy!!
Old Nov 14, 12, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis President's Club
I wouldn't hesitate. Today's actions are not out of the ordinary. Don't visit the Palestinian territories - stick to Israel proper, and you'll be fine.
Old Nov 15, 12, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by eloraculo View Post
I am scheduled to fly to TLV on Saturday with two kids. We are/were planning to do Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and Dead Sea. After Today events, in Gaza, is it a good idea to still go? How safe is it? We are just tourist without any connection to Israel.
I wouldn't spend discretionary time and money visiting a country which is openly antagonising an unpredictable and unstable state such as Iran.

Whatever attractions Israel has, and I'm sure it has many, the risks associated with a visit have clearly increased with the tensions and attacks of the last few days.

Howver, the UK government has issued a formal warning only against travel to Gaza and to the areas of Israel within 40km of the Gaza perimeter (they are careful not to call it a border). The importance of the formal warning is it is sufficient reason to invoke travel insurance protection if we cancel travel. I suggest you check for travel advice with your own government department.

There is an odd, further, warning from the UK: Only hand your passport over to third parties including Israeli officials when absolutely necessary.
Old Nov 15, 12, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
I wouldn't spend discretionary time and money visiting a country which is openly antagonising an unpredictable and unstable state such as Iran.

Whatever attractions Israel has, and I'm sure it has many, the risks associated with a visit have clearly increased with the tensions and attacks of the last few days.

Howver, the UK government has issued a formal warning only against travel to Gaza and to the areas of Israel within 40km of the Gaza perimeter (they are careful not to call it a border). The importance of the formal warning is it is sufficient reason to invoke travel insurance protection if we cancel travel. I suggest you check for travel advice with your own government department.

There is an odd, further, warning from the UK: Only hand your passport over to third parties including Israeli officials when absolutely necessary.
I find it curious that you discourage visiting Israel in one post and encourage visiting Egypt in another, where not only are violent and relatively central demonstrations commonplace, but also foreign journalists are sexually assaulted and embassies are attacked.

To the OP, I recommend to stay out of the 40km zone (which you most probably would have done anyway). FWIW, day to day life in the rest of Israel is more or less undisturbed. Have a good time!
Old Nov 15, 12, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post

I read various travel warnings from different countries, but I don't think any had been changed yesterday.
Old Nov 15, 12, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I read various travel warnings from different countries, but I don't think any had been changed yesterday.
If you are planning to visit Jerusalem and the Dead Sea area, it is very likely that you will not even be aware of what is taking place in Gaza. The 40 kilometer avisory would also put Tel Aviv out of the range of what is taking place.

It is natural to feel concern for safety of your children, and I assure that the Israeli government is sensitive to the many visitors it has from all over the world and these legitimate concerns. Areas that are not safe for travelers are simply not open to them. Having been in Ashkelon and Sderot myself recently, I can say that I would be hesitant to send my children there this week. My family continues to be in Jerusalem, and Iam at peace with that.

But again, if you are indeed going to be in Jerusalem and the West Bank, other than an expanded protection net (typical in Jerusalem and the West Bank is seeing soldiers regularly all hours of the day - very little street crime!)

Dress warm, it has been cool and damp in Jerusalem.
Old Nov 15, 12, 10:47 am

Rather than write was has been said, I will simply say GO and a special right on to Orthar. I think IAN-UK's response had nothing to do with the question and everything to do with his personal politics.
Old Nov 15, 12, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Originally Posted by orthar View Post
I find it curious that you discourage visiting Israel in one post and encourage visiting Egypt in another
I was aware that I was treading on eggshells, and perhaps I should have tiptoed away But I responded to the OP's question about travelling on a family holiday to a country against which serious threats of extreme violence have been made by a powerful third state.

I certainly wouldn't take my family there now, or in the immediate future. However, I look forward to visiting Israel again when the situation becomes less volatile.

The Israeli situation is totally different to the (largely) domestic one playing out in Egypt.

PS missiles on Tel Aviv (on the news now) do nothing to encourage me to change my opinion on the advisability of taking family holidays in Israel at the moment

Last edited by IAN-UK; Nov 15, 12 at 1:05 pm
Old Nov 15, 12, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Apparently rockets hit some suburbs near Jaffa. I didn't know Gaza had rockets that could reach that far?

Trying not to worry, but we leave on Tuesday for a holiday in Israel.
Old Nov 15, 12, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05 View Post
Apparently rockets hit some suburbs near Jaffa. I didn't know Gaza had rockets that could reach that far?

They are referring to Fajr 5 rockets that can reach that far.. According to official reports, most of these were destroyed preemptively yesterday, though some are left.
As far as I know the firing you refer to landed in the ocean. I seriously doubt they will be able to fire these much at all, and surely not by the time you arrive here. If needed, a ground operation will start beforehand IMO and prevent such an option.
Old Nov 15, 12, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05 View Post

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I decided to cancel my trip. Today's news were a bit to much for me. As much as I wanted to go, I don't think my ideal trip includes running to take cover when sirens go off.
Old Nov 16, 12, 6:39 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Sorry to hear that, elo. Hopefully you'll be able to visit in the future when you feel a bit more confident about everything. It's a trip well worth taking someday!
Old Nov 16, 12, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I decided to cancel my trip. Today's news were a bit to much for me. As much as I wanted to go, I don't think my ideal trip includes running to take cover when sirens go off.
which carrier weer you booked with? I know UA isnt Refunding anything unless they CX the flight (which they havent as of yet still flying 2 a day and Full) but allowing a change of dates till 11/26 after that you must pay the difference in the fare
Old Nov 16, 12, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
I'm on the mistake fare from El Al, so I'd imagine they'd let us cancel up to the last minute since they're losing so much on the AA codeshare flight.

Still on track to leave Tuesday, but my mom is now freaking out and wants to cancel.

Search this Thread