Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Which rental car company do you prefer in Israel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lots of them, no status

Now that we live over this side of the planet, we have to rent when we visit. Last time we used Budget, but they were kind of crappy, so I'd rather use someone else.

I'd love your suggestions.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:02 am

I have seen both good reviews AND bad reviews on the forums for EVERY car rental company in Israel, which means that it is a matter of luck as to the service and car that you get on any particular day (same as in every country, as per my own personal experience). Eldan is currently getting a lot of positive reports and Shlomo-Sixt is getting a lot of negative ones.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I would also stay away from Shlomo-Sixt. Agreed as well on Eldan. We've had some great experiences with them, and they tend to have good deals, especially if not renting from TLV airport.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I would also stay away from Shlomo-Sixt. Agreed as well on Eldan. We've had some great experiences with them, and they tend to have good deals, especially if not renting from TLV airport.
Thanks. I will have to look into that. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to take a taxi up to our family's house and rent a car a day later. We'll be tired anyway.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 5:38 am
Original Poster

A related question... I understand this has been a bit in flux since our most recent visit, so I need the latest info. Which rental agencies *are* in the terminal/in the garage across the street, and which ones involve a shuttle ride? With two kids in tow, I don't want a shuttle ride.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:22 am

That's a question that you have to ask the rental companies. Assume that they all use the shuttle unless you are told otherwise. I read recently that Avis now brings the car to the terminal garage, but .... get it in writing from them !
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:43 am

I agree with others that Eldan is probably best. I saw here on Flyertalk someone said that Avis is now in the terminal. However, this is a not, IMO, a good reason to choose a car. Price and service should have some standing.

To the person who said they may rent the following day. That IS a good idea. First of all, you save the airport surcharge and second of all, you do not have to worry about being fully awake after a long flight.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
OP, where is your family's house?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

They are in Nazareth Illit
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

By the way, I have a reservation in with a killer price from National right now, but I understood they are a distance from the terminal. I never paid them any mind before because I haven't used them. Are they more of a hassle than the others?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:11 am

Is National at the airport or near the airport? If its near the airport, unless they are offering to pick you up, im not sure how you would get to their office unless you take a cab.

Keep in mind that when you book online, you get the base rate- not including all the insurances that they will add on. Unless you have a "World" mastercard they will not waive the CDW (being from Canada, I've been successful in getting this waived with Thifty by bringing in my credit card's policies/coverages booklet but it was a hassle and took some nudging on my part). In general, I have not had this problem with Eldan, whom I book with regularly on their website (i still do bring in my credit card policy). I usually rent in Jerusalem by the hotels, and the service is good compared to other car rental companies (in Jerusalem). My last car rental with them was a Mazda 3, with 8 KM on it!!

I find all the car rental companies at the airport to be good, but I too have heard that Avis seems to be the easier of the bunch at the airport these days.

Budget is probably the worst- good rates, but just bad overall in everything.

National (didnt think they were around), Hertz, Thrifty, Avis- are all fine. I would double check to see how they calculate a daily rate though. I cant recall off the top of my head, but most of them do 24 hours= a day, and others (I think Hertz) calculates a day up to 6pm or so (so if you rent it at 5pm, and return it the next day at 5pm- its considered 2 days..not 1).

Last edited by simba8; Oct 31, 2012 at 9:35 am
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
If you are in Natzeret Ilit, look into hotel locations in Tveriya.

If I have a long booking window, I find Avis is a good buy. Closer in, Budget. One thing for certain is that the rates do fluctuate regularly, and it is not unusual for me to rebook 2 or 3 times before the actual rental.

I do agree with you about Budget service (!)
Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simba8

Keep in mind that when you book online, you get the base rate- not including all the insurances that they will add on. Unless you have a "World" mastercard they will not waive the CDW (being from Canada, I've been successful in getting this waived with Thifty by bringing in my credit card's policies/coverages booklet but it was a hassle and took some nudging on my part).
Yeah, That makes it complicated on SOME Of the web sites, but others let you add in the CDW from the get-go.

with national, right now I have a reservation for a full size *with* CDW already added in (no World MC for us) for ~$666 (actual pricing is 515 Euro, but they given an estimated conversion) for two weeks. I looked at eldan, and they were over $1300.

National operates out of the Europcar stand if that helps you tell me if it's a big trek or not.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
Yeah, That makes it complicated on SOME Of the web sites, but others let you add in the CDW from the get-go.

with national, right now I have a reservation for a full size *with* CDW already added in (no World MC for us) for ~$666 (actual pricing is 515 Euro, but they given an estimated conversion) for two weeks. I looked at eldan, and they were over $1300.

National operates out of the Europcar stand if that helps you tell me if it's a big trek or not.
You will need to choose whats more important Price or Convenience?
Eldan and Avis - operate out of the terminal garage. The others are by shuttle.
If the price is right, shuttle.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simba8
You will need to choose whats more important Price or Convenience?
Eldan and Avis - operate out of the terminal garage. The others are by shuttle.
If the price is right, shuttle.
OK, that is what I needed to hear. I did have a pretty good price option available from Avis, too. The convenience is definitely worth some extra $ -- just not twice as much!

So Hertz is not in the terminal? That's for certain?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.