Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to go to Israel after Today events?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it safe to go to Israel after Today events?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by dhuey
Dov, I just got back from Beirut. I was curious to see how close I was to you. So, I plugged your town into Google Maps, and requested the distance to Beirut.

Result: We could not calculate directions between Yir'on, Israel and Beirut, Lebanon.
Originally Posted by Dovster
It is 129 kilometers from Beirut to the Israeli border at Rosh HaNiqra and another 49 kilometers to Yiron. It would be a lot shorter if there was a direct road but I don't know of any.
Yaroun, Lebanon, is right across the border from Yir'on. According to Google Maps, it's 122 km from Beirut to Yaroun. The couple of miles between Yaroun and Yir'on will present an insurmountable challenge, though.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by TWA884
The couple of miles between Yaroun and Yir'on will present an insurmountable challenge, though.
Yep. I hope so much that one day this border becomes much like the border between Spain and France. Or Germany and Belgium, or the many borders in the world that went from battle lines to something travellers barely notice.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Yep. I hope so much that one day this border becomes much like the border between Spain and France. Or Germany and Belgium, or the many borders in the world that went from battle lines to something travellers barely notice.
BEYflyer and I have a long-standing agreement to meet for drinks on the border the day that it becomes legal.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
BEYflyer and I have a long-standing agreement to meet for drinks on the border the day that it becomes legal.
I'd love to join you both for that. His travel kept us from meeting in person in Beirut last week. May this actually happen one day.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I'd love to join you both for that. His travel kept us from meeting in person in Beirut last week. May this actually happen one day.
We did actually meet, and with quite a few FTers as witnesses, but it was far from the border.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I wouldn't spend discretionary time and money visiting a country which is openly antagonising an unpredictable and unstable state such as Iran.
[/I].
Not to turn this into an OMNI post, but I don't believe Israel is 'antagonizing' Iran. Rather, it's trying to defend itself from about 800 rockets that have flown over from Gaza.

If all of a sudden air raid sirens are heard in London, and people have to take cover from incoming rockets, will you also say that GB doesn't have a right to respond?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Update: flying out tomorrow, much more confident in Israel's ability to defend itself than any terrorist's ability to harm it.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Update: flying out tomorrow, much more confident in Israel's ability to defend itself than any terrorist's ability to harm it.
Enjoy your trip, and safe travels.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
I would travel to TLV regardless but just listen to what the locals are saying and exercise more than your usual sense of precaution.

IanUk - I would be hesitant to travel to London because for as long as I can remember it has been a city targeted by terrorism, first the IRA and now the fundamentalist Muslims. The Underground bombing etc.

Just as I would not got to New York because planes fly into buildings there.

I often travel to Bali and lots of people say do not go there - bombs go off there

I think we should not tell other people what to do- but by all means explain the circumstances, and then let them make their minds up
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by adampenrith
I would travel to TLV regardless but just listen to what the locals are saying and exercise more than your usual sense of precaution.

IanUk - I would be hesitant to travel to London because for as long as I can remember it has been a city targeted by terrorism, first the IRA and now the fundamentalist Muslims. The Underground bombing etc.

Just as I would not got to New York because planes fly into buildings there.

I often travel to Bali and lots of people say do not go there - bombs go off there

I think we should not tell other people what to do- but by all means explain the circumstances, and then let them make their minds up
Don't forget movie theaters, adampenrith. After the Colorado nutjob opened fire, those are now unsafe everywhere.

Okay, that's OMNI'ish, but as I said above, I would go to Israel today without hesitation. I'd pass on Gaza at the moment, though.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Don't forget movie theaters, adampenrith. After the Colorado nutjob opened fire, those are now unsafe everywhere.

Okay, that's OMNI'ish, but as I said above, I would go to Israel today without hesitation. I'd pass on Gaza at the moment, though.
May we too meet at the border one day! Actually, on second thought, the border is a long drive for me.
Hey, they said there'd never be peace between Egypt and Israel or Jordan and Israel. Even with the cold peace, there are still relations and no war. And Morsi has actually taken a stand on protecting the Sinai border, more so than Mubarak did. So who knows what the future will bring there. But maybe more and more citizens will join FT, and end the conflict once and for all
Old Nov 20, 2012, 7:33 am

maybe more and more citizens will join FT, and end the conflict once and for all
Haha, oh the day where there's no conflict on FT.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
The conflict seems to be over, at least for now (effective 1400GMT Nov 21).
Ceasefire announced a short time ago in Cairo by HRC and Egyptian FM Mohamed Kamel Amr.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
which carrier weer you booked with? I know UA isnt Refunding anything unless they CX the flight (which they havent as of yet still flying 2 a day and Full) but allowing a change of dates till 11/26 after that you must pay the difference in the fare
Late reply, but I was on el al mistake fare, so they were happy to cancel and refund me. It was kind of funny, because I said that I wanted to cancel because the current situation. They told me there was no travel advisory but since I had a "glitch ticket" they could do it.

My thoughts. It amazing that airlines cancel flights faster on weather related events that on security events.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:54 pm

Odd. They wouldn't let me cancel my mom's ticket, which was the mistake fare.

Either way, I'm here and safe, didn't hear anything about the bus until our flight landed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.