Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Do I need to take any cash to Dubai?

Old May 10, 12, 7:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club

I'm off to Dubai next month, staying at the Jumeirah Madinat on half board.

We don't plan to do much in Dubai apart from maybe visit a shopping mall or 2 during the Summer Surprises festival and maybe a trip to Modhesh World and Wild Wadi with our daughter.

Do I really need to take any cash with me or will I be OK with just some credit cards.

I have Amex/Visa/Mastercard so all bases are covered in that respect.

The only reason I think I might possibly need cash is for a taxi, although I will probably just use the hotel's 7 series and add it to my bill.

Am I forgetting anything obvious?

Thanks
Old May 10, 12, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
From your description, no, nothing obvious.

For the cards you use and their overseas charges, does it make sense for you to make smaller purchases by cash ?

Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a few Dhs in your pocket for emergencies, but there are ATMs everywhere and you can suck up the occasional withdrawal charge.

From memory, where you would need cash:

- most taxis
- shopping and cold drinks in the souks
- crossing the creek by abra (1Dh coin )
- some street food, e.g. fresh coconuts on the creek side

But cards are accepted everywhere else - malls, stores, restaurants, coffee shops, etc.

Enjoy Dubai. I know it's not to everyone's taste, but I love it there.

hth
Old May 10, 12, 10:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by dunk View Post
From your description, no, nothing obvious.

For the cards you use and their overseas charges, does it make sense for you to make smaller purchases by cash ?

Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a few Dhs in your pocket for emergencies, but there are ATMs everywhere and you can suck up the occasional withdrawal charge.

From memory, where you would need cash:

- most taxis
- shopping and cold drinks in the souks
- crossing the creek by abra (1Dh coin )
- some street food, e.g. fresh coconuts on the creek side

But cards are accepted everywhere else - malls, stores, restaurants, coffee shops, etc.

Enjoy Dubai. I know it's not to everyone's taste, but I love it there.

hth
Thanks, I'll probably just use my debit card and grab 1,000 Dh from the cash machine at the airport for emergencies, if I don't spend it all someone at the hotel will get a nice tip
Old May 10, 12, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by PanGalactic View Post
Thanks, I'll probably just use my debit card and grab 1,000 Dh from the cash machine at the airport for emergencies, if I don't spend it all someone at the hotel will get a nice tip
Change them back at Travelex at LHR for the Avios ! Might even get double figures
Old May 10, 12, 1:25 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
Don't withdraw 1000 dhs or odds are you'll get two 500 dhs notes which you'll have a hard time changing. Better to withdraw 900 dhs (worst case you get 1x 500 and 2x200) or 400 dhs.
Old May 10, 12, 1:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by csdf View Post
Don't withdraw 1000 dhs or odds are you'll get two 500 dhs notes which you'll have a hard time changing. Better to withdraw 900 dhs (worst case you get 1x 500 and 2x200) or 400 dhs.
Good point, how about 995?
Old May 12, 12, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Jumeirah Sirius Gold, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Traveller, PUCCI Fan Club
I would just pick up 100 worth from the currency exchange desk which is located amongst the post passport control duty free shop... Pretty much opposite the bag collection belts. Very easy. Rates are fine with no fees.

You will have a great time at Jumeirah. We go twice a year with our kids, normally to JBH. What dates are you there?
Old May 12, 12, 3:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oxtailsoup View Post
I would just pick up 100 worth from the currency exchange desk which is located amongst the post passport control duty free shop... Pretty much opposite the bag collection belts. Very easy. Rates are fine with no fees.

You will have a great time at Jumeirah. We go twice a year with our kids, normally to JBH. What dates are you there?
Middle of June, for 6 nights. I know it's going to be scorching, but I like visiting places out of season when they are 1/2 empty.
Old May 12, 12, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by PanGalactic View Post
Middle of June, for 6 nights. I know it's going to be scorching, but I like visiting places out of season when they are 1/2 empty.
Will that coincide with the Dubai Do ? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...5-17-june.html
Old May 13, 12, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by csdf View Post

I know it's not much use if you need change for the airport cab but I ended up with a 1,000 Dhs note once, easy to change once at your Hotel, just get the front desk at the to break it down.
Old May 13, 12, 4:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dunk View Post
Will that coincide with the Dubai Do ? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...5-17-june.html
Heh, Interesting! it kind of overlaps

I don't think I'll be able to come to the do itself as I will be with my wife/little one, but I could possibly sneak out, swing by the welcome drinks and say hello

Search this Thread