Travel from TLV to Sde Dov airport?

Old Nov 6, 12, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Travel from TLV to Sde Dov airport?

We land in TLV at 3:15pm on a Sunday in January via ElAl. I am considering a Israir flight to Eilat that leaves Sde Dov airport at 5:45pm. Do you think we could make that? I have heard that the arrival security at TLV takes a while. We are trying to get to Eilat early enough to get across the border. Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 12, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
It will be very tight, but doable. Why not fly to Eilat from TLV?
Old Nov 6, 12, 4:30 pm

Sunday is a regular working day in Israel - you will be driving through the afternoon rush hour. Fly from TLV to Eilat.
Old Nov 6, 12, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

The flights I have found so far from TLV get us to Eilat too late to cross the border.
Old Nov 6, 12, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by talljames View Post
The flights I have found so far from TLV get us to Eilat too late to cross the border.
As noted, afternoon traffic could really hider your plans - even if everything else worked out perfect.

I would like very much to discuss your crossing the border (assuming from Eilat) , but you have not asked for advice regarding the wisdom (or lack hereof) of doing it.
Old Nov 6, 12, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Thumper, any advice from you would be great! About any part of the crossing or the whole Petra/Wadi Rum experience. If it matters we are planning to book Desert Eco Tours to pick up in Eilat. I think. I'm still trying to decide. Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 12, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
With deepest apologies - if you are going to Petra - Wadi Rum area - in other words Jordan, you will have a wonderful experience. The Jordanian hospitality will be outstanding.

I would not advise anyone to enter into Egypt via Eilat, and that is what my comment was predicated upon. A poor post on my behalf, I forgot you can go East as well as South from Eilat.

Lots of water, sun screen, and maybe some trail mix or salty wafers.
I have seen Desert Eco tours on my various trips south as Mrs. Thumper and I love to go hiking and exploring. Wear the lightest long sleeve shirts you can find, neckerchief and hat. Sturdy shoes, of course.

Search this Thread