Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Visiting Oman in Ramadan - What to Expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue

It's looking like I have a business trip to Muscat around the start of Ramadan and I'd like to understand how restrictive things can be in the daytime and at night. Surviving daylight hours without a bite to eat is going to be easy enough (schedules mean I end up doing this a few times on most of my trips) but having a job that involves talking a lot (and having a voice that goes collapses pretty quickly), I'm more worried about how the locals might react to the occasional discreet sip of water.

Also, how does Ramadan affect nightlife in Muscat. On my last trip there, the beer (and stronger stuff) flowed freely into the night at my hotel. Can I expect restrictions?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:48 pm

you can eat freely during the day.. just don't tease anyone.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:42 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Not sure about Ramadan, but during the Eids the country goes dry. For more "on the ground" responses, try a post in http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60&
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:24 am

No eating or drinking in public during daylight hours. Most offices will have a room for non-Muslims to eat or drink.
Usually, all hotel and bars shut at the beginning of Ramadan. After a few days, things may ease depending on the hotel. Eg restaurant may serve wine, or a bar is opened; in both cases for residents only.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Internaut
Also, how does Ramadan affect nightlife in Muscat. On my last trip there, the beer (and stronger stuff) flowed freely into the night at my hotel. Can I expect restrictions?
Yep. Doesn't flow as freely, depending on the hotel. Minibars can still be stocked (at least as far as I remember).

If you're interested in the culture, it's a great time of year to enjoy the Ramadan nightlife, without alcohol. Get invited to an iftar or sahoor, enjoy some of the late night people watching, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.